Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

NV #629 Life, the Universe, and Everything Report

Rockin' the West Coast... Femmekat's Avatar

NV #629 Life, the Universe, and Everything Report

I'm suffering from a serious track hangover today, but I wouldn't do a thing differently. 6 days at the track simply flew by, and I already miss it!

Boston Moto 9/29:

Met the guy bringing my new trailer as I pulled into the track, thank god I got something in time to avoid the rain and sleep in over the weekend as it was pouring. The next morning I got my new rubber mounted, and headed out on track. My goal for the day was to get used to my new Dunlops, test out the Kates suspension tweaks, and regain confidence in my transmission. I knew it was a lot of different stuff to get used to, but holy crap it was like being on a totally different bike. The difference going from a street/track tire to a completely different profile was astounding. Totally different tip in, mid corner stability, and a whole lot more. I had to change everything from entry speed, braking, and tip in point but absolutely love them. I was still being a big weenie about driving out of T3 and T12,after all the 2nd gear slippage I had previously but felt relaxed and comfortable by the end of the day. I wasn't pushing the speed at all, and finished day #1 on track shiny side up, and warmed up. Now for the real riding...

Thanks a ton Roland, Shawn, Mo, and Frenchy for helping me with my wheels and being awesome garage mates. Its always nice to pit with a different crew and hang out

Sorry Roland for the shopping spree at Walmart...

Thursday/Friday Practice:
    Didn't happen because it was pouring and instead I visited the wonderful world of Harbor Freight. Awesome!

I ended up pitting with the EX Mafia because Dan and Roland were over there, and there were races on TV

I also fed Roland too much vodka, discussed politics and saw the NESR aftermath the next morning. And BTW, we all know you're not a dick.

Saturday:
    Brrrrr... Chilly in the morning, but took it easy the first practice, woke up my body and got the tires up to temp. 2nd practice I pushed a little harder and was ready to go.

Race #3 - MW GP
    I'm not going to lie, I was scared shitless to do this race. I love my 600, but it was not the bike I wanted to start racing on, primarily because of all the tall tales about "The Meatgrinder." My first race weekend I stayed in HW races for the smaller field size but can't hide with the big bikes forever. My personal goal was to survive the race, lol. When we gridded up I almost threw up I was so nervous there were so many bikes out there. I had a half assed launch mostly because I wanted to hang back tipping into T1. I had even contemplated just waving everyone by at the start
    I passed one bike, and held him off until the very last lap.

As the bikes funneled through T1, and 1a I cruised in back waiting to see what would happen, and sure enough crash in T3. Then in the bowl, then somewhere else. Whew, so far so good. I avoided the bikes and bodies on track, stuck to my lines, tried to remember to breathe, and tried like hell not to look at the ambulance parked on the side of the bowl for several laps of the race. Finished the race with a sense of relief, and happy that I got the mental practice of being aware in my peripheral view of stuff going on, but not getting distracted by it and being able to focus on the race. It was a good learning experience. My times didn't drop as much as I had hoped, but I did have a new PB.

Race # 12 HW Superbike
    I wasn't too stressed about this one, everything seemed like a piece of cake after the anxiety I had over the prior MW race. I had a so-so launch, chased a couple riders, but most importantly was relaxed and actually had FUN for the first time. I was in the zone, and grinning ear to ear when I came off track. Nope, I wasn't any faster, but damn, that was a blast!

Sunday:

I was cold and tired in the morning, so only did the 2nd practice which was cut short when Mo decided to slide across the start/finish after dancing with the flag guy. Lots of sparks. Glad you're ok buddy.

Race #1 NV GTO
    The worst launch of my life... I ended up doing like 4 or 5 baby wheelies off the start, felt like I was riding a fresh colt and made me giggle but a bit dissappointing. The guy I had passed the day before took off and I chased him for a couple laps. I was getting into my stride when the race was red flagged behind me. (So glad Mike and Stu are ok! )

We came in, sat on pre grid for a while then everyone left. I was a 'lil confused and had to ask what we were doing, then went back to the garage and threw the warmers back on. When the race re-started I was really distracted and had completely lost my focus. It took me 2 full laps to get my bearings but never got back with it. I ended up 3rd out of 5 due to crashes...but wanted some more track time to re-focus.

I had planned on signing up for race #8, and had permission from registration to add it after I finished race #1 but when I went back in to registration they changed their minds

I was completely depressed to be leaving the track, especially because I am moving in a week or two so begged Tony (at Dan K's encouragement) to let us ride on Monday. One more day at the track!

Thanks everyone in the EX garage for being so cool, helping me with stands, lending a warmer when mine crapped out, a heater so I didn't freeze, Dan for not crashing my bike and being an amazing group of people. I would have loved to pit with you next year but will be pitting 3,000 miles West.

TTD Monday 10/4
    I woke up to a drizzle, and even colder temps. Limping around the garages I wonder what the hell I'm doing still at the track. I ran 2 sessions in intermediate, warmed up, then decided to bump so I could build some more fast. I especially wanted to work on my line and entry speed into the bowl, and picked up some more corner speed along the way as the fast guys went past. I ended up only doing 5 sessions total because my legs were so tired, but am a fan of quality over quantity. I was great to have another day at NHMS, and a great way to finish the season.

On a sad note...
    If there was a single reason why I would stay on the East Coast, it would be because of the amazing community of riders, and supporters at the track, and on this board. You have all been truly amazing, and I will miss every one of you. I know there are good people everywhere, but you guys have been the best. I am excited but sad to be heading to CA, and will keep you all updated on my progress. You will be the first to get pics of me dragging elbows on the left coast

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    I dunno, you dress too fashionably to be a communist
    LRRS Novice #629
    I ride/drive:
    2000 Yamaha R6
    1996 F-350 4x4 diesel truck
    and anything else with serious hp

Re: NV #629 Life, the Universe, and Everything Report

I love reading the race reports and this is a outstanding one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    I love reading the race reports and this is a outstanding one.
    Well Mike, I you, AND your Mom's little dog
    I had to write something to entertain you while you heal up

Last edited by Femmekat; 10-05-10 at 09:48 AM.

LRRS Novice #629
    I ride/drive:
    2000 Yamaha R6

Sweet, way to go bud

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

bummed i didnt bump into you again before i left sunday. i wish you the best out there, lauren. rip it up.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Good luck out there. :-(

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Lauren,

I was great to finally meet you at the BoMo day on Wednesday and hang with you and the dog for a bit on Fri night. Best wishes out there on the left coast! Have fun riding all those tracks that we don't get here in the great white north. Hopefully you can come back and visit during a race weekend.

Joel

You will do well out on the left coast. I hear nothing prepares you for riding those tracks like Loudon does.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Good Luck and have a Safe Trip....

shit I forgot you were leaving. I woulda said bye in person on Saturday. have fun out in CA and have a safe drive.

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

Thank YOU for letting me ride your bike, I absolutely loved it. You did well, very smooth from what I saw. It was fun having you around the garage too. I'll see you soon enough and say bye then.

Nice job. Was nice to see you before you left. It is nerve racking isn't it? That feeling never goes away.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

You did an outstanding job this weekend! I am sorry to have ended the Sunday practice early. I hope to see you at the Classics!

Quote Originally Posted by mauro#749 View Post
    You did an outstanding job this weekend! I am sorry to have ended the Sunday practice early. I hope to see you at the Classics!
    Yes.... I am contemplating coming back(with bike) for the Classic...

LRRS Novice #629
    I ride/drive:
    2000 Yamaha R6

It was great meeting you and hanging out with you at the track. I hope you come visit us again when you get bored of cali.

Quote Originally Posted by Femmekat View Post
    I ended up pitting with the EX Mafia because Dan and Roland were over there, and there were races on TV
    For the record, I'm NOT a member of the EX Mafia. I'm associated with the 125 cult pitting 2 garages over. (Ok, I may be a closet associate member of the EX Mafia due to my spare track day bike being half an EX500...)

Quote Originally Posted by "Dangerous" Dan K View Post
    Thank YOU for letting me ride your bike, I absolutely loved it.
    Too bad you couldn't pass me on my measly 125 while you were on it!

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

Quote Originally Posted by rolker View Post

Too bad you couldn't pass me on my measly 125 while you were on it!
    Roland you're a dick

But in all seriousness, I really do want to come back and visit. Maybe if I put some hard work in over the winter, then come back for the classic my bike will actually pass your measly 125

How did those new tires and bearings work out for you on Tuesday and Wednesday?

LRRS Novice #629
    I ride/drive:
    2000 Yamaha R6

Quote Originally Posted by Femmekat View Post
    How did those new tires and bearings work out for you on Tuesday and Wednesday?
    Worked fine until I blew up the motor midday Tuesday...

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763

good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by rolker View Post
    Worked fine until I blew up the motor midday Tuesday...
    Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    Huh?
    Yeah, the piston spontaneously disintegrated during Tuesday's TTD. It will make the winter rebuild a bit more interesting.

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763