Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

How can you race TT Isle of Mann?

How can you race TT Isle of Mann?

Please if your opinion is negative or your goal is to make fun of me for even thinking of that keep that to yourself. This thread has one purpose and one purpose only for me to gather information to make this happen.

Kurlon and Jasmar will probably find the most accurate info I needed.
    Jersey girl has raced it or been part of a team that did it if I remember correct so I hope she has some info on this.

So I noticed on the website that there's a lot of classes. LW, super stock, etc.

Long story short I want to do this. I give myself a 3 year time frame.

I believe I have the money to do it. But at the same time I don't know how much it costs. I hope it doesn't cost most more than a full race season at lrrs plus jersey plus Daytona. I HOPE.

I will work on my fitness and riding skill building very hard. My plan is to do attend some schools and ride new tracks.

Looking for info on what bikes fit in what class. Cost. What does it absolutely needed. What is a plus but not necessary and what I should avoid if I am planning on doing this.

I would hope the vets and experienced people will try to be part of this and advice me.

Thanks in advance.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: How can you race TT Isle of Mann?

It's stupid expensive. I know someone who did it. The license process is long and pricey from what he said. But this was some years ago. I can try to get in contact with him.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Ducati/MV Agusta/Kawasaki/Beta
    Boston Tier 1 Racing/ Fishtail Instructor
    DP Brakes Northeast Road Racing Representative

I think you should do it, that would be awesome! Can I go as pit crew?

:edit: and I think you should race the new R1M

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    I think you should do it, that would be awesome! Can I go as pit crew?

:edit: and I think you should race the new R1M
    Fuck yeah you can come. I'd love that kind of support

What's ridiculous cost? 10k 20k or 100+

I know someone who just did it a few months ago. His name is Bill Blythe. Let me know if you want to get in contact with him. He did it on an ex650.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Ya I def need to talk to someone who has done it

Jump on the WERA forum, there are a few TT blokes there who can get you pointed in the right direction, including Mr Blythe.

It's NOT cheap, you're going to have to compete at a higher level than CCS IIRC to start working towards a viable license, there is a medical exam that's required, all sorts of fun stuff. On this one I'm decidedly NOT an expert, go talk to the real ones.

Also consider going over for the Manx TT as a first step?

I don't even know what Manx TT is so that's already a step ahead than where I was earlier today.

Ask on wera.

I know you asked people not to be negative on this thread, but I'm curious on what thought process landed you at giving the Isle of Man serious consideration?

I mean, I watch the videos and daydream about doing it for a split second...then I remember all that stuff I tell myself about being better than all the squids I make fun of is sort of out the window on this thing.

I like to think that racing is about the competition, getting the adrenaline flowing by flipping a bunch of switches that my body / mind perceives as danger, not by putting myself in a situation where a simple lowside might put me straight in line with a brick wall (I don't kid myself that you can get hurt/killed racing at NHMS, or at a track day, but I'm not sure if a dozen LRRS racers have been killed total, but I think that's what they average every year at IoM).

Sort of seems like it would be cheaper to just do wheelies up and down I-90 in a t-shirt and flip-flops, if you want to do something actually dangerous.

I suppose if you see the TT as the pinnacle of motorcycle racing, like some people do, I see that as a draw, but I don't think those guys hold a candle to the actual pinnacle riders (Moto GP) who won't / can't go near that race.

Again, not being negative on your thread or threadjack it, just curious what people think. What I wrote is sort of just what goes through my head when I play around with the faintest notion of ever going near the TT.....

"Where are we going?...and why am I in this handbasket?"
    LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

Maybe if you get a bit of my background you ll understand. I grew up in a village in Greece with 1200 population.
    My first motorbike was a Yamaha townmate 50cc at the age of 12. We used to "drag race" up and down dirt roads near our lake (Lake Kerkini). At the age of 16 I was blessed by a man who saw me street race to be taken to drag racing.
    The same year I had a street crash in which I broke pretty much my entire upper body. My survival at first and later on my ability to walk again were in question. I was out of the hospital in 8 days. I was back at the drag strip in 3 months.
    I did that for two years. I left Greece and moved here at the age of 18 for financial reasons. I sold all my bikes in order to do that.

My first few years were hard. Very hard. I somehow managed to have a bike within 1 year since I moved here. Even if it meant spending 90% of the winter with the heat off.

Few years later I did track days. I got hooked. I stalled buying a newer car (I had a 92 corolla with 220k miles) in order to get a track bike. I crashed a lot. A lot of people made fun of me about it. A lot of people told me to take up another sport. Some people decided to invest time on me and teach me the proper steps.

Same when I got into racing. I showed up clueless with a honda hawk in pieces. Most laughed and walked away. Few stayed and helped me get started and learn and try harder and forced me to push when I wanted to give up. This year I managed some goals that weren't even dreams when I was younger. Winning a race or two was amazing enough. Winning top AM and ccs am in Daytona was beyond anything I could imagine. But same thing some people believed in me and supported me.

I am in good physical health, actually best shape I have ever been. I am in the best financial level I have ever been. Don't get me wrong I ain't rich and this isn't going to be easy. But I think if I put my mind in it I can make it happen. There are people who are willing to help in several levels. Financial, take the trip with me, help me build a bike etc. Once again I can have the whole world saying it's a waste of time and money. But if I have those few people believe in me I will give it all I have to make them proud.

Trust me I have done and I still do wheelies. And I don't have any plans of dying. I don't want to do this for the danger factor or because it's cool. I want to do it for that piece inside me that tells me that opportunities like that don't come often and you should live every moment to the fullest (I know cliche). And I cannot think of a fullest way to do something motorcycle than racing the oldest motorcycle race in history. I am impressed by the videos too. But what if I can be part of it. I don't have dreams of winning it. But you bet all your money that if I make it there, I will try my hardest to do so.

I hope you get a better understanding of why I want to do this. And why I can't even compare it to doing wheelies on public roads. Because once upon a time I was a boy riding a bicycle making motorcycle noises in my back yard. And this year I was blessed enough to race and win in one of the most popular race tracks in the world. Even at the AM club racing level. I just keep realizing every day that impossible is nothing and life is really limitless. The only thing we cannot get back is time. And I don't know if I will ever be in a position that I can say I can do this. I might be wrong. I might never make it. But that won't stop me from dreaming it, researching it and trying my hardest to make it happen. MJ said it better than me "I can accept failure, everyone fails at something, I cannot accept not trying" so I believe I owe to myself to try. Just because of how far I have gotten as a man and as a rider. I want to take it to the absolute of my limits.

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!

The only thing I can really add here is that I have raced internationally and it is A LOT of work. We also had a point person doing a lot of the organizing for us and had like 15 bikes and sidecars and more people than that going so it was a slightly different situation. It was, hands down, one of the best experiences of my life.

We were invited by the Australians to do the Phillip Island Classic, which means they paid to have our bikes shipped over (big expense, but obviously a bit further than the IOM). Between the carnet, which is where you have to claim EVERYTHING you are shipping to getting the FIM license (not sure if you need this, but I am sure you will need something), it is a lot of time and money. You also have to get a crate to ship the bike, which can be obtained at a lot of dealerships. We all had to have the same one so that they would fit into the container. Then there were little things that turned into big things like the Australians use an alcohol based fuel, which would not run well in our bikes. So we shipped over a 50 gallon drum of VP.

You also watch your precious bike float across the ocean and keep your fingers crossed. Most likely everything will be fine, but then it has to get through customs. We had to clean our bikes thoroughly because if it even had a blade of grass on it, it wouldn't make it in the country. There was also a story about a British team a few years prior that shipped their bikes, but the container never made it off the boat and was shipped back to England and they had no bikes.

Your best bet is to do what people said, chat it up on the WERA board (I am a lurker so be prepared for some negativity) and also to Bill Blythe. I also have a friend that did the Island Classic with me that did IOM so I can put you touch with him as well. Good luck! Let me know if you need anything else.

You can take the girl outta Jersey.....

USCRA #75
    Street- 03 Suzuki SV650
    Track- 71 Honda CB350

Go for it!! Do it! I think it is an amazing race and a great goal/dream to achieve !!!

LRRS AM #110 '02 SV650s
    Racing for: Boston Tier 1 Racing
    Sponsors: Woodcraft CFM, Armorbodies, Yoshimura, DP Brakes, Lucas Oil.

I wanna go too. Manx or the full monte.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I wanna go too. Manx or the full monte.
    As I was typing my history post I thought you d post the pic of my ducttape gsxr

Thank you. Ill jump on the wera boards to see what they say. I will give this more than 100% to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by jerseygirl View Post
    ... to getting the FIM license (not sure if you need this, but I am sure you will need something), it is a lot of time and money...
    It does look like he will need and FIM license, and will have to have had the FIM license for more than 12 months prior to the TT, as well as a TT Road Course specific license. Still assembling (theoretical) data on the requirements. Best, bet, as others have said, is to talk to someone who's done it. There are additional requirements about completing a specific # of road races in the 12 months prior... Not sure "exactly" what qualifies as a road racing event yet.

3 year window sounds like a reasonable time frame.

Cost... Hmmm. I would guess more than an LRRS Season, but I'm guessing.

Throwing my hat in the ring for pit crew .

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

If you race that 1k it might be held together with tape after.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Talk to this guy

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Karate.Snoopy; 11-06-14 at 09:56 AM.

I think you're going to want bodywork

Quote Originally Posted by Karate.Snoopy View Post
    Talk to this guy

But don't plan on understanding anything he says .

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I assume it won't be that easy but in 2004 we shipped an boat container from Boston to Greece for $1500.
    IIRC and I will dig out the info it turned out to be cheaper to actually buy the container than rent it.

It took 6 months to get to Greece. In it there was a Chrysler Cebring, a golf car and enough furniture for an 800sq ft house.

I want to believe that there is a way I can do something similar with the bike and everything else I might need.

If there is a US contingent going there will likely be an option to ship with them in one container as a means of cost sharing.

Good point Josh.

I also want to say a massive thank you to those who are already doing research and have reached out to me with ideas/suggestions and words of encouragement.

Also be careful if you are saying you ll come overseas to help, I might hold you to that.

Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast