Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Race tires?

Race tires?

Hey there, after racing this weekend and seeing how street tires are not quite what I need, I'm in the market for race tires. Of course I have no idea what kinds to look for, does anyone use slicks, or just the dot race tires? How about rain tires? There are too many choices! Opinions?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

One of the former LRRS #13's

http://www.facebook.com/ChrisWatt762

JT42

Race tires?

Karaya 1 was(probably still is) selling some michelin power race med soft compound race tires for the EX's (17's) for $120. set !
    excellent tire--I run em on my gs + sv + will on my fzr when I need to replace the dunlop slicks I currently have on.

if you have 16inch rims--you're shit outa luck--buy some 17's on ebay

I have a spare set of rains 4sale

Race tires?

Oooh, what size are the rains? How much? I'll have to contact karaya1 about the pilot powers. Thanks!

JT42

Race tires?

there is a difference between pilot power ("street") and power race (DOT Race)

Everybody to the limit!

Race tires?

Originally posted by s a x m a n
    there is a difference between pilot power ("street") and power race (DOT Race)
    Neither of which are the tires Dave is selling for $100, which are Michelin Race H2 race tires, pre-power race era.

I still need to order a set or two myself, at $100 you just can't go wrong.

Race tires?

Chris.

You want a 120 front and 160 rear. We all at MABE (you know, the Hawk guys) recommend the Pirelli's. Great success thus far.

Matt and I are generally putting on a new set every weekend. However, when we were both above the 1:25 mark, we'd go a few weekends on a set. If you'd like to try the Pirelli's sometimes.. we tend to have some takeoffs floating around. FWIW, I've used my takeoffs at a trackday before and doing 23's - 25's no problems.

There isn't much need for slicks (IMO) at this point yet. I think I may give them a whirl once I hit 19's. We'll see.

You ran a 29 in April on street tires? First time on the Hawk? First time in a race? If that's the case, extra credit points for you. That's pretty legit.

ps: Isn't the H2's Dave/Motorace selling 110/150's? If so, that ain't cutting the mustard on the Hawkamania. If he's got some 120/160's at that price thou.. by all means, hop on that gravy train

Boston --> San Diego

Race tires?

Originally posted by a13x

ps: Isn't the H2's Dave/Motorace selling 110/150's? If so, that ain't cutting the mustard on the Hawkamania. If he's got some 120/160's at that price thou.. by all means, hop on that gravy train
    he has 110/70-17 or 120/60-17 fronts + 150/60-17 rear at that price!
    ALL of which are fine for a lightweight hawk running anywhere above 1:24's
    yes 120/70 + 160/60 would be better BUT you won't know the difference----especially if you don't have Alex's giant Ego + great big inflated Head to pull around the track!

my rains are 120 +160 from my gs500 which I plan on selling soon so I can run ULSB w/my fizzer 4 again

Race tires?

The difference between the Race 2 H2 and the Power Race is HUGE. Just very different technology.

I have H2's on sale.

110/70-17 + 150/60-17 H2's for $130.00 shipped.

120/70-17 + 150/60-17 for $180.00 shipped.

I have 160 Sport Cups (soft) for $80.00 shipped.

120/70-17 Power Race Soft and 160 Sport Cup (soft) for $230.00 shipped.

Track Price for a set of Power Race is now $390.00 a set mounted.

Putting his hands in the air, like he just doesn't care.
    Check out my eBay store!
    Dave - Motorace - Michelin

Race tires?

Originally posted by Karaya One
    Track Price for a set of Power Race is now $390.00 a set mounted.

its too bad I love these tires

Race tires?

We have been $350.00 a set for three seasons. The economics of race tires dictate a huge investment and the the price goes up from Michelin 5-8% a season.

We just could hold the price any longer.

Check out my eBay store!

Race tires?

The difference between the Race 2 H2 and the Power Race is HUGE.
    120/70-17 Power Race Soft and 160 Sport Cup (soft) for $230.00 shipped.

How and when can I get these?

JT42

Race tires?

Originally posted by a13x
    Chris.

You want a 120 front and 160 rear. We all at MABE (you know, the Hawk guys) recommend the Pirelli's. Great success thus far.

Matt and I are generally putting on a new set every weekend. However, when we were both above the 1:25 mark, we'd go a few weekends on a set. If you'd like to try the Pirelli's sometimes.. we tend to have some takeoffs floating around. FWIW, I've used my takeoffs at a trackday before and doing 23's - 25's no problems.

There isn't much need for slicks (IMO) at this point yet. I think I may give them a whirl once I hit 19's. We'll see.

You ran a 29 in April on street tires? First time on the Hawk? First time in a race? If that's the case, extra credit points for you. That's pretty legit.

I also run the Pirelli tires. I don't think there is any need to replace the tires after a weekend unless you are doing 6+ races and or running under 19's. IF you are doing a bunch of races you may need a new rear but the front should last you at least 2 weekends.

Just my .02 if your head is better on new tires you will go faster. I personally have done consistant :19's on 2 weekend old tires.

G-man.

Gerard

Race tires?

I was gonna say... PRIMA DONNA! Every weekend? I think they should last a half a season at that pace! At least 3 weekends.

Pirellis are the fastest wearing tire out there though. But still Use em up! It will teach you to ride better as well. For me, the tires are just getting good when they start moving a little. It's easier to feel the edge, and learn how to go fast.

It's cheaper too!

Paul_E_D

Race tires?

Originally posted by GMAN226
    I also run the Pirelli tires. I don't think there is any need to replace the tires after a weekend unless you are doing 6+ races and or running under 19's. IF you are doing a bunch of races you may need a new rear but the front should last you at least 2 weekends.

Just my .02 if your head is better on new tires you will go faster. I personally have done consistant :19's on 2 weekend old tires.

G-man.

Good feedback G-Man

This is something I've been back and forth on for a while. I started out the season planning on getting 2 weekends per set. However, after weekend 2, when the laptimes hit sub-24's, the tires started sliding around, front and rear. I don't like sliding.

I can *see* the rear is pretty cooked after 1 weekend of racing now, whereas the front still looked pretty good...

So I've been on the Fence about whether or not I should just replace the Rear, and go 2 weekends on a Front.. or just swap em out both at the same time. I went with the "Better safe than Sorry" method and have been doing a full swap each time. Mostly because, as you said, a large percentage of roadracing is mental, and with that fresh rear, the last thing I want to be thinking about is that 'old' front as I flip into Turn 1.

Hrm. Save a few bucks and push a front or pony up the extra $$$ and be relaxed and less chance of crashing. (crashing = $$$ and pain). Right now I'm at 0 crashes and 20/21 laptimes, so I'd sort of like the keep both trends going in that direction... if possible..

What compounds you running? Think I recall the same as we are (matt, bob, myself). Supersoft front and Soft rear.

Thx again.

Boston --> San Diego

Race tires?

Originally posted by Paul_E_D
    I was gonna say... PRIMA DONNA! Every weekend? I think they should last a half a season at that pace! At least 3 weekends.
    Hah! Yes I'm going to get my nails done and then hop on my 19 year old bike.. all Primadonna like

You saying I should be riding a set of tires 3 weekends / half the season at low 20 / low 21 pace? Matt was trying to get 2 weekends a set for the first 4 races running 20's, and by weekend 2 on a set.. he'd be having some serious moments. I watched him make a killer save with his knee in 1a one time.. dunno how it didn't go down.

We use pump gas, share a set of old ratty warmers that we don't own, buy most of our parts used, and race archaic bikes. The one thing we are being err spendy with, is tires. (getting a good deal helps )

Boston --> San Diego

Race tires?

Well, Maybe 3 weekends on Michelins. The Pirellis are like marshmellows and they do start to slide very quickly. The thing is, they are super easy to control. I once slid the front of my EX all the way through turn one and never thought I was going to crash, and The EX has NO feel when it comes to sliding. It's like cheating on the Pirellis compared to other brands. sliding for dummies.

If you can work on getting the laptimes back down under those conditions, you're technique will surely improve a LOT! You could have set-up problems to work out as well.

Paul_E_D

Lifer

Race tires?

I run 5 races and 4 practices a weekend on a 600 supersport, when i got into the teens I started using 2 rears a weekend and one front. i'm running the Bridgestone tires. I tried everything else last year, liked the mich. but not the price or the fact that I watched heath wait over 2 hours to get his tires mounted then have the tube pinched with no replacement, and dunlops were ok but not that impressive, and pirelli, the tire I used most of last season I don't like at all. When they go they're gone, if I kept trying to finish the race at pace when i felt them going I'd end up on my ass. Love the bridgestones, hated the distributor, now i don't have to deal with him anymore and the Rick at underground is handling the track support and doing a great job with it.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Race tires?

i think the basic answer your looking for is... you can buy them at the track. get there early pull off your wheels and get em done. if you dont have a preference of brand then you will learn to stay away from the michelin guy at the track since he seems to take an hr to do 1 tire. Dunlop guys are great!! there are a few of them down there and you usually get them back in 15-20 min. have no experience with the Pirelli guys and minimal with Bridgestone.

rains (ballpark) $325 ish
    slicks- i dont think you need em so dont worry
    DOTs- $300-$400 depending on what you get

i run Dunlops.. i love the 209s, ive run Pilots before and they are awesome too. Dunlop usually has some 208s also a little cheaper and maybe some 207GP tires which work AWESOME as an "intermediate" tire when its wet

for size.. a 160 is what it calls for on the rear. if you find that you arent using all of the tire then you can try a 150. it will turn in a little quicker. i would stick with the 120/70 on the front unless you are using a 150 then if you can find a 120/65 that would be better.

i think it will be hard to find race tires anywhere but the track. the good news is. people like us can make these tires last since we arent making much HP. i think i only bought 2 sets of tires last year not including rains but that was only 2 races per weekend and no practices

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Race tires?

Originally posted by SVRACER01
    if you dont have a preference of brand then you will learn to stay away from the michelin guy at the track since he seems to take an hr to do 1 tire.
    Nice!!!!! This is also so not true since I see the numbers when he gets back from the track on Monday.

Do you know how many guys run up to him with rims when the their race is up next? And he gets them out?

Check out my eBay store!

Race tires?

Nice!!!!! This is also so not true since I see the numbers when he gets back from the track on Monday.

Do you know how many guys run up to him with rims when the their race is up next? And he gets them out?
    Oh no! I don't want to start another thread that turns into a fight! The LRRS website thread was bad enough. Take deep breaths. I have metzeler sportec M3's now. They get slippy every now and then. They're super cheap, but they're street tires.
    How much better will race tires be in the dry?
    How about rain tires in the wet?
    The M3's totally suck ass in the rain, at least for me on Saturday.

JT42

Race tires?

Sto(michelin guy) does a good job considering the amount of tires he must mount + balance---balancing takes time, try it yourself sometime!

m3's are great street tires! but they are street tires not race tires!
    there is a big difference!
    + you CAN NOT RACE in the rain with street tires!
    ride in the rain--yes,,,,race--no,,,, they are not made for that!!!

Race tires?

I guess I'm just a pansy then

Boston --> San Diego

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Race tires?

sorry man.. ive dropped off tires to him and watched him let the air out and then walk over and talk to someone for 5 min come back, take the tire off, go talk to someone, put new tire on, go talk...
    you see the pattern. he shouldnt be putting people who wait until the last second up first when someone else has already dropped off tires.

and burgerfag.. balancing tires aint that hard. i have done it

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Race tires?

+ you CAN NOT RACE in the rain with street tires!
    ride in the rain--yes,,,,race--no,,,, they are not made for that!!!
    my michelin pilot power street tires did pretty well on saturday.
    1:49.023.
    passed a lot of guys on full rains. But it's novice class.

Lifer

Race tires?

That was the problem that Heath had last year. People just kept walking in with rims and tires and going right in front of Heath, it wasn't till we actually stood there next to the tires two hours later that they were changed. Probably because motard tires are more of a pain in the ass, but that was our experience.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast