Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Questions for this coming weekend for a Noobie

Hey Guys, I'm new to the area. I come from western Canada, racing with the EMRA. I plan to race this weekend but have a few questions to clear up before the races, I was told this is a good place to find some help.

Basically, reading through the rule book, these are the things I see popping up:

- Numbers: Currently I have Red Number 119 with a White background on the front, and two on the tail of my bike. I see Amateur requires Black with Yellow background, and that numbers are assigned. Also since I have a central intake I will need 2 in the front, as well as one on my helmet. Could you update me on what I need here, aka is 119 available? And is there somewhere I can purchase the Yellow/Black vinyls needed on short notice?

- Fuel: At the moment my bike is tuned to a fuel called "Fury 99", a 99 octane fuel produce by AFD Petroleum in Canada. As per section 18.2 am I prohibited in using this fuel?

- Tech inspection: How strict are they on hose clamps? Does every hose clamp need to be safety wired? What is this fluid catch pan mentioned? Is that just the lower fairing? Also the front axle, I have the pinch bolts and the nut wired, does the axle itself need wiring too? Also by "wiring" I mean I have clips wired together and inserted through the wire holes, is that acceptable? Basically, how strict are they on wiring, and what are some weird spots that I may need to drill and wire (this is a fully teched bike from the EMRA, we have the main stuff covered).

- Section 19.25: Are the "Production Classes" the Supersport and Superbike classes? Meaning if I have slick tires and aftermarket exhaust I am exempt from these classes? Aka I can only run the GP/GT classes?

- Pits: How are these run? First come first serve? Are they garage-style or open parking-lot style? Is there power, or do I need my genny? Is overnight camping in the pits or elsewhere? (If I come for the Saturday I will probably be sleeping in my truck).

- Races: How long are the races typically? I will probably be running the Middleweight GP and GTU races. The latter I believe is a 25 minute endurance.

- Finally, the helmet eject thing, what is that and is it available for purchase at the track for a reasonable price?

WHEW! Okay that's all I think. I never thought adjusting to a new rulebook would be so hard! Thanks in advance for any help guys.

- Alex

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Questions for this coming weekend for a Noobie

white plate, red numbers. 6" front. 4" back. if your bike has air induction in the middle (R6, 636, honda), then put your numbers on both sides.

fuel - only the stuff sold at NHMS. 93 pump, 100 unleaded (GT260) pump, Sunoco 260GTX, Sunoco 112 Supreme, VP100 streetblaze, VP C12

tech - no wiring hose clamps. only radiator cap, oil filler, oil filter, oil drain, calipers, axle pinch bolts, axles, and outer header tubes.

slicks are for Grand Prix, superbike, and GT classes

pits - first come, first serve. some locals are territorial though, so be prepared to annoy some people. garages have to be paid for. plenty of power everywhere. camping allowed, showers are good.

races - 8 lap sprints, 25 min GTU. they have a pre-grid to make sure everyone is gridding properly. also you grid in staggered boxes on the start

eject - available online or from the trackside vendor.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Jim covered it ALL

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I'm 1 weekend into being a Novice. Everything I say is probably wrong .
    119 is not available.

I would assume that Miles (Street and Comp, they are at almost all track events) will have Yellow Number Plates and numbers. I use duct tape .

Unless they sell AFD Petroleum at NHMS, it is prohibited. There are some pump and race fuel options at the track, but no outside fuels are officially allowed.

No, you don't have to safety wire hose clamps. Hoses need to be secured. A clamp is a securing device. You don't have to secure the securing device.

Fluid catch pan is normally fulfilled with a lower fairing. Naked bikes often have to do something "special". If you have a standard race fairing, it mostly will work.

Axle needs wired. I have actual wire, but have seen many people that use clips.

Classes. I still don't really understand these. As a Novice I don't have to.

Pits, there are actual garages, as well as open space. The garages are generally rented by groups of people. Sometimes people have space available in their garages.
    I also understand that there are power hookups in the infield. Can't speak to their availability.

NHMS Does charge extra for camping. IDK how much.

Some races are timed (GT type races). Others are a specified # of Laps (8, usually).

Eject is available from Miles (Street and Comp again). Like $60.

- - - Updated - - -

Jim was faster .

if you're an amateur, then the MW GP is the feature race of LRRS. it's 12 laps, and always runs as the last on Saturdays. they pay cash to the top 7 expert finishers, and the top amateur finisher.

i'd highly recommend doing thursday and/or friday practice if you're new to this track. it's a tricky one to learn.

EX 105

Thanks guys! Follow up:

- So with aftermarket exhaust, can I still run MW Superbike?

- Which of the available fuels is closest to 99 octane? I wouldn't want to blow up my engine first round out! :S

- Outer header tubes? Could someone elaborate on this?

Unfortunately I can't make the Thursday/Friday practices, due to being new to the area, new job, etc., I don't have enough cash, or the ability to take the extra time off. I'll try and learn as much as I can with all 20 minutes of morning practice time. :S I've been approved for Am racing with my current license/experience, so I'll be racing all the races I can with my bike/Am status. Looks like GTU, MW GP and maybe MW Superbike (depending on the answer to the question above).

Anybody want to take me under there wing and let me pit with them?

your in hartford? Im right in Meriden down 91... lots of local CT racers...

Quote Originally Posted by Schramm View Post
    Thanks guys! Follow up:

- So with aftermarket exhaust, can I still run MW Superbike?

- Which of the available fuels is closest to 99 octane? I wouldn't want to blow up my engine first round out! :S

- Outer header tubes? Could someone elaborate on this?

