Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

My own (much less ambitious) track trailer build - start with vent placement question

My own (much less ambitious) track trailer build - start with vent placement question

Hi all,

I bought a 6x10 v-nose all aluminum CargoPro trailer.

I bought a 14" roof vent, all the sealant / screws / putty tape that you're supposed to have and one of those Maxxair II Vents.

Humor me here....because I want to make sure I'm happy with where the vent is before I go and cut a hole in my new trailer.

I was looking at other people's trailers during LRRS 5, and it looks like most have their vents right in the middle. Since my trailer has a 6'1" inside height, and since I'm ~6 ft, I don't have a lot of clearance though, and I'm worried if I put it in the middle I'll keep bumping my head when I walk around in the trailer. I marked off a 14" square hole to cut out in the second full beam space, but I'm actually thinking of moving it up all the way to the first beam space. It's got a 12" V, so it wouldn't be right on the edge of the trailer, but I'm worried it might look retarded to have an appendage sticking right on the front of the top - that maxxair II is fairly big.

Maybe I just need a little encouragement before I cut a big hole in the first brand-new road-going machine I've ever owned.... but does anybody have any thoughts?

I might be able to post pics later if that helps....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Ductard; 08-20-14 at 02:48 PM.
    "Where are we going?...and why am I in this handbasket?"
    LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

Re: My own (much less ambitious) track trailer build - start with vent placement ques

Just cut the hole. You'll feel better after. As for your worries of bumping your head, first world problem. No different than going down to the basement in 98% of the houses in New England.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Re: My own (much less ambitious) track trailer build - start with vent placement ques

I say put it in the front

measure once, cut 4 or 5 times, right?

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    I say put it in the front

measure once, cut 4 or 5 times, right?
    Look at it as a positive - all those happy accidents are "adding lightness." It is a "race trailer" after all.

'14 Aprilia Tuono - crack on 2 wheels, '14 Ninja 300, '04 BMW M3

Quote Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
    Look at it as a positive - all those happy accidents are "adding lightness." It is a "race trailer" after all.
    Uhhh...yeah...as if my own carpentry skills weren't going to make this fun enough, I picked up your brother's sawzall last night and to his earlier comment of:

"Make sure you wear rubber shoes when you use it, its got a wire loose or something"

he has now added:

"Plug it in and it just goes, the trigger switch doesn't really work."

...if anyone wants to see me seriously hurt myself, this is shaping up to be quite a show.

LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

Quote Originally Posted by Ductard View Post
    Uhhh...yeah...as if my own carpentry skills weren't going to make this fun enough, I picked up your brother's sawzall last night and to his earlier comment of:

"Make sure you wear rubber shoes when you use it, its got a wire loose or something"

he has now added:

...if anyone wants to see me seriously hurt myself, this is shaping up to be quite a show.

Dude,
    Seriously, wait. Using my brother's tools may result in you not making it to Loudon, next weekend, and possibly an extended visit with the staff of the local emergency room. Stop by on your way to NYST, or on your way back, and I'll hook you up.

Hell, stay in Albany, Friday night. I think I'm free.

Dude,
    Seriously, wait. Using my brother's tools may result in you not making it to Loudon, next weekend, and possibly an extended visit with the staff of the local emergency room. Stop by on your way to NYST, or on your way back, and I'll hook you up.

Hell, stay in Albany, Friday night. I think I'm free.
    You're right. Not sure safety wire and duct tape work so well for reattaching fingers and toes.

Donno if I'm going to NYST this weekend. Might just use the Dremel to make the hole. How long do you think it would take to make a 14x14" hole in an aluminum roof with that?

Last edited by Ductard; 08-20-14 at 04:06 PM.
    LRRS 919

I got a bunch of saws & grinders if you need help, too.

Put the vent where you want. After you bump your head a few times you will instinctively duck your head. Trust me on this. I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Ductard View Post

he has now added:

I have a variable speed Dewalt with no such issues if you want to come by Savin Hill, near UMass Boston.

