Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Question about the front tire for the racers

I've been wondering about this for quite some time, so I thought it's time to ask those in the know. Why is it that on my bike (and many others) with street tires, the rear tire is worn all the way to the edges, while the front has virign rubber down both sides? Is this a safety margin built in by the tire manufacturers to prevent a front-end tuck? Is it that the bikes still have more lean angle being unused? Is it something to do with the suspension set-up of streetbikes?

Help end the ignorance!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '01 VFR 800

Suspension setup, speed and the amount of countersteer needed to make the bike turn at speeds is what determines how far to the edge of the front tire, the wear extends. Lean angle alone determines the usage out back. simply put.

That is disregarding rake angles, ride hight, tire profile, and a few other more complicated aspects of motorcycle geometry.

Take a new set of tires and go to your favorite sweeper.

hypothetically speaking, at 80mph, the bike at a lean angle which causes the pegs to just scrape, will bring the contact area of the rear to the edge, and leave a 1/4 inch unused in the front.

The same sweeper, only this time 100mph, with the same lean to the pegs, will require more countersteer, causing more fork compression and greater rake in front, bringing the contact area to near edge. While only using the same contact area on the rear.

********* **** Racing
    LRRS #293

Banned

Lew, you are one smart mother-fucker!!

I would trade that title for "One Fast Mutha Fukkah"

********* **** Racing
    LRRS #293

Take this info. from Lew a guy who struggled to do 1:19's all year and Degsy chimmes in giving his 2 cents when he can't even speak english. Ask Peter at GMD he should give you a good reply back.

I forgot to mention I went drinking with Jeward lastnight. Now lets "Give it a name".

Lifer

topic stealer!

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...threadid=12651

So the answer to my question is, I can go faster?

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

You can always go faster... until you crash

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

Originally posted by hessogood
    topic stealer!

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...threadid=12651

So the answer to my question is, I can go faster?
    What can I say? I was just wondering why tires are designed this way. With the tendency on the street for people to panic-grab the brakes and lose the front end in a corner when they overreact, I'd think that, FOR THE STREET, front tires would have a different profile to put some of that virgin rubber under the front as a larger contact patch to help avoid a lowside.

<In my best New York accent>
    Welcome to Caowfee Taowk...DISCUSS!

'01 VFR 800

Lifer

In regards to grabbing the front brake during a turn due to panic, I'll relay the single best advice I've ever been given in regards to riding

never cover the front brake anywhere near the turns

think it was Gram that said this

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Originally posted by MC
    What can I say? I was just wondering why tires are designed this way. With the tendency on the street for people to panic-grab the brakes and lose the front end in a corner when they overreact, I'd think that, FOR THE STREET, front tires would have a different profile to put some of that virgin rubber under the front as a larger contact patch to help avoid a lowside.

<In my best New York accent>
    Welcome to Caowfee Taowk...DISCUSS!
    That's why it is designed that way, If you apply the converse, when you panic grab, for an instant your front profile is using all the geometry, as if you went in at 100 like stated above.

Look at it this way; say we go with your profile engineering, when pour Lew hits the corner at 100, he runs out of contact and in turn hits the pavement; because your tire geometry is designed for maximum contact at 50-80mph corners.

GMD Computrac is a great place to start learning about bike geometry, suspension, and riding dynamics. We even have an all day seminar open to NESR members this Saturday.

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

Originally posted by legalspeed

Look at it this way; say we go with your profile engineering, when pour Lew hits the corner at 100, he runs out of contact and in turn hits the pavement; because your tire geometry is designed for maximum contact at 50-80mph corners.

That's specificly why I said "FOR THE STREET". Anyone cornering at full lean at 100mph on public roads obviously isn't concerned about safety and shouldn't be on the road. That's the point when you should have already taken it to the track.

'01 VFR 800