Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Race Rentals

Re: Race Rentals

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    people try to direct newcomers to track days first because there is more to being 'fast' than knowing your bike. Having practice riding in traffic, safe passing etc on a track is not something you can practice on the street, and isn't something you should be learning your first lap into your first race. : )
    I didn't just walk in here from the cotton fields... I've already mentioned that I have plenty of experience dicing with racers in the woods on a 300 2-stroke where contact is commonplace as is passing and well, racing. I know it's different, but you don't need to and perhaps can't learn how to race from doing track days. Track days and racing schools are relatively new to the sport of roadracing. Ask Kenny Roberts where he did track days to prepare for his racing career, or any other racer from the 60's thru the 80's. They'll laugh at you. Trust me dude, I'd live at the track if I could and practice all day long if I had a work schedule that would allow it. The topic of not having gear so not being ready to race is kind of silly. Anyone can buy tons of race gear, even people who don't know how to ride a motorcycle. Next thing I'll be getting shit because I don't have a 1800 dollar exhaust on my bike or some shit. I've already said, I'm not trying to impress anyone, I'm just doing what I can so I can start racing. There isn't anything anyone on this forum can say that will make me change my mind so don't bother.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS am #121

"So this is what your race program has become... the back of a pickup truck huh?" -PK

Kromz and Kurlon suk.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Are you old enough to talk like that?

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.886 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

This comes down to one question: does Penguin School prepare you to race?

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

I thought the question was: is penguin a trackday?

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.886 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Depends on the individual.

I went from riding street to racing, no track days. Did fairly well, picked it up quickly. Others may not, it's up to the individual.

One thing I will add, though: with your attitude of "I'm fast on the street, I've got what it takes to race," you're setting yourself up for a BIIIIIG reality check. A lot of guys are fast on the street. I was pretty damn good on the street. A couple of my friends also were pretty damn fast on the street. Then we went racing and discovered that we had no clue what fast really was. Street riding speed is not a judge of how good you are, it's a judge of how ballsy you are and what risks you're willing to take. And just because you're the big fish in your pond doesn't mean shit. At the track, everyone was the big fish in their pond; they moved up to the ocean and guess what? There's a lot bigger fish out there.

Last edited by lrrs313; 09-17-10 at 05:11 PM.
    -Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty

Depends on the individual.
    Good answer. So, what does that mean for the racer in their first race and the racers they are out there with?

Why don't you give us the answer your looking for? Save us some guessing; call it friendly advice. Cuz even though I've built up to racing, I still have a ton to learn.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Good answer. So, what does that mean for the racer in their first race and the racers they are out there with?
    It's a chance. For example, I was not really prepared for my first race, because I did not have rain tires and did not know the rain line. I wiped out in turn 2 on my first lap. There really is no way to know if you are prepared for racing before time. I mean even if you have tons of track experience doing track days, you still could not be ready. I sure don't have the answer.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper
    Why don't you give us the answer your looking for? Save us some guessing; call it friendly advice. Cuz even though I've built up to racing, I still have a ton to learn.
    Haha, I'm just trying to analyze the question in a methodical manner. I know what I think, but I'm not a racer I'm trying to guage opinion on the matter. Call it market research.

Okay. For this kid, he's made it evident you need more weekend tds. And I know you DID race, and I've read enough of your posts to know there's something up your sleeve us whippersnappers might get something out of.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

I don't think that's the question. The Penguin school was started so that potential racers can learn the basics like getting on and off the track safely and what the flags mean. If you are a fan of roadracing like me, you already know what the flags mean, and if you have half a brain you could figure out how to enter/exit safely. In the old days there wasn't any schools, so just anyone could show up and race. What prepares a person for racing is multi-faceted. It has to do with whether it's in your blood, whether you are somewhat intelligent and can learn, and most of all your ability to control your bike. There's more to it, but like someone else already said, only the person making the commitment to race knows whether they are ready. I don't need to give reasons why I should be able to race. People crash in racing all the time, and even experienced pros take each other out on occasion. Don't assume I'm guilty of something before I've even spun a wheel in anger. Please don't assume I would be stupid enough to do something that is beyond my abilities. I am 32 years old with 2 children and a wife, and my days of doing stupid shit are over.
    Quote Originally Posted by lrrs313 View Post
    I went from riding street to racing, no track days. Did fairly well, picked it up quickly. Others may not, it's up to the individual.

