Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Return to racing - what to expect

Return to racing - what to expect

Hey guys, I just saw a "return-to-trackday" post, and felt inspired to pool some input from the internet

1. Motivation
    What motivated you guys to leave? To come back? I wanted to experience other things, started an entirely different (married) life, with loads of travel, and other recreational activities that prior income and racing combination didn't allow for... I have no regrets. My motivation to come back is to finish what I started... I was still progressing in my last season, having droped from consistent 16's and some 15's to consistent 15's with some 14's... the bike and I both had room to improve. If that's a bad reason to go back, I'd be interested in supermoto or motocross racing instead, since I have a much more laid-back approach to those.

2. Lap times
    Has anyone taken several years off and return to where they were? I expect a huge range of responses here depending on activity level outside of sanctioned races. I haven't done much on a sportbike in 4 years, but have had loads of seat time in motocross and have my cardio conditioning at the best it's ever been... I feel like I'm in my best riding shape, but would have to get some laps on the asphalt to get dialed back to racing.

3. Licensing
    If I am fortunate enough to come back and be within a couple seconds of my pre-retirement pace, will I need to bump and earn my way back to the proper class? How would that progression go in a worst-case, or best-case scenario.

4. Culture
    I won't say I was inert and only a "victim", but the drama and clique-clack BS, including new ownership and lack of understanding/support from NHIMS for the LRRS community was a bit of a turn-off. I'm fairly confident I would have a much different attitude if I return, but curious how those who have stayed perceive the culture/overall off-track experience (blunt = better). I have noticed some of the BS I wished to avoid has gone away, and some of my own has as well... I have 100 ways to spend $20K if a return-season is doomed before i invest.

5. Which Series?
    I'm pretty much equi-distant from Jersey and Loudon (well close enough where I would chase the better series) - what's the pro/con of each (please only answer if you've raced both)? Any difference in payout? How about costs/facilities? Is Terricone still helping manage the Jersey CCS series?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Return to racing - what to expect

1) Bought a house, motivation was to not go bankrupt. This kept me off track from 2010 through 2012.

2) I left in 2009 with a PB in the 25s. My first weekend back I turned 28s but I was also on a completely different style bike (motard to inline 4) and the suspension was so far off I was scared riding the bike. My second weekend I set an all time new PB and have been improving steadily ever since.

3) I requested a bump to AM at the end of 2009 which was approved. I never actually raced as an AM and let my license lapse but was allowed to return in 2013 as an AM.

4) I'm loving life in the center garages, no drama, it's all good. It's become especially apparent to me how much of a family we act like at the track this weekend, would't trade it for the world. So far it's been constant improvements by NHMS to facilities, etc, so no complaints there either.

5) I'm a one trick pony, can't offer any insight here.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

You will have no issue returning as an expert...actually I believe that's your only option

Lrrs/ccs expert #221
    1812 paint and body, www.thiefindustries.com, Choate Tree Service,
    Addrenaline Cycle, Swansea Ma, Townsend Computer Technologies, "Innovation in imaging"

Can I say an uneducated JUST DO IT ?

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Can I say an uneducated JUST DO IT ?

I guess, since there's no "thumbs down" option - you can do whatever you want!

Ok then on a serious note.

People leave usually for financial or health reasons.

They come back because is the greatest thing most of us will do for ourselves in a lifetime.

I don't know people who took time off and returned actually. This is only my second year racing.

You should be good with licensing. They might ask you to be an AM and then you go turn 15s they ll bump you right away.

Lrrs is a family. Friendly. Everyone willing to help if needed. Good times after racing. I'm going to jersey for racing for the first time in September so I don't knkw how things are over there. Jersey is def a fun and flowing track. Nhms is technical and rough. But that's why we love it. Lrrs officials in the last two years are great. They listen to our feedback and Do a lot for us. I heard a rumor Wanda is no longer part of lrrs. Not sure if that's true but that would suck if it is.

Plenty of good bikes for sale now both here and wera. To the point that I'm even considering buying one.

Hope you like this answer better.

if you can drive to NJMP, then you should be able to do Summit Point as well. the CCS Atlantic region is: opener at CMP, 3 rounds at NJMP, and 3 rounds at Summit. I personally enjoyed the CCS Atlantic and Mid Atlantic regions much better than LRRS, but my results are much better at LRRS. if you're chasing expert manufacturer contingency, then Suzuki is a better way. Yamaha only paid a few rounds on certain days (sunday only). Suzuki i think paid all CCS and LRRS rounds if you're on a 13-14 bike and only rode up one class.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

I had an almost 3 year gap, entered LRRS as a novice and am working through it. Either way, laps are laps and you'll get back up to speed quickly.

It's just like riding a bike.

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Kitt,

After two seasons I stopped racing this year. I'm not sure what the "drama and clique-clack BS" was. Maybe it went away, maybe I just never saw it, maybe I was somehow part of it and just never noticed, or maybe I'm just too naive. What I will say is that I miss going to the track and hanging with the people more than the actual racing. The culture is probably the best part of it and the thought/anticipation for the next race weekend is what will bring me back. If it meant I would have to race as a novice again, it would be worth it.

I can't comment on the rest as I have not made a come-back (yet) so take it for what its worth.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

if you're looking for payouts, you could follow the ASRA series. as an Expert you should avoid the ASRA Super Stock class, as it's got AMA SuperBike riders in there & your payout chances are slim. You'll be battling against some of the top AMA Super Stock riders if you do ASRA Sport Bike.

I've done the full CCS Atlantic, Mid Atlantic, ASRA, and LRRS series this year. I've seen it all if you have questions.

EX 105

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Left really racing back in '05 with only half-hearted one-off's in between. Showed up this year on an ultra-light bike instead of a MW and am about 7 seconds off my MW pace. Would be closer to 4 seconds if I weren't completely out of riding shape. Give it another season and I hope to be within 2-3 seconds and about where I'd expect to be. You will be fine dood.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

CCS/LRRS #83

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    if you're looking for payouts, you could follow the ASRA series. as an Expert you should avoid the ASRA Super Stock class, as it's got AMA SuperBike riders in there & your payout chances are slim. You'll be battling against some of the top AMA Super Stock riders if you do ASRA Sport Bike.

I've done the full CCS Atlantic, Mid Atlantic, ASRA, and LRRS series this year. I've seen it all if you have questions.
    It's awesome that you can swing that! What are you using for a hauler? I don't have any dreams of going pro... but an AMA round is a goal.

i'm actually using my open trailer i built a few years ago and towing with my car. i can fit table, tent, canopy, gear bag, tools, spares, etc and still get 26-27 MPG. You can register for CCS races as soon as the schedule comes out in November. So you can make it more affordable by spacing out your entries, as opposed to 2 weeks before the LRRS weekend.

EX 105

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

I did want to say that I am psyched to hear that you are considering returning to racing. I hope, for my sake, that you choose to go to LRRS simply because it was fun to see you there and I dont get to NJMP all that often.

I haven't left and come back so I cant say much other than about some of the BS stuff: I guess that depends on who you hang out with. I know that I love coming to the track for the social aspect as much as the racing and the people in the center garage are simply awesome (I am sure the north garage are too, I just dont get over there all that often).

There are a good amount of experts running in the 16's-14's right now so once you got back to your previous pace you would definitely have people to race competitively with. Very clean, tight racing in that group and I feel very comfortable being wheel to wheel with that bunch.

Anyway, feel free to drop me a line if you have questions about racing with that particular group of folks or in the MW brackets at all.

Animal Hill Super Motard Champion Johnny B's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    I heard a rumor Wanda is no longer part of LRRS. Not sure if that's true but that would suck if it is.
    Wanda has moved up the corporate ladder and is now the Administrative Assistant to John Zudell, NHMS Vice President of Operations and Development. In her place we have Brenda Leonard.
    Wanda hopes to be able to stop by the paddock on occasion just to watch races and say hello.

Last edited by Johnny B; 08-20-14 at 10:39 PM.
    Johnny B. (the other one) ®
    Butler's Rest Home - "No Vacancy"
    Super Motard Champ 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985

Visit the Rest Home: http://resthome.50megs.com

"Listen to your ass, it's giving you lots of information!" - Buddy Melges

Who's tracking the comeback of supermoto? Any legitmacy to the leagues that touch the east coast?

I'm guessing that you could get back up to speed in about half a season Kitt. Whether to go for it or not, I'm not sure.

Paul_E_D

Best person to talk to on that front would be Aaron Phinney. Hit him up over at NHF Racing. http://nhf-racing.com/contact.html He's running his own series while also competing with the big boys in the AMA sanctioned series, and in communication with the SMEC crew as well.

For those of you who don't know Kitt, he was NO SLOUCH. I seem to remember a 13.9 on his way out the door...and a good dude too, even if he IS a smartass Was a really generous racer with a lot of advice and was there to offer help when a fellow racer was flown out of the track with life threatening injuries. Let's hope he picks LRRS.

LRRS #387