Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

what do people use for trailers?

im thinking about getting a cheap one for like under $200, and adding the plywood, but then I'd have to build some sort of ramp...which could be a pain in the ass.

Home Depot has some for $600 and they look very nice, w/ ramps and everything all set to go.

what do people here use?

im gonna haul a max of 2 bikes on it.

thanks!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    on and on, South of Heaven

I got a 1475 lb. capacity jobby from Harbor Freight over the winter for $199. It should do the trick for many years to come...

Making a ramp really requires nothing more than going to your local Home Depot and buying the 'ramp kit' for about $20. Just attach them to both ends of a 2 x 6 plank and you're done...

I've heard some suspect things about those Snow Bear trailers. Cheap being the most common one. I've been told by a coupla unhappy consumers that they only have a life expectancy of a coupla years. Just what I've heard, I've no experience with 'em myself...

But if you're looking to spend $600, you can find MUCH better trailers out there. If/when I do it again, I'm going with a snow mobile trailer and adding a steak body...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

I couldn't locate a quality trailer locally for less than a grand -- the really nice ones were in the $2K range. Ended up with one of these:

http://www.loadrite.com/products/MC1800.htm

I've seen those trailer kits work just fine for some, but they're not to my liking. Bear in mind, you'll need to load the trailer so that the tounge weight is approximately 10% of the total towing weight, and you'll want anchor points for the front of the bike to be inline with the forks (helps to keep the front wheel planted), and wide enough apart to provide sufficient lateral stability.

Last edited by ChR1s; 05-13-04 at 08:20 AM.
    A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

www.ronstoyshop.com

No sales tax!!!

Tell 'em *I* sent ya! Good friends, just about 1/2 mile from my shop...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Originally posted by Stoneman
    I got a 1475 lb. capacity jobby from Harbor Freight over the winter for $199. It should do the trick for many years to come...

Making a ramp really requires nothing more than going to your local Home Depot and buying the 'ramp kit' for about $20. Just attach them to both ends of a 2 x 6 plank and you're done...

I've heard some suspect things about those Snow Bear trailers. Cheap being the most common one. I've been told by a coupla unhappy consumers that they only have a life expectancy of a coupla years. Just what I've heard, I've no experience with 'em myself...

But if you're looking to spend $600, you can find MUCH better trailers out there. If/when I do it again, I'm going with a snow mobile trailer and adding a steak body...
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90154

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

snowbear

Jay..

Do you know which SnowBear trailer your friends have? What kinds of problems? Do you think the HF trailer is more durable? (I know..its all relative).

I'm in the same boat as Green Hornet and have been looking at options including HF and the Home Depot Snowbear (had been looking at Trailer in a bag until you guys talked me out of it). The Snowbear one I was looking at is very similar to the Uhaul moto trailer..although the Snowbear has 12" inch tires and the Uhaul one has 6 or 8.