One thing I will add, though: with your attitude of "I'm fast on the street, I've got what it takes to race," you're setting yourself up for a BIIIIIG reality check. A lot of guys are fast on the street. I was pretty damn good on the street. A couple of my friends also were pretty damn fast on the street. Then we went racing and discovered that we had no clue what fast really was. Street riding speed is not a judge of how good you are, it's a judge of how ballsy you are and what risks you're willing to take. And just because you're the big fish in your pond doesn't mean shit. At the track, everyone was the big fish in their pond; they moved up to the ocean and guess what? There's a lot bigger fish out there.
    Sorry if I'm coming across as cocky. I'm not feeling well today, and I'm a little annoyed at the negativity and the internet in general. I mean, how can anyone say anything about someone they've never observed? I get the point! Racing motorcycles is different than street riding. If it weren't, I'd stay on the street. The whole purpose of racing is to take it to the next level. I'm sure I will be in for a few surprises and things won't go perfectly for my first couple of races. Oh well, that is how one learns. Please don't post/say things based on fear. If you guys are afraid I'm going to take you out on turn 1 I'm sorry about that. What can I really say about it? I've taken alot of guys out riding who aren't that experienced. Should I have shunned them because I was afraid that they were going to do something wrong and crash into me? If I thought there was any possibility that I was in over my head, I'd be the first to go back to the drawing board and get more practice. Again, sorry if I have a bad attitude today, I might just have to avoid the forum until after my first race, otherwise this is going to go on for the winter. I wasn't really under the impression that one had to be an experienced racer to be on the forum, I just thought I'd get some info from people who've done it before, and I thank those who've understood that.

LRRS am #121

"So this is what your race program has become... the back of a pickup truck huh?" -PK

I don't like being taken out...just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by FireboltEric_MA View Post
    I don't like being taken out...just sayin...

And that wasn't even at a race...

*stirs pot*

That would be me.

August of 09 I bought a race bike, equipment and took the Penguin School. Last race of the year I ran 2 races with the USCRA. Got my ass kicked and was lapped by almost everyone. I quickly learned racing is more than riding a bike. Over the winter I watched every race video of Loudon I could find. I spent hours talking to guys that race.

April 2010 I took another Penguin class. May races with the USCRA I took a 1st and 3rd. Had a good finish in almost all the races I entered this year. Made it to number 2 in both of the classes I run for the year.Had a ton of help from other racers this year to get me going fast. I could not have done it with out the help.

I ride slow on the street. When on the track my goal is to beat you and beat you by a lot. The track is nothing like the street. Track days may be good to practice lines or getting comfortable with the track layout but it's not racing. Wave a green flag in front of me and I become someone else.

I say go get some gear, rent the bike and go racing. If you like it come back next year, if not that's cool.

Banned

Any pro racer will tell you its not about beating anyone. You are racing the track, not the other guys. At least that's what I have been told by racers I hold in high regard. rossi rarely does well in practice, but he still practices.

I'd like to apologize. In an attempt to get some info I've been sucked in and have come across like some dude who thinks he's fast but hasn't even set foot on the track. Internet forums can do that to a person. I assure everyone, I am not that guy. My racing plan has been well thought out. I intend on further judging my potential on the track after I get some time on it at the penguin school. If I leave there thinking I need more time on the track, I'll do that before I race. In all reality, I already agreed with most of what's been said. I know it's going to be a learning experience beyond what I've studied and observed already. I know I may not be extremely fast during my first season, and I know that there is a big difference from riding street. I've done as much as I can to prepare myself. I know how to ride within my abilities, how to pick lines, how to trail-brake, and the capabilities of my machine. People have different ideas of what makes them ready to try racing, and personally I've reached that point where I think I'm ready. Will I fail miserably? Who knows. I'd like to think positively, and be open to learning. If we all backed down from something because we didn't think we were ready, or were afraid of the unknown, nobody would do anything. Just because something is dangerous, doesn't mean you can't learn to do it safely. My first time playing football as a kid, I didn't say, nah, I better not do this because I've never done it before and it is dangerous. I didn't go out and practice tackling trees before I tackled a person. I just did it, and ended up doing well after learning a few things. I'll let my riding do the talking from now on, and leave it at that. I'm doing the school this year, and I'm racing next year. I just had a question about renting a bike for the weekend because mine isn't completely ready yet. It is mostly ready, and I have most of the gear I need, just wanted an opinion if I should wait to do the class and use the money for things I still need or to do the class and buy that stuff over the winter. I think the best advice was to take the class to get a taste, that way I could be sure I still wanted to go thru with converting my bike.

LRRS am #121

Banned

Good post brian!! That's a far better way to word it. Good luck!!

You'll do fine out there, just use your head, be smart, and be safe.

Fuck, if you learn to ride like you rip on a guitar you'll be up on the podium in no time. Like the solo's mang!

Good luck and see ya on the grid next year, I'll be the fat kid passing your ass!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
    I'd like to apologize. In an attempt to get some info I've been sucked in and have come across like some dude who thinks he's fast but hasn't even set foot on the track. Internet forums can do that to a person. I assure everyone, I am not that guy. My racing plan has been well thought out. I intend on further judging my potential on the track after I get some time on it at the penguin school. If I leave there thinking I need more time on the track, I'll do that before I race. In all reality, I already agreed with most of what's been said. I know it's going to be a learning experience beyond what I've studied and observed already. I know I WILL BE SLOW during my first season, and I know that there is a big difference from riding street. I THINK I've done as much as I can to prepare myself. I know how to ride within my abilities, I THINK I KNOW how to pick lines, I have experimented with trail-braking, and the capabilities of my machine. People have different ideas of what makes them ready to try racing, and personally I'm old enough to have reached the point where I think I'm ready. Will I fail miserably? Most likely not. I like to think positively, and be open to learning. If we all backed down from something because we didn't think we were ready, or were afraid of the unknown, nobody would do anything. Just because something is dangerous, doesn't mean you can't learn to do it safely. My first time playing football as a kid, I didn't say, nah, I better not do this because I've never done it before and it is dangerous. I didn't go out and practice tackling trees before I tackled a person. I just did it, and ended up doing well after learning a few things. I'll let my riding do the talking from now on, and leave it at that. I'm doing the school this year, and I'm racing next year. I just had a question about renting a bike for the weekend because mine isn't completely ready yet. It is mostly ready, and I have most of the gear I need, just wanted an opinion if I should wait to do the class and use the money for things I still need or to do the class and buy that stuff over the winter. I think the best advice was to take the class to get a taste, that way I could be sure I still wanted to go thru with converting my bike.
    Edited the above

I am sure you will do fine and it seems like you caught on that you were coming across like you thought you were the next Rossi. At 32 with a family I am confident that you have a good head on your shoulders and are most likely just psyching yourself up with confidence.

Alot of us have seen guys who think they are fast come to the track and have a rude awakening. I LOVE passing guys on liter bikes with my lil 70 hp Hawk and I am by FAR, NOT one of the fast guys at the track.

There are even a few Penguin/Trackday instructors on this forum (and in this thread).

My one word of advice: You can ALWAYS learn something. Take notes and refer back to them often (even about the flags and things you THINK you know)

Going and doing the Penguin school and going racing is one way of doing it...

Let us know what your bike looks like so we can watch you and offer tips if you are open to them.

Last edited by Doc; 09-17-10 at 08:12 PM.
    "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Let us know what you look like so we can watch you.
    Just look for the really good-looking guy that makes it look easy

LRRS am #121

Quote Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
    Just look for the really good-looking guy that makes it look easy

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Banned

Doc, its not neccessary to mention hp every time you talk about a hawk!! Lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast