Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

The Great R6 Build

Re: The Great R6 Build

Quote Originally Posted by union View Post
    Going back together

That is it for now.

You have small fingers...

Good project though

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 KTM 560 SMR - 2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2002-2006

Quote Originally Posted by Denno View Post
    James,

This could be a great thread - maybe even a sticky - you should re-post it all and keep it clean from nonsense when you're done or something...

Denno
    Its why I have control of it. I just need to figure out you to use it. Im sure Degsy or Legalspeed could also clean it up as well.

James

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by naked-daytrader View Post
    You have small fingers...

Good project though
    hes only like 3 1/2 feet tall...what do you expect?

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Good work James. You need to take more pictures you slacker.

A small update. Some of the smaller parts have come in. I know a few of you were concerned about a certain fire danger with the newer R6s. No need to worry any more A set of Traxxion Dynamics tank sliders are now here and are waiting to be put on. A set of stomp grip and some speed bleeders are here as well.

I havent put them on the bike but its a pretty straight forward install. When I do install Ill get another photo.

James

Nice set up.

Jay
    2013 gixxer 750
    2009 Ducati M1100s
    2017 KTM exc-f 350

A small update. Some of the smaller parts have come in. I know a few of you were concerned about a certain fire danger with the newer R6s. No need to worry any more A set of Traxxion Dynamics tank sliders are now here and are waiting to be put on. A set of stomp grip and some speed bleeders are here as well.

I havent put them on the bike but its a pretty straight forward install. When I do install Ill get another photo.
    I've been meaning to grab some of those traxxion pucks... I know it will save the bike, but 120 bucks for two chunks of plastic seems like fuckin' robbery to me. I'll get them anyways when I have the cash.

I have a stompgrip waiting for me to throw it on though...

edit: your shit's coming along nicely btw, man

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Fork oil in my veins.... gmdboston's Avatar

Seems like robbery until you realize that the molds for those "pieces of plastic" cost $20,000 each (1 left and 1 right) and are protecting your $10,000 bike.

"If you can't afford to do it right, how are you going to afford to do it over?"-PK
    Shop Services: Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two.

Quote Originally Posted by gmdboston View Post
    Seems like robbery until you realize that the molds for those "pieces of plastic" cost $20,000 each (1 left and 1 right) and are protecting your $10,000 bike.
    Not saying they aren't worth it if they save my bike, or that plastic molds aren't expensive... it just seems overpriced for what you're getting based on the normal cost of a product of that sort.

There are similarly sized plastic products with that level of intricacy in the shape out there with molds costing a lot more... and the product sells for 5 bucks. I guess it's just because they are doing such low volume in this particular part, they need to make back their initial investment, which makes sense.

They are my next mod, methinks. Certainly before the april TTDs.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

molds sure don't cost 20k... people ripping r6 owners off using fear. works every time.

Quote Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
    Not saying they aren't worth it if they save my bike, or that plastic molds aren't expensive... it just seems overpriced for what you're getting based on the normal cost of a product of that sort.

There are similarly sized plastic products with that level of intricacy in the shape out there with molds costing a lot more... and the product sells for 5 bucks. I guess it's just because they are doing such low volume in this particular part, they need to make back their initial investment, which makes sense.

They are my next mod, methinks. Certainly before the april TTDs.
    Exactly, it's all about volume. I've looked in to some plastic injection molding parts and if I can amortize the costs over several million parts, then the parts can retail at $5, but if we sell a few hundred, then the parts are $150. And yes the molds do cost that much. They are made in batches so the parts can be made 10 or so at a time, and there is a set up charge to load the molds into the plastic injection molding machine. The more parts you make, the lower the cost per part. In the motorcycle industry we are always dealing with a very small market, that is why some many products cost more for bikes than general merchandise. The average run for producing a given model is about 20,000 world wide. If you can sell to 10% (a very generous number) that gives you a market of 2000 world wide. throw in two or more vendors and you can see why the prices are higher relative to selling say sneakers, or bread.

"If you can't afford to do it right, how are you going to afford to do it over?"-PK

that is why you source manufacturing overseas. especially when it comes to easy plastic pieces as these. you can get samples in under 2wks from china. and high volume is not such a big deal... especially with all the fast prototyping stuff going on. (i used to work for an importer and did this type of stuff all the time)

Quote Originally Posted by yzedf View Post
    that is why you source manufacturing overseas. especially when it comes to easy plastic pieces as these. you can get samples in under 2wks from china. and high volume is not such a big deal... especially with all the fast prototyping stuff going on. (i used to work for an importer and did this type of stuff all the time)
    Yeah, that works when you order by the container full, but if you only need 100-200 sets it doesn't. I've looked into it too. Until you get to quantities in the thousands or tens of thousands, it's more economical to manufacture here in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by R1slowflyer View Post
    BTW- union bike looks great keep the updates coming! You work at a fucking bike shop, wouldn't there be daily progress? WTF!
    The key word is I work at a bike shop. I get to work on my bike on off days. Also add that I am financing this myself and neither of my jobs are going to make me rich. Even though I do get a discounted price that parts are still expensive. Im still looking at 5-6k total just in parts for the bike.

My biggest benefit is having the shop to work in and having Kates to help me out.

James

Overseas is not an option for an affordable prototype. trust me, it costs you more when you deal with a large company because everything that pete said is true, now think that 20,000 dollar mold and the set-up charges all for a run of 10-100 then that mold is useless. A prototype is just that. It is NEVER what you see in production there are always changes, some of which are substantial, so to say that oversees prototyping is cost effective is way off.

Whats great about sourcing your prototype work to a small co. in the states to is you can save thousands if not millions in R&D. you can have a quick turn product for a set price in a short amount of time, saving you the cost in hours and mistakes. I have personally overseen projects that in the end have the saved a company thousands of dollars because they can send the work out with little to no overhead and expect a working product to test and work into production lines.

Overseas is not the answer in any case, just getting parts from overseas is weeks worth of lead time. nevermind having to send over a design and be working within a budget and a time frame. I can see runs of hundreds of thousands and you need affordable production even in the millions, but to facilitate a small market and prototypes overseas is not the answer

BTW- union bike looks great keep the updates coming! You work at a fucking bike shop, wouldn't there be daily progress? WTF!
    Plus there is some thing to be said about doing business with some one that is close enough for you to be able to get both hands firmly around their neck!

The key word is I work at a bike shop. I get to work on my bike on off days. Also add that I am financing this myself and neither of my jobs are going to make me rich. Even though I do get a discounted price that parts are still expensive. Im still looking at 5-6k total just in parts for the bike.

My biggest benefit is having the shop to work in and having Kates to help me out.
    Uh ok then well still i think you should prove yourself more useful and get a well deserved raise so you can better finance this project so you can update it more often.

A happy employee is a happy employer!

JK

The bike looks great Alicia and I hope you get it finished for the season that is almost here.

The bike looks great Alicia and I hope you get it finished for the season that is almost here.
    Who the hell is Alicia? Isn't this James' bike or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by gmdboston View Post
    Yeah, that works when you order by the container full, but if you only need 100-200 sets it doesn't. I've looked into it too. Until you get to quantities in the thousands or tens of thousands, it's more economical to manufacture here in the US.
    not really, especially with plastics. if you are talking machined metal stuff than yes it is cheaper to find a local guy pay him to do it. got to remember that the capabilities of overseas are almost as high as here... and growing by the month. but they have a larger desire to grow than we do... and as such will get into markets where the money isn't always top just to be in that market.

Overseas is not an option for an affordable prototype. trust me, it costs you more when you deal with a large company because everything that pete said is true, now think that 20,000 dollar mold and the set-up charges all for a run of 10-100 then that mold is useless. A prototype is just that. It is NEVER what you see in production there are always changes, some of which are substantial, so to say that oversees prototyping is cost effective is way off.

Whats great about sourcing your prototype work to a small co. in the states to is you can save thousands if not millions in R&D. you can have a quick turn product for a set price in a short amount of time, saving you the cost in hours and mistakes. I have personally overseen projects that in the end have the saved a company thousands of dollars because they can send the work out with little to no overhead and expect a working product to test and work into production lines.

Overseas is not the answer in any case, just getting parts from overseas is weeks worth of lead time. nevermind having to send over a design and be working within a budget and a time frame. I can see runs of hundreds of thousands and you need affordable production even in the millions, but to facilitate a small market and prototypes overseas is not the answer

being that i used to do this for a living, i can tell you that you are wrong. and weeks of lead time.... um i could get parts in my hand in a week. there is this wondrous thing called CAD and email...

I do this for a living. I am in prototype manufacturing. Anything made in small runs is considered custom. I can guarantee you that if you called for a sample its something that was already made, and i f you need a proto I could give you a few shops that have a 2-5 day turnaround on any plastic molding. Just because they are great at mass production overseas, does not translate to prototyping.

I agree with the cad and email yes it could be quicker, but that also reflects in cost, a major factor in any proto.

Also if we are talking large quantities and high volume assembly overseas is cheaper, but with the smaller stuff shipping negates any cost savings from overseas. also the specifics are outrageous here. there are so many variables.

I am glad that you used to do this, but i have been doing this off and on for the past 8 years. In my experience you can save yourself alot of time money and hassle by sourcing the work to a local company!

enough of the thread stealing this is unions thread lets keep it on topic!

sorry james!
    Yes keep it on topic. Ill ask Degsy or Stoneman to clean this up.

As for the tank sliders. Im glad you guys are concerned and you all know better cheaper ways to make them. There is just one problem I see. None of you are making them and Traxxion are the only ones out right now so its a pretty useless debate about manufacturing, cost, and out sourcing in a bike build thread.

James

Yes keep it on topic. Ill ask Degsy or Stoneman to clean this up.
    I agree.... I didn't mean to start a debate on trade economics... my bad.
    As for the tank sliders. Im glad you guys are concerned and you all know better cheaper ways to make them. There is just one problem I see. None of you are making them and Traxxion are the only ones out right now so its a pretty useless debate about manufacturing, cost, and out sourcing in a bike build thread.
    There are a couple companies doing it, actually...

Traxxion (119.99 and look the best)
    ETI Fuel Cell (Most expensive but actually cover the entire sides of the tank not just the impact zone)
    Adrenaline city racing.... (Cheapest at 99.95 right now)

Regardless, I'll be getting the traxxion dealies.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

Bodywork arrived this week. We decided to go with armor bodies. I havent had a chance to fit it up but this stuff looks very good. Its clean and very flexible. I mocked up the rear and it fit up nice and easy.

Im still waiting on the gearing to get in. Hopefully this week and the shock is also on order.

James

Question on the engine guards/case covers... Is there any leeway on that rule for your first race weekend? Myself and a friend can't find case guards or beefed up engine case covers for his Triumph TT 600.

James,

Bike looks great. I've heard good things about the armor bodies. Very nice.

I'll probably go the e-racings route when I get track glass...

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

Two and a half weeks. . . let's see some pics.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast