Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Number plates

Number plates

Is this different from last year?
    I thought we were allowed 4" decals on the tail.
    Are there any I4 bikes that could fit 6" decals in their tail?

18.1.3 All machines must have 3 sets of numbers;
    one on the center front and one on both sides. Numbers must be a minimum of 6” high, be spaced 1/2” apart and allow 1/2” of background color (White for Novices and Experts and yellow for Amateurs). Side number plates
    must be behind the rider on the machine’s tail section or on the lower fairing on the side of the machine. They must be visible when the rider is in position on the machine. If the front fairing
    is broken by an air intake the number must be displayed on both sides of the machine. There are no exceptions to this rule. Riders should be aware that these requirements are that of LRRS and may not be accepted at any other CCS event.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Jim; 04-15-12 at 08:25 AM.
    EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

Subscribed. This ought to be good.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

Three 6" numbers on each side of the front fairing if it is broken by an air intake? Lol.

Re: Number plates

Nothing from this year but heres a shot from last year. 6 inch numbers. Its really not that difficult. They had the same rule last year that you guys cried about. They just didnt enforce it. Stop being a bitch.

Last edited by union; 04-15-12 at 09:25 AM.
    James

Animal Hill Super Motard Champion Johnny B's Avatar

This is the new wording you should be aware of:

"18.1.4 All sets of numbers displayed on a bike must match each other and must be the correct number for the rider. A bike may not have more than one rider number at anytime while on the track proper."

This rule was put in the book this year after several incidents where the rider was improperly identified while on track, specifically a Turn 12 crash where the side number was called in instead of the front plate. Anytime includes practice. I'm getting this out now instead of explaining it on Pit Lane.

Johnny B. (the other one) ®
    Butler's Rest Home - "No Vacancy"
    Super Motard Champ 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985

Visit the Rest Home: http://resthome.50megs.com

"Listen to your ass, it's giving you lots of information!" - Buddy Melges

The only problem I have w/putting 6" numbers on the rear is that it doesn't "allow for 1/2" of background color"... if you look at James' plates, those numbers have to be cut down to size to fit and go right to the edge of the plates, which I guess technically should fail because they aren't allowing that 1/2" of background around the numbers. I can barely get 4" numbers to fit. I don't know what tech would prefer... 4" numbers that fit on the plate, or 6" numbers that need to be cut down to fit?

Last edited by BrianC; 04-15-12 at 09:48 AM.
    LRRS am #121

"So this is what your race program has become... the back of a pickup truck huh?" -PK

Quote Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
    The only problem I have w/putting 6" numbers on the rear is that it doesn't "allow for 1/2" of background color"... if you look at James' plates, those numbers have to be cut down to size to fit and go right to the edge of the plates, which I guess technically should fail because they aren't allowing that 1/2" of background around the numbers. I can barely get 4" numbers to fit. I don't know what tech would prefer... 4" numbers that fit on the plate, or 6" numbers that need to be cut down to fit?
    I passed tech every time. I didnt cut much off at all. Seriously its really not that difficult. If you give me an hour or so I can get a photo of this years tail.

James

I passed every time too, but I hate that fear of the possibility they are going to get all "technical" on my ass! I'm keeping the 4", easy enough to slap some #'s on there if need be.

LRRS am #121

"So this is what your race program has become... the back of a pickup truck huh?" -PK

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Almost the same as last year's rulebook. Number sizes were never 4". This was a CCS rule, I believe:

All machines must have numbers, one on the front and one on both sides. Numbers must be a minimum of 6” high, be spaced 1/2” apart and allow 1/2” of background color (White for Novices and Experts and yellow for Amateurs). Side number plates must be behind the rider on the machine’s tail section or on the lower fairing on the side of the machine. They must be visible when the rider is in position on the machine. If the front fairing is broken by an air intake the number must be displayed on both sides of the machine. (The riders left at Loudon) There are no exceptions to this rule. Riders should be aware that these requirements may not be accepted at any other CCS event.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

2012 CCS rulebook:

Numbers must be black and approximately 8” high and 1” wide, of standard block lettering with no shading, outlining or serifs. Number must be spaced approximately 1” from each other as well as the edge of the plate or display area. 6” or 4” numbers may be used on the rear plates as long as the number is clearly visible at speed. All numbers on any display must be the same size.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

its also worded correctly this year unlike last year where it conflicted with itself.

there were also plenty of riders, especially on R6's that had just one number on the tail. I would assume that the powers that be would want some numbers on the side fairing if that's the case. you can do some on the back portion of the lower by your feet.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by union
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
    I passed tech every time. I didnt cut much off at all. Seriously its really not that difficult. If you give me an hour or so I can get a photo of this years tail.
    Lol. So, basically you're saying that conforming to the rules is no problem providde you don't conform to the rules and just take a chance and hope tech lets you through. :-).

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by The Snowman
    Almost the same as last year's rulebook. Number sizes were never 4". This was a CCS rule, I believe:

All machines must have numbers, one on the front and one on both sides. Numbers must be a minimum of 6” high, be spaced 1/2” apart and allow 1/2” of background color (White for Novices and Experts and yellow for Amateurs). Side number plates must be behind the rider on the machine’s tail section or on the lower fairing on the side of the machine. They must be visible when the rider is in position on the machine. If the front fairing is broken by an air intake the number must be displayed on both sides of the machine. (The riders left at Loudon) There are no exceptions to this rule. Riders should be aware that these requirements may not be accepted at any other CCS event.
    4" numbers on the tail absolutely were legal in 2009 and 2010 I believe also.

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Wirelessly posted

Lol. So, basically you're saying that conforming to the rules is no problem providde you don't conform to the rules and just take a chance and hope tech lets you through. :-).
    eh?

James

I've been using 4" decals in both sides of my tail.

I as just curious if anyone else caught the 6" rule for this year.

And I did see the CCS rules already.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Wirelessly posted

Wasnt this same debate had last year?

Corey

Animal Hill Super Motard Champion Johnny B's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hondarider102 View Post
    Wirelessly posted

Wasn't this same debate had last year?
    I've been watching this debate for 16 years.

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Johnny B. (the other one) ®
    Butler's Rest Home - "No Vacancy"
    Super Motard Champ 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985

Visit the Rest Home: http://resthome.50megs.com

"Listen to your ass, it's giving you lots of information!" - Buddy Melges

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by union
    Wirelessly posted

eh?
    Well, the point was that the rules make it very difficult to conform. You said something to the effect of "it's possible, it just takes a litle work" and then posted a picture where the numbers aren't all 6" high and there isn't enough space around them. Then you said that you cut them to make them fit. So, you're not conforming to the rules as written.

Plus, you have a '1' in your number. Try conforming to the rules totally and having 888 as your number.

Wow you guys need something to bitch about huh? Just put the damn numbers on already.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

Typical nesr pit area. Make an observation or mention something that seems odd-you're a bitch.

You can't fit 2 10.5" X 7" rectangles on either the tail or the nose of an R6. I have seen people fail tech for not conforming and I think it's a legitimate concern. Plenty of people like to have a nice paint job and they deserve to know where they stand. It's not bitching and it's not unfounded.

Makes no difference to me. I don't race, but if I did, I'd want to know.

Last edited by Degsy; 04-15-12 at 04:05 PM.

Wirelessly posted

Well, the point was that the rules make it very difficult to conform. You said something to the effect of "it's possible, it just takes a litle work" and then posted a picture where the numbers aren't all 6" high and there isn't enough space around them. Then you said that you cut them to make them fit. So, you're not conforming to the rules as written.

Plus, you have a '1' in your number. Try conforming to the rules totally and having 888 as your number.
    Taking a bit off the corner of a number is a bit different then putting on a completely different size. I picked a number with a 1 in it intentionally to make it easier to put the proper size on my plates. Forgive me for putting a little forethought into racing instead of crying like a baby every year about the same thing. Looking over the thread from last year its the same people again.

It was written into the rule book last year 2011. Dont know why its an issue or a surprise this year.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    James

Wirelessly posted

Typical nesr pit area. Make an observation or mention something that seems odd-you're a bitch.

You can't fit 2 10.5" X 7" rectangles on either the tail or the nose of an R6. I have seen people fail tech for not conforming and I think it's a legitimate concern. Plenty of people like to have a nice paint job and they deserve to know where they stand. It's not bitching and it's not unfounded.

Then put the 6" numbers on there to show them how ridiculous it is.

Or buy some numberplates from miles and ziptie them to the front fairing of the bike..problem solved.

Last edited by csmutty; 04-15-12 at 04:11 PM.
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Yeah... I don't know how anything that anyone posted looks like bitching, but to answer Jim's questions about the # sizes, I'd say as a group we've reached the conclusion that the options are as follow: a.) you can take 6" numbers and cut em' down to 4" so they fit on your plates, or b.) put 4" numbers on . I think the only reason I went w/the 4" was because Street and Comp didn't have enough of the 6", and they told me the 4's would pass (on the rear)... they were right.

Just looking at my avatar pic., the dude behind me has like 3" numbers on the front and got thru tech!

Last edited by BrianC; 04-15-12 at 04:34 PM.
    LRRS am #121

6" on the tail is huge. I can see why they want larger numbers, but that doesn't seem to jive with the newer tails.

I'll be putting a single number on the tail, two on the sides, and one on the front. Like Brian, I don't want to have to worry about not passing tech.

Retired LRRS/CCS EX #212 | Woodcraft | Armour Bodies | Dainese USA |

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty
    Wirelessly posted

Then put the 6" numbers on there to show them how ridiculous it is.

Or buy some numberplates from miles and ziptie them to the front fairing of the bike..problem solved.
    Ok. Ziptied on number plates. That's the answer.
    Close thread.
    Lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast