Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Question for racers on body armor

Question Question for racers on body armor

What kind of back-protectors are you guys using underneath your leathers. I have a spyke 2-pc droid suit, but the pad in the back seems nothing more than a glorified dish-sponge, which is weird because the other pieces of armor are of a higher-quality. Anyone use the dainese safety-jackets? I was thinking that or something along those lines....don't know if I'll be able to fit it in my suit though.(I kinda bought it last-minute for a trackday) any input is appreciated. thanx.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

You can check these out. http://www.newenough.com/accessories/armor.htm I have a Vanson and it came we one.

Collision Pros Racing

If you are going to ride on the track go out and buy a good back protector. Most of the ones that come with the suits are just foam which will do noting for you if you happen get a rear foot peg in the back. If the suit doesn't fit take out the foam that comes with the suit and just use a good back protector.

RSVMILLE661

I use the Bohn Body Armor back protector. It also covers the shoulders and tail bone. The ER Doc said it is was prevented me from breaking my collar bone when I had my crash at the start of the season.

Mine is actually for sale too..

Lifer

My teknic suit came with the glorified dish sponge back protector...

The one in my Dainese jacket is removable and really nice, I will just use that one. It has the segmented plastic panels with pads that are something like 1/3-1/2" thick and shoulder + waist straps. I haven't tried it on with the leathers yet but I'm pretty sure it will fit fine. I will of course be removing the dish sponge before trying it.

ISTR the Dainese back protector is something like $130-150 if you get it without the jacket. It doesn't have the collarbone protection or tailbone protection, but I'm not sure I would want to wear all that on the street anyway.

Ben

Originally posted by benSV
    My teknic suit came with the glorified dish sponge back protector...

The one in my Dainese jacket is removable and really nice, I will just use that one. It has the segmented plastic panels with pads that are something like 1/3-1/2" thick and shoulder + waist straps. I haven't tried it on with the leathers yet but I'm pretty sure it will fit fine. I will of course be removing the dish sponge before trying it.

ISTR the Dainese back protector is something like $130-150 if you get it without the jacket. It doesn't have the collarbone protection or tailbone protection, but I'm not sure I would want to wear all that on the street anyway.

Ben
    That jacket you have is sweet. I wish I had gone with something like that instead of my Joe Rocket textile.

Thanks for the input guys! Yeah, I am looking for something to use at the track, not really the street.

NOT laughing with you {~; bemused's Avatar

does the name "Rhino" ring any bells w/ y'all?

WWSD? (what would Sneakers do?)
    "for every credibility gap, there is a gullibility fill"
    jeff f
    '97 RF900R

I'm actually looking into a set of rhinos.
    You have em? Whaddya think?

The back protector is pretty good. The chest protector I found to be restrictive. I would get the back protector and ask Chuck to get some straps so that you can use it by it's self. The technology is amazing, If I could find chucks info I would call him and work with him on fit for the chest protector.. As I feel it is important to have sternum protection.. So If you talk to Chuck tell him that I want to talk to him

Thanks
    G-man

Gerard

Chuck?

If you are talking about Rhino Body armor Chuck Cafferela (sp) is the owner

G-man

Gerard

k, thanks!

NOT laughing with you {~; bemused's Avatar

there's an email addy on their homepage: rat cheer...

I know I've got Chuck's email addy somewhere... just don't think it's here @ work...

WWSD? (what would Sneakers do?)
    "for every credibility gap, there is a gullibility fill"
    jeff f
    '97 RF900R

Lifer

Originally posted by bentbryan
    That jacket you have is sweet. I wish I had gone with something like that instead of my Joe Rocket textile.

Thanks for the input guys! Yeah, I am looking for something to use at the track, not really the street.
    Don't feel too bad.. I had the same Joe Rocket jacket for 2 years and just decided to get something better when I wore out the JR. There is no way in hell anyone would have convinced me to buy the nicer one when I was first starting out.

As for Chuck, you should head over to MotoMarket on a Thursday night and you will probably meet him. He's a cool guy and I'm sure he would be happy to talk Armor with you. He had a bad accident last year and his bike actually landed on him and his Rhino armor apparently did it's job really well.

Ben

Hey Scotty...

I'd be very interested in hearing why the ER doc felt your gear prevented a broken collarbone?

In my opinion, there is no gear on the market that will do this... and still allow you to effectively ride a motorcycle.

Collarbone breaks happen when you land on your shoulder in such a way that the main force acts toward your head.

I have yet to see any gear that prevents movement in this direction.

After my break, I envisioned some sort of design where a stiff bar would extend across back and/or front of the body... shoulder to shoulder.

If you landed on your shoulder, this "bar" would take the hit more than your shoulder.

However, the potential downside is that instead of your collarbone breaking (which slow down your head movement), the stiff bar could cause your head to "snap" down when your shoulder stops abruptly.

Tony

RSVMILLE661

The Doc said that because carbon kevlar circular pad located our on the edge of the protector it absorbed and deflected most of the energy away from my collar bone and shoulder blade.

I don't know if he truly understood how I went down or if he was just saying this to make me feel better or to maybe talk me out of racing. He needed to look at everything though. Leathers, boots, gloves, helmet, back protector. You name it and it was gone over.

Interesting...

I suppose that might happen if the hit is not on the end of your shoulder.

Tony