Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Lorenzo pronounced Lorentho - thanks Ralph now I can rest peacefully at night

Lorenzo pronounced Lorentho - thanks Ralph now I can rest peacefully at night

Glad Ralph pointed out that many SPEED announcers say Lorenzo when Jorge says his name is pronounced Lorentho. So to honor his wishes Ralph said Lorentho, but Scott said Lorenzo a couple times.

I guess he figured we already knew the first name is pronounced Hor Hey, and not Jor Gee.

I hope Jorge watched the race on SPEED and was pleased with Ralph.

Not to be a complainer as I remember when we were lucky to get any form of motorcycle racing on tv and not just the Carlsbad MX GP on Wide World of Sports or the Superbikers once a year. Kind of miss the Superbikers.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by backinthesaddle; 07-30-12 at 09:53 AM.
    2013 ZX6R-636

Re: Lorenzo pronounced Lorentho - thanks Ralph now I can rest peacefully at night

I picked up on that about 3 seasons ago. The Speed channel commentators are tools and they seem to know next to nothing about motorcycle racing.

Now BBC Sport provides true MotoGP coverage: smart, knowledgeable commentators, pre-race pit walks, post race interview, good analitics and so forth.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Ambition Outweighs Talent strgt's Avatar

Re: Lorenzo pronounced Lorentho - thanks Ralph now I can rest peacefully at night

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    I picked up on that about 3 seasons ago. The Speed channel commentators are tools and they seem to know next to nothing about motorcycle racing.

Now BBC Sport provides true MotoGP coverage: smart, knowledgeable commentators, pre-race pit walks, post race interview, good analitics and so forth.
    BBC's coverage is better than our NASCAR coverage.

www.streetandcomp.com
    LRRS/CCS/WERA Am. #290
    NESBA Adv. #290

Kind of wondered why they show SBK and WSS post race interviews but never MGP. Still better than Sam Posey in a gold ABC sports blazer trying to walk up the ledge at Carlsbad USGP MX or Larry Huffman saying "Hannah is on Bailey like a dog on a piece of meat" when covering SX.

2013 ZX6R-636

I loved how he had to explain himself every third time he said Loren-tho.

LRRS 878 Clapped out Gixxah

like Bar-thih-lona...never got that

Funny cause in Hereh (Jerez) its not Hereth. Whatever, it still LorenZo to me, lol

LRRS #387

Ralph said the explanation was in response to online complaints. He didn't realize every time he opens his mouth we're all in agony no matter the pronunciation.

'02 SV650 street|woods|race LRRS #128

Heres a positive vote for Mr. Daytona Scott Russell. He commentates it for us 'racer' or 'wanna-be racer' types who regularly watch bike racing. Shaheen and G White dumb it down for the 'masses' who dont regularly watch it, or have never seen a race. Fast Freddy is almost embarassing to listen to during the race. Scotty Russell delivers it right.

Quote Originally Posted by pontifex View Post
    That is a Madrid thing. The capital of Spain.

I agree re Russell doing it well. Re world SBK I like when Steve Martin corrects Jonathan Green when Green over exaggerates something. Worst by far (IMO) is when they have Jamie Bestwick a BMX guy doing color during MX coverage. He doesn't shut up.

2013 ZX6R-636

+1 for Russell, definitely nice to NOT hear "Those thingies on the rider's legs are a material that actually rubs the ground!!" from him. I understand they're trying to draw new viewers, but man, they really should consider the fact that the majority of viewers at least know the basics.
    Russell is refreshing and not afraid to call it like he sees it. Case in point, when he commented on Spies not enjoying being in MotoGP. Russell came right out and said he just didn't get that. He had been there and enjoyed every minute. Love the honest insight....

LRRS #387

Russel is good, simple and to the point. Ralph BLOWS... GWhite is better but not by much. and the whole tho vs ZO thing.. they are the ONLY ones who say it that way.... every other coverage I have seen post race interview, motogp live pass, BBC, EVERY OTHER MEDIA says LO-REN-ZO... I just dont get the point? is Ralph trying to be an international man of intrigue?

I think its Greg White who also says LorenTHO just before he "rejoins the world feed". Then they say "we riiiiiiiiide with Jorge LorenZO" when doing an onboard shot.
    Maybe Ralph was worried he would be overwhelmed with tweets about the pronunciation instead of just ignoring them.

2013 ZX6R-636

Quote Originally Posted by pontifex View Post
    After spending some time in Spain, I also wondered, so I asked around.
    It goes back to a time when a King of Spain had a lisp.....you know - the old Emperor has no clothes thing.
    It does not imply we foreigners have to follow suite.

Ralph IS a tool - that man going overses would be the typical ugly American Europeans love to poke fun at.
    Pay the $60 for MotoGP.com coverage! (all practices/Quali etc) live and on-line replay.

Graham
    "If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee — that will do them in"

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

i like shaheen and russell has become much better. when he first started i could barely understand him. i think he was still recovering from his accident and his southern drawl wasnt helping

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports