Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Racers

Racers

Found this to be pretty spot on. He was a former LRRS racer I believe!
    The Gulbransen Film From The AFM Banquet – SuperbikePlanet

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Racers

Yup, I raced with Eric at Loudon.

Paul_E_D

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

LOL the FUC%ing clicks LMAO

SO TRUE!!!!!!!!!

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Quote Originally Posted by nt650hawk View Post

SO TRUE!!!!!!!!!
    Spoken like a true pit betty! LOL

Paul_E_D

That was a cool video. Afm always makes inspiring videos for there banquets. I remember seeing there one from 2010 i think and that was the moment i said ya i really got to try this racing thing.

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Just keep moving those markers in until your pants become soiled and you see god.
    LRRS EX #329
    Thank you to my 2022 sponsors: Vortex, Hot Bodies, Cycle gear, Spectro Oil, DP brakes!!

Animal Hill Super Motard Champion Johnny B's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nt650hawk View Post

SO TRUE!!!!!!!!!
    I thought you misspelled "cliques" until I watched the video.

Eric was shooting up at Loudon a few years back. I don't remember if he released it or not.

Johnny B. (the other one) ®
    Butler's Rest Home - "No Vacancy"
    Super Motard Champ 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985

Visit the Rest Home: http://resthome.50megs.com

"Listen to your ass, it's giving you lots of information!" - Buddy Melges

Animal Hill Super Motard Champion Johnny B's Avatar

Yes, Eric was Expert #94. One story The Don told me had it that he was driving back from a race. He was towing a trailer and was driving on a highway where they weren't allowed. He got pulled over by the police and things went downhill from there. Expired registration and so forth. The cop goes back to the cruiser with whatever paperwork he had and Eric is sweating bullets. After a bit the cop came back.

"I see the decals on your trailer. You race with LRRS?"

"Uh, yes sir."

"Is Don Hutchinson still there?"

"Uh, yes."

The cop handed back the paperwork, no ticket. "Take care of all this stuff when you get home, OK?"

Johnny B. (the other one) ®
    Butler's Rest Home - "No Vacancy"
    Super Motard Champ 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985

Visit the Rest Home: http://resthome.50megs.com

"Listen to your ass, it's giving you lots of information!" - Buddy Melges

Short bus rider

Eric raced SuperTwins if I remember correctly, he was fast .

The fucking clicks made me giggle like a little girl. That whole video was fantastic.

Hours and hours ,sometimes days if not weeks with lots of anxiety and hard earned dollars just for a few minutes of a Zen.

That was a sick video. Sorry to hijack the thread but since it has been quiet anyway figured I would ask. The guy at the very end of the video with the Ducati talks about giving up racing, Made me think about something I've wondered about. What are the most common reasons you see guys stop racing? I'd assume money is a factor, Time, Family Etc? Ever since I started doing track days I've researched articles/videos and other resources just out of sheer interest and wanting to learn as much as I can, I've come across lots of content of guys who I no longer see or hear about racing anymore. And then I know there's guys who have been doing it consistently for decades barely missing a weekend. Any thoughts on what makes some people come and go? Just curious. Thank you guys

Short bus rider

Quote Originally Posted by DJ1991 View Post
    That was a sick video. Sorry to hijack the thread but since it has been quiet anyway figured I would ask. The guy at the very end of the video with the Ducati talks about giving up racing, Made me think about something I've wondered about. What are the most common reasons you see guys stop racing? I'd assume money is a factor, Time, Family Etc? Ever since I started doing track days I've researched articles/videos and other resources just out of sheer interest and wanting to learn as much as I can, I've come across lots of content of guys who I no longer see or hear about racing anymore. And then I know there's guys who have been doing it consistently for decades barely missing a weekend. Any thoughts on what makes some people come and go? Just curious. Thank you guys
    I can only speak for myself. Racing was the greatest feeling I ever had. It was as if the girl of my dreams threw herself at me and loved me like no other. The problem was she was abusive and I loved it (BDSM)! The problem is No relationship can burn that intense forever.
    I alway miss her but other priorities in life pull things apart.

Most of the racers who have been doing it for so long have invested their life in one way or another to the sport.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

For me personally I have quit racing twice only to return, the factors involved time and money but also how much fun I was having. life outside of racing tends to effect my mood about racing, how much support do I have for this on the home front and work make a big difference!
    My approach to racing has changed over time. At the beginning it was a no holes bared go for it attitude and nothing else mattered! Bills, people credit be dammed. I was fast and competed for championships that's all I thought about! as I grew older my views and options in life changed. Kids the people in my life, how I spent my money all became I guess in a word my normal.. But the drive to keep racing was still there and has I guess has never gone away. I don't win anymore matter of fact my last trophy of any kind was four years ago. I still enjoy the sport the competition and pushing myself to be better every race weekend. even though I am three seconds of my best lap times at NHMS! I can see a end date this time, as age and money again will put an end to this fun.. And it has been a great ride... and maybe I can get closer to my best times before I do hang it up! HA!

Last edited by MUZ720; 02-02-19 at 11:26 AM.

Finances and other hobbies. I found a much cheaper alternative with bicycles. It satisfies the itch for me. And I have a street bike again.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Concussions

Ducati/MV Agusta/Kawasaki/Beta
    Boston Tier 1 Racing/ Fishtail Instructor
    DP Brakes Northeast Road Racing Representative

Quote Originally Posted by theducman View Post
    Concussions
    I'm hearing that doesn't stop as many people as you'd expect...

I think for most people there is definitely a time limit to racing. 5 years of full on racing seems to be a common life cycle. The spending, the work, the stress, the strain on other relationships etc. It's hard to push through the 5 year mark wiithout some real challenges. It's an obsession and it takes a toll.

I took 10 years away and came back to it last season. I returned because I can afford it better, and my GF is a racer. Having full support and encouragement from my partner is a game changer. We had a blast racing all over the east coast last summer, and I'm looking forward to doing it again.

Paul_E_D

It was the stress and anxiety for me. I am a procrastinator to the core and was never fully prepared for any round of racing. Instead of continuously progressing my machine to the quasi-mythical state of "dialed-in", it slowly went the other way. It was still a net positive experience for a few seasons, but then after a hard crash and injury, I never really got back to that point. I had a massive sigh of relief the day I finally accepted it and threw in the towel.

I havent left and dont really plan to yet but i can say that there is alot that is always there saying its time to. Money is a big factor, life stuff gets in the way. Sadly over the years you see your friends not coming back and that is a big thing. I remember there was a time when all my friends were there and racing aside it was just me hanging out with some of my closest friends that shared my interests. I dont get that in my day to day life and every year with there being 1 or 2 less guys i am close to kind of sucks. I know there are new people to meet but i can be kind of an old hermit person so new people scare me. Im still doing it for now because i really love racing but i know what will take me out and that is the weekend that i spend alone in my pit area for the entire weekend. Fyi this is totally my anxiety and my fault but it is what it is. Racing is a community and i miss people when they are gone for sure

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Just keep moving those markers in until your pants become soiled and you see god.
    LRRS EX #329
    Thank you to my 2022 sponsors: Vortex, Hot Bodies, Cycle gear, Spectro Oil, DP brakes!!

I haven't quit yet either, but the time and financial commitment is considerable, especially if you want to be at the front. I can already see an outlet from racing in a cheaper way to get my kicks.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Quote Originally Posted by Mgiossi View Post
    I havent left and dont really plan to yet but i can say that there is alot that is always there saying its time to. Money is a big factor, life stuff gets in the way. Sadly over the years you see your friends not coming back and that is a big thing. I remember there was a time when all my friends were there and racing aside it was just me hanging out with some of my closest friends that shared my interests. I dont get that in my day to day life and every year with there being 1 or 2 less guys i am close to kind of sucks. I know there are new people to meet but i can be kind of an old hermit person so new people scare me. Im still doing it for now because i really love racing but i know what will take me out and that is the weekend that i spend alone in my pit area for the entire weekend. Fyi this is totally my anxiety and my fault but it is what it is. Racing is a community and i miss people when they are gone for sure
    I was worried that it just wouldn't be the same when I returned to LRRS, but I feel like the community is as strong as ever. It was somewhat easy for me because most of my TTD crew are racing, so I had a ready made group of friends. But I have met some great people, and reconnected with a few that are still at it from back in my first stint. So, that part is once again grabbing hold of me.

It feels great to hone my riding/racing skills again. I still have a way to go to reach and surpass my former level, but it is coming, and damn, I love carving a bike. I actually am a better rider now than I was 10 years ago, so I'm thinking I can take a step forward this coming season. Can't wait. For now, I'm hooked.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    I haven't quit yet either, but the time and financial commitment is considerable, especially if you want to be at the front. I can already see an outlet from racing in a cheaper way to get my kicks.
    I haven't found that cheaper outlet... other formats of racing are interesting, but none of them so far scratch the itch that a road bike cranked over and carving does for me. No idea what my exit strategy is ultimately going to be, at the moment it's still full stupid ahead!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

For me it was the money vs fun factor. Progressing up the ranks was by far one of the most fun and exciting experiences of my life. Once you hit a certain level and "plateau" you no longer get those thrills of setting new personal records or beating "that guy" for the first time (as often or as easily anyway). The faster you get, the more expensive it gets as well... so eventually you're paying more money to have less fun. I was also a bit of a win it or bin it young idiot at the time, so keeping the damn bike(s) alive added up quickly.

All just my personal experience of course. These days, spirited touring and motocamping with the girlfriend are more my jam.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ1991 View Post
    I had a big crash. The night before that crash I found out I was going to be a Dad. I had been playing it fast and loose with finances and career for a while, it was honestly the best thing that could have happened to me. I decided to hang it up and focus all of my efforts on building a family. Thankfully that is going well, my son will be 3 later this month and my wife and I just got back from our wedding in Mexico. We are both happy at work and have a cool property in SE Mass.

I'm about ready to start looking for another track bike. I will approach much differently this time though. First time through I did a handful of track days, convinced myself I was VR46 and jumped straight into racing. I think I'll be perfectly content with just doing track days for a while this time. I'm planning on getting my son onto a dirt bike this summer and see how he likes it. If that goes somewhere maybe racing could become a family affair down the road. It sure taught me some very valuable lessons about myself, some would have been better learned much earlier in life.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    I haven't found that cheaper outlet... other formats of racing are interesting, but none of them so far scratch the itch that a road bike cranked over and carving does for me.
    It's a little different than racing. I'm a little old for it, and haven't been training long, but I could see MMA taking the place of racing for me in the near future, probably 2 or 3 years down the road. Access is year round, it's cheap and easy to train and compete, and you can still get that adrenaline dump. It won't be the same as peeling the throttle open up turn 7, but it might take the edge off.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube