Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

How can you race TT Isle of Mann?

Re: How can you race TT Isle of Mann?

2008 Kawasaki EX650. Pretty much a street bike that I'll be converting over.
    12200 miles. Nearly all stock. Ckean title.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I have a bunch of parts. They actually equal a whole bikes worth of parts and then some.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I have a bunch of parts. They actually equal a whole bikes worth of parts and then some.
    I may have noticed haha

Even though it's a Kawi,I still want to be part of the pit crew!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Even though it's a Kawi,I still want to be part of the pit crew!
    Trust me I feel the same and im the owner haha

There's always the 24 Hours of Le Mans to consider too..

some progress as far as communication goes with the people who run the TT.
    Got approval for the bike to participate.
    Lots of progress done as far as staying.
    Getting a lot of information about shipping of the bike.
    lots of step towards the right direction so far. If all goes well I might go spectate this year

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

And planning a 2016 racing campaign?

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    And planning a 2016 racing campaign?
    we will know more in winter. right now the plan is to do Manx GP and Pikes Peak in 2016 and then TT in 2017.
    We will see how it goes.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

What about the Northwest 200 and/or the Ulster GP? Both would be great experience for the TT.

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    What about the Northwest 200 and/or the Ulster GP? Both would be great experience for the TT.
    Can't afford to be flying and shipping the bike to UK that often

Sounds like Sausagefest time instead... one trip, one epic series of events...

so for those who dont here is where we are standing right now.
    I have made several connects with the residents of the isle who will assist me with getting around, transporting my stuff and with my stay (and the crew's) on while on the isle.
    I have some great videos of on board riding on the isle with step by step instructions and explanations that I watch almost daily trying to learn the track as much as I can. I also got TT superbikes on Playstation 2 that has the TT course as another attempt to learn the track.

As of right now the plan is to apply for next year's TT and hope for the best. If I do not get accepted to the TT I will go race the Manx GP (same course) and that way I will secure my spot in the 2017 TT.

The bike I have chosen is an 07 Kawasaki EX650 (ER-6) with a clean title with some goodies already on. The bike has been raced on LRRS before and I will be racing it this year locally as well.

My amazing friend and teammate Adam Butler is being major help (actually he is doing most of the work and I am actually helping him with whatever I can) with everything on this bike. I will give as many details as I can for the build. Here is where we are standing right now.

Front end completely off the bike

The zx6 front forks will be set up for my weight by GMD Computrack Boston and Peter Kates.
    The rear shock will also be set up by GMD and PK. The main goal this year is to get the bike dialed in as good as possible while racing on as many tracks as possible, that way I can get used to the bike and get it as close to my liking and comfort level, while I am learning to ride it on different conditions and layouts, something that i will experience on a whole different level while on the isle.

a very common mod on these bikes is swapping the swing arm to a versys 650 for various reasons such as weight savings and easier wheel swaps.

Scott Mullin and souhegan valley motorsports were great help with getting us the very hard to find swing arm at a great price and we are expecting it any day now...

It is known for a while that the best exhaust for these bikes is the Arrow Evo Minitwin Titanium exhaust.

BR Special Tuning from UK was kind enough to give us a great discount on a new one and ship it to the US within short notice during the holidays

EYE CANDY <3

Both the frame and the subframe are made out of steal in this bike. Adam will be fabricating a custom lightweight subframe out of aluminum for this build. so we chopped off the steal one after a lot of research on where and how to do it, we decided on this:

the piece that we took off is 9.2lbs:

More updates to come soon. We are working on as many things as we can at the same time.

Also massive thank you Sportbike Track Gear for getting us a ton of parts extremely fast.

Thank you all for the constant support through this. it certainly is a lot of work, but I have many great people on my corner and that gives me a lot of confidence. It would be great to be able to afford to just buy a TT bike from England and just show up and race but I am trying to do this the best way possible. and although it is very hard (emotionally, financially and physically) right now, it will make the whole experience that much better.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Just cruising the rule book, few things of interest to note when plotting your build:

1) Fuel is Brittish Superbike spec, aka Pump 90 MON fuel. That's equivalent to US 94 (R + M)/2. So if you built to run off high test you'll be good. They're pissy about storage and transportation of fuel over there too. Got 2L in a jug, you have to get a license from the Isle to store it at your camp site, you can't have more than 10L in your pit in cans. Sounds like you'll need to make sure you've got a person to do fuel runs and will need to know where the pumps are.

2) Fuel tank - You can punch it out to 20L, and you can use alternate materials. I can direct you to someone who can make a full carbon or fiberglass unit if you want to go that route.

3) Electrics - Gotta keep the boat anchor alternator, but I may know one trick that can at least free up a pony or two still... Wiring harness can be chopped down, got a wiring diagram for that bike yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Just cruising the rule book, few things of interest to note when plotting your build:

1) Fuel is Brittish Superbike spec, aka Pump 90 MON fuel. That's equivalent to US 94 (R + M)/2. So if you built to run off high test you'll be good. They're pissy about storage and transportation of fuel over there too. Got 2L in a jug, you have to get a license from the Isle to store it at your camp site, you can't have more than 10L in your pit in cans. Sounds like you'll need to make sure you've got a person to do fuel runs and will need to know where the pumps are.

2) Fuel tank - You can punch it out to 20L, and you can use alternate materials. I can direct you to someone who can make a full carbon or fiberglass unit if you want to go that route.

3) Electrics - Gotta keep the boat anchor alternator, but I may know one trick that can at least free up a pony or two still... Wiring harness can be chopped down, got a wiring diagram for that bike yet?
    Based on my current research I should be able to do 2 full laps on each tank. Gas runner is a must during the TT. Unfortunately the only way to know more about this, is to actually turn some laps there.

I dont have the knowledge or the money to make/adjust a tank, or at least its not an immediate plan. I know the factory teams do it and even then not all of them.

I do not have the electric diagram and to be honest with you I dont know if i can mess with it (again knowledge issue and time) at least now. I did see a few builds where they saved 900 grams (2lbs!!!!) from wiring alone, so it is something i might wanna do..

Josh join us on this hahaha you bring a fuckton of knowledge and you like all the things I hate about this..

in case anyone has ideas here are the LW rules:
    APPENDIX E
    LIGHTWEIGHT TT RACE – TECHNICAL REGULATIONS
    Machines must comply with general technical rules as per ACU Standing Regulations and 2015 IOM TT regulations.
    •
    Any four-stroke twin cylinder motorcycle originally sold for road use with a water cooled engine of up to 650cc may be used provided it adheres
    to the following regulations. Eligible machines must be from models homologated for road use in the UK, 2006 or later.

Verification of Machines
    •
    In the TT Lightweight Race a dynometer will be used to check power output (motorcycles must be submitted for these checks no later than noon
    on Wednesday 3rd June 2015).
    Frame and Swing Arm
    •
    Frame must remain as originally produced by the manufacturer for the homologated machine. Surplus attachment brackets may be removed and
    replaced with those more suitable for race fairings, sub frame attachment & instrument brackets. Rear sub frame may be removed, replaced or modified.
    •
    Swing arm may be replaced from a model of the same Manufacturer, provided the original attachment to frame and rear suspension remains as
    homologated. No bracing or strengthening is allowed.

Suspension
    •
    Forks may be changed or modified. Fork yokes / triple clamp may be changed. Original internal parts of the fork may be modified or replaced.
    Aftermarket damper kits or valves may be installed. Fork springs may be replaced. Fork caps may be modified or replaced beyond the homolo
    -
    gated standard to allow external adjustments.
    •
    Steering damper may be added or changed.
    •
    Rear suspension unit can be changed or modified, but the original attachment to the frame and swing arm must remain as homologated.
    Brakes
    •
    Front and rear brake discs may be changed. Only ferrous materials are allowed for brake discs.
    •
    Front Brake and rear brake callipers maybe changed or modified.
    •
    Front and rear brake pads may be changed.
    •
    Front and rear master cylinders may be changed.
    •
    Front and rear hydraulic brake lines may be changed. The split of the front brake lines for both front brake callipers must be made above the lower
    fork bridge (bottom yoke).

Wheels and Tyres
    •
    Wheels may be replaced. Magnesium, Carbon fibre or composite wheels are not permitted.
    •
    All tyres must be moulded treaded type. Slick or cut slick tyres are not permitted.
    Controls
    •
    Footrest and foot controls may be replaced or relocated but brackets must be mounted to the frame at the original mounting points.
    •
    Handlebars, hand controls and cables may be altered or replaced. Engine starter switch and kill switch must be located on the handlebars and
    must be operational at technical checks.
    Bodywork, tank, fairing and seat unit
    •
    Fairing, mudguards and seat unit may be altered or replaced.
    •
    Windscreen, if fitted, may be replaced with transparent material only.
    •
    The original instruments and fairing brackets may be removed, replaced or added to.
    •
    The petrol tank capacity may be no greater than 20 litres.
    •
    The unleaded baffle in the tank may be removed and the filler replaced.
    •
    The position of the tank mounting points on the frame must remain as standard.
    •
    Fuel tank materials may be changed.
    •
    The position of the tank mounting points on the frame must remain as standard.
    •
    The fuel tank breather must vent via a non return valve into a catch tank with a minimum capacity 250cc. This must be visible so it can be checked
    at Technical checks.
    •
    The lower fairing has to be constructed to hold, in case of an engine breakdown, at least half of the total oil and engine coolant capacity used in
    the engine (minimum 5 litres).
    •
    The lower edge of openings in the fairing must be positioned at least 50 mm above the bottom of the fairing.

Battery
    •
    The size and type of the battery may be changed and relocated.
    Engine
    •
    Bore and Stroke must remain as per the standard machine.
    •
    Original OEM cylinder head, pistons, valves, cylinders may be modified, polished or lightened.
    •
    Gas flow modifications normally associated with individual tuning is permitted.
    •
    Compression ratio of the engine maybe changed. Capacity must not exceed 650cc.
    •
    Pistons may be replaced.
    •
    Conrods may be modified or replaced but the material must remain as homologated and the rods must be the same weight or heavier than standard.
    •
    Crankshaft must remain as homologated, no polishing lightening or surface treatments may be added.
    •
    Camshaft timing may be changed by the slotting of cam sprockets. Cam lift and dwell is free.
    •
    The thermostat may be removed from the housing to aid cooling, if required.
    Ignition & Fuel system & Throttle bodies
    •
    Throttle bodies can be changed, bored out or polished.
    •
    Engine fuel/ignition ECU must remain as per the homologated machine.
    •
    The addition of a fuelling only “power commander” type device plugged in to the existing wiring loom is permitted.
    •
    The maximum rpm of the stock machine must be retained.
    •
    All machines will be tested on the Dyno during practice week and selected machines post race to check ECU and RPM limiter.
    •
    Bell mouths may be modified or replaced.
    •
    Standard Air boxes may be modified or replaced.

Transmission
    •
    Gearbox maybe changed or modified.
    •
    Additions to the gearbox or selector mechanism, such as quick shift systems are permitted.
    •
    Clutch springs, friction and drive plates may be replaced.
    •
    The use of slipper clutch assemblies is permitted.
    •
    Front and rear external drive sprockets, chain pitch, width and length can be changed.
    Electrics
    •
    The alternator, starting system, starter crank gear and starter shaft may not be altered, replaced or removed from those fitted to the homologated
    motorcycle.
    •
    The engine must start using the standard on board electric start.
    •
    The original wiring harness maybe modified.

Exhaust System
    •
    Exhaust pipe and silencers may be altered or replaced from those fitted to the homologated motorcycle.
    •
    The number of final exit(s) to the exhaust may be altered from that of the homologated machine.
    Fasteners
    •
    Standard fasteners may be replaced with fasteners of any material and design. The strength and design must be equal to or exceed the strength
    of the standard fastener it is replacing for structural applications.
    •
    The use of titanium in the swing arm spindles and the wheels spindles is forbidden. For wheel spindles the use of light alloys is also forbidden. The
    use of titanium alloy nuts and bolts is allowed. Aluminium fasteners may only be used in non-structural locations.
    The Following Items MUST BE Removed
    •
    Headlamp, rear lamp and turn signal indicators. Rear view mirrors, horn, license plate bracket, tool box, helmet hooks and luggage carrier hooks,
    passenger foot rests, passenger grab rails, safety bars, centre and side stands must be removed (fixed brackets must remain).
    The following items MAY BE removed
    •
    Instruments, instrument bracket and associated cables, tachometer, speedometer and wheel spacers, radiator fan and associated wiring and upper
    chain guard.

Chain Guards
    •
    A guard must be fitted in such a way as to prevent trapping between the lower drive chain run and the final drive sprocket at the rear wheel.
    Fuel
    •
    Only Unleaded fuel as specified in the 2015 IOM TT regulations is permitted. The use of fuel additives is strictly prohibited.
    Radiator and Oil Cooler
    •
    Original radiator and oil cooler can be replaced. An oil cooler can be added if not fitted as standard.

Safety Lights
    •
    A functioning red light must be fitted at the rear of the motorcycle. It must be switched on at all times when the machine is on course. Lights must
    comply with the following:
    •
    Lighting direction must be parallel to the machine centre line (motorcycle running direction), and be clearly visible from the rear at least 15 de
    -
    grees to both left and right sides of the machine centre line.
    •
    Mounted on the seat/rear bodywork approximately on the machine centre line, in a position approved by the Chief Technical Officer. In case of
    a dispute over the mounting position or visibility, the decision of Race Direction will be final.
    •
    Power output/luminosity equivalent to approximately; 10 – 15W (incandescent) 0.6-1.8W (LED). Able to be switched on and off by the rider
    when seated on the machine.
    •
    Safety light power supply may be separated from the motorcycle main wiring and battery.

I'm all about this, whatever I can do to help just say the word.

not much to add here but best of luck and glad to see your work in progress, must feel awesome having this kind of support from friends, family and forum members

Quote Originally Posted by 7UPyours View Post
    not much to add here but best of luck and glad to see your work in progress, must feel awesome having this kind of support from friends, family and forum members
    Legit! Blessed isn't enough to describe my feelings

Lifer

One question : where the hell are the team 'vas goes to the TT shirts? Some of us actually wear those.
    Maybe too soon, but that plan better be in the queue or I'm withdrawing all support and will root for some other guy.

I am tentatively planning taking most of next summer off from work. If you need pit crew, I'm not against a trip to IOM.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    One question : where the hell are the team 'vas goes to the TT shirts? Some of us actually wear those.
    Maybe too soon, but that plan better be in the queue or I'm withdrawing all support and will root for some other guy.
    Real talk I hvent thought about stuff like that at all

Lifer

Mostly pulling your chain. Possible fundraising source though. From what I hear you're way better at fundraising than I am. So I'm sure you have it covered.

I was just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Mostly pulling your chain. Possible fundraising source though. From what I hear you're way better at fundraising than I am. So I'm sure you have it covered.

I was just sayin'.
    I'm actually doing pretty bad on the fundraising part of this project. What's a fair price to sell shirts?
    I'd also have to find out how much it cost me to get them done. The Olympus Racing ones with names on the back cost me $22