Last edited by Garandman; 08-20-14 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    I have a variable speed Dewalt with no such issues if you want to come by Savin Hill, near UMass Boston.
    I might take you up on that.... You around this weekend?

LRRS 919

Ok - so I think I have a plan for the roof vent.

On to the next problem to solve -

When I bought the trailer, I had it in my mind to fix up sleeping arrangements by putting some sort of rack on the wall that would be hinged on one side, then the other side would hang from the ceiling.

If figured I'd be able to find some sort of aluminum framed rack through a military supply or something - almost like a cot without the legs.

Not sure if I had seen that before elsewhere or how I got it into my head that they existed, but no luck finding them, at least online. I can't just cut the legs off of a cot, at least the one I have, because the frame is held open by the legs being supported on the ground.

it almost seems like I might be able to rivet together an aluminum frame, and then stitch some nylon or whatever they make cots out of across it - but I've never done anything like that before.

The advantages of doing this are that if I set one of these up high enough off the floor, I can put another one below it (or just have space for a cot below it) and be able to roll 3 deep in the trailer (this has already been needed once, and will likely be needed again at the next LRRS round).

Any ideas on either where to find a pre-made rack, or thoughts on my plan of building one?

Last edited by Ductard; 08-21-14 at 10:46 AM.
    LRRS 919

Lifer

Does this work for you: http://www.modulinecabinets.com/folding-couch.html

In use: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...Hauling-camper

Also this: http://www.basspro.com/Disc-O-Bed-Ca...1304230721363/

I've also seen some really neat stuff made out of that 80/20 aluminum stuff.

Not that I've given any of this any thought...

My own (much less ambitious) track trailer build - start with vent placement ...

Very simple:
    Measure the desired size of an air mattress. Build 2x4 frame and deck it with plywood. Hinge frame off of trailer wall. Determine frame height when bed is deployed, cut several support legs to this length and attach them bed frame with a single nut and bolt so they also hinge.

Marcelo, post a picture of your junk.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Lifer

To keep the weight and space down, I'm wondering if 2x3's wouldn't be enough for a bunk, even a double sized bunk.
    I think the extruded aluminum would be even better weight/space savings.

Another idea.
    http://www.doityourselfrv.com/diy-rv...bed-madmumsie/
    http://iamsamthevan.blogspot.com/200...g-sofabed.html

Re: My own (much less ambitious) track trailer build - start with vent placement ...

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Does this work for you: http://www.modulinecabinets.com/folding-couch.html

In use: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...Hauling-camper

Also this: http://www.basspro.com/Disc-O-Bed-Ca...1304230721363/

I've also seen some really neat stuff made out of that 80/20 aluminum stuff.

Not that I've given any of this any thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by ArticRubi View Post
    Very simple:
    Measure the desired size of an air mattress. Build 2x4 frame and deck it with plywood. Hinge frame off of trailer wall. Determine frame height when bed is deployed, cut several support legs to this length and attach them bed frame with a single nut and bolt so they also hinge.

Marcelo, post a picture of your junk.
    Thanks guys, this gives me some ideas. The important thing is you've helped me to locate a source for the nylon matting already sewed up (one of the things I was worried about doing myself) and some options for building the frame.

LRRS 919

I'm liking that option from the Bass Pro Shop. Any idea of what their return policy is?

I'm liking that option from the Bass Pro Shop. Any idea of what their return policy is?
    I suppose that depends on how much sawzall is required to work it into the design....

LRRS 919

There's this option, but I don't know where these guys get them.
    http://www.nhtrailers.com/Options/FoldUpBed.htm

High maintenance priss

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilia Pilot View Post
    There's this option, but I don't know where these guys get them.
    http://www.nhtrailers.com/Options/FoldUpBed.htm
    I've bought parts directly from ProLine in the past; they might sell that bed assembly.