Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Pirelli Diablo superbike pro slick track day tire has anyone tried these? Thoughts?

Pirelli Diablo superbike pro slick track day tire has anyone tried these? Thoughts?

I have been looking at these for a while. Trying to find ways to cut racing cost this year and i am really looking into a pair of these. I'm not in the fast group, my fastest lap last year was a 1:24. so im thinking i can ease up on the Dunlop race tires even tho i lovem for something more affordable to me. but before i make that leap i want to ask you guys if any of you have ever practiced or raced on them and how do they compare to the Dunlop dot race tires? for those of you that aren't familiar with these exact tires here is two informative links i found.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/544/56...Tire-Peek.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBjdhBmBbyA

also if you have tried them where did you by them from?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Roland; 04-02-14 at 12:33 PM.
    LRRS/CCS AM# 240
    Sponsored by: Smoke Shack Southern BBQ - StreetAndComp.com - AXO - Woodcraft

Re: Pirelli Diablo superbike pro slick track day tire has anyone tried these? Thought

Best advice I got as a NV was buy Take-Off's and save your Cash....but its your call. Also, you can ride take-off's in the 19's easily.....just a thought and my 2Cts

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Pirelli Diablo superbike pro slick track day tire has anyone tried these? Thought

Roland, I'm sure Tony will chime in. He's not currently racing, but he's run these back to back with the Pirelli race slicks on his CBR600 at a quicker than :24 pace around NHMS. It's definitely safe to say you can race on them as a Novice with grip to spare.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    Best advice I got as a NV was buy Take-Off's and save your Cash....but its your call. Also, you can ride take-off's in the 19's easily.....just a thought and my 2Cts
    This is true i ran mostly take offs all of last year. brought a couple of new fronts but all of my rears were take offs. The thing with take offs for me is they are always a little bit of a gamble. I can't read tires at all. Im trying to learn how to but not there yet. so i have to depend on others to read them for me and tell me if they are any good or not. The thought of having a new tire that is almost just as good but can get me 200-300 laps before i notice a differance is just an amazing notion to me. As Novice i see on average 49 laps per race weekend (thats 3 races - 4 practice sessions - at 7 laps average per session) that means i will only need 2 sets of tires for the year and can stay on good rubber that i know the history of. That also saves me headache in the pits no need to worry about swapping out tires every other race weekend or after a track day i can just relax most days have fun. All things aside just doing some research right now on a product that i am very curious about and want you guys input on it..

LRRS/CCS AM# 240
    Sponsored by: Smoke Shack Southern BBQ - StreetAndComp.com - AXO - Woodcraft

many guys in other regions race on the Trackday pros for the longer life. They are only minimal less grip - nothing you'd likely feel until you are in the teens.

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    Ha, ha ... I still do this as an Ex ... not the 19's of course, but the take-offs....

Last edited by Gecko; 04-02-14 at 07:25 PM.
    John
    CCS/LRRS Expert #69
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2004
    "Speed has a kind of affinity for me, it's the time God and I have our little talks."

I lost track of the days I put in on those slicks with a 1000 and there's still meat on them. Great tire. They're winning races all over the country too, no need to worry.

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

I remember asking about those when I had the R1, and from everyone who had them actually mounted said they don't have as much ultimate grip, but they slide really really predictably. I dunno about you, but I love that in a tire. The only problem, you can't run the Supersport races legally, you need a DOT tire for Supersport.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!