Unfortunately I can't make the Thursday/Friday practices, due to being new to the area, new job, etc., I don't have enough cash, or the ability to take the extra time off. I'll try and learn as much as I can with all 20 minutes of morning practice time. :S I've been approved for Am racing with my current license/experience, so I'll be racing all the races I can with my bike/Am status. Looks like GTU, MW GP and maybe MW Superbike (depending on the answer to the question above).

Hey see you found Us........have a good weekend

All classes allow full exhaust systems. You can also enter in HW and Unlimited classes with your 600. Nhms doesn't favor horsepower.

Fuel- run the 100 octane from the Sunoco pump. It's $9/gallon I think. Self serve with a credit card.

EX 105

Outer header tubes - wire the header bolts for the tubes that go into cylinders 1 & 4

EX 105

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

Welcome aboard! stop by the Center 2 garage and say hi if you have any questions or need a hand. everyone at the track is pretty friendly and you will be comfortable there in no time.

https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

As Keith said, lots of us are CT locals. Stop by the RSP Racing garage(Center garages, bay closest to pregrid; directly next to the winner's circle) and say hi. Our garage is bursting at the seams, so we can't offer anything more than some friendly banter as far as accommodations. You should be able to find some garage space you can rent for the weekend, and some helpful people in it. If no one responds here, I'd post a separate thread asking for space for Round 7.

Also, be sure to come hang out at the BBQ, then Halloween party, Saturday night, easy way to meet lots of racers.

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...7-bbq-fun.html
    http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...4-edition.html

One thing Jim touched on, about locals being "territorial," is that while the infield is first come first serve, the garage parking area is intended for people paying for garage space. Lots of racers pit within the confines of the garage area, and the track doesn't seem to have issue with it, but be mindful of the fact that people who pay for their garage space are entitled to the parking spaces directly outside their garage.

One thing you should be aware if you come from a track where the red flag means stop. At Loudon, a red flag means slow down and pit it. No stopping on the track!

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
    One thing Jim touched on, about locals being "territorial," is that while the infield is first come first serve, the garage parking area is intended for people paying for garage space. Lots of racers pit within the confines of the garage area, and the track doesn't seem to have issue with it, but be mindful of the fact that people who pay for their garage space are entitled to the parking spaces directly outside their garage.
    True. Your best bet is to find space outside the fenced garage area unless you can find a space in a garage. The space near where my husband and I typically pit is lightly populated and an easy walk from both the Center Garage area and turn 1's Halloween party (very important). Don't be a stranger though, there's a lot of fun to be had at the two events mentioned earlier, and it's a great way to get to know some of your fellow racers and cornerworkers.

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Cool, thanks for the tips everyone. Sounds like I can get the bike tech ready the morning of. I plan to show up around 7 on Saturday morning, making it an early morning... I'll try and find a nice spot to pit then I guess.

Racing Q's: How is this track on tires? I have 2 sets of take-offs at the moment at around 50%, so not great stick, but still meat left. I'm going to try and run the weekend on those just to save money. Also, what are the 600 guys running for gearing here? I have 14/44 currently I believe, also have a 45 rear kicking around. But Vortex could probably expedite something before Saturday.

Have you already filled out your license paperwork?

You'll have to go through Registration before tech.

It's going to be a busy morning.

I'm too slow to speak to tires or gearing . Reading stuff has me believing that most middleweights are running 15's up front, and anywhere from 44-47 rears. It's not a real "high speed" track (especially for me).

Haha, well coming from my last track: 2.7 km, 11 corners and a tight mid-straight chicane, top time was 1:19.7, mine was 1:24.3, I hit top of 4th once lap. What are typical values here? I think this will be a faster track than I'm used to (I originally learned on a large go kart track).

they have tech friday nights from 6-8 as well. since you're an amatuer MW bike, you'll be in practice #1. we (group 1 people) turn on our warmers an hour before we roll out. it'll probably be 50 degrees at best in the 1st session. practiuce starts at 8:20am.

NHMS is mostly lefts, so keep that in mind with tire wear. some flip tires. Most of the middleweight guys will be on Dunlop or Pirelli tires. Dunlop pays contingency for the top 3 in all classes. Pirelli stopped their contingency program about 2 years ago.

EX 105

1.6 mile (2.6 km) 12 "named" turns (some of which aren't turns, but there are a couple "a's" in there to make up for it).

Top lap times are 1:10's. My times are measured in stardates.

See http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...hlight=NHMS+PB for lap times.

the GSX-R 600's run 15/47 (-1/+4) gearing for NHMS, if gearing was going to be your next question

EX 105

Okay, so show up super early haha. Oh man that's going to be an early wake time... I have commitments Friday night, so I will be leaving Hartford early Saturday morning. I'll make sure everything is ready to go when I go to bed Friday night.

Currently I have a set of Michelin's on, but the front is starting to scare me. I have a set of take-off Pirelli's I used in the 2013 season too that still have some life in them (hopefully). Are there tire changers around? Also have rains if they are needed. Sound's like Dunlop is the way to go!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    the GSX-R 600's run 15/47 (-1/+4) gearing for NHMS, if gearing was going to be your next question
    Haha awesome, just sent in my request for 15/47 to Vortex.

every tire vendor is at the track, and they all pay contingency except Pirelli. Michelin is next to the tech garage. He always has rains available

Last edited by Jim; 10-01-14 at 01:15 PM.
    EX 105

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

Sound's like Pirelli is the way to go!
    Fixed sad that Dunlop actually has to pay people to use their tires lol

https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

lol I only have experience with Pirelli and Michelin. The Pirelli's have a nicer pre-slip feel, but the Michelin's were lighter (and the vendor was so awesome to me last season). I can get used to anything, especially if there are contingencies!

Do you guys run 180s, 190s or 200s on your 5.5"s?

Dunlops I think most people are running 190s on the 5.5 MW wheels. I'm a tire idiot and still on a trackday tire that's a 180.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast