Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Racing a 125 GP, Bunch of Q's

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

Re: Racing a 125 GP, Bunch of Q's

Quote Originally Posted by rolker View Post
    Let me provide my opinions based on my limited experience as a track day rider and very new novice racer. The only other bike I have ridden is my EX250 (I imagine it must be just like an EX500, but with less power) so I don't have any "big bike" experience to shape my perspective on the 125.
    I’ve ridden bigger bikes on the street, but it’s different. Only thing I’ve ridden on the track is my EX.

If you're already comfortable with working on a 2 stroke, you're already ahead of me! I'm learning as I go with mine but it is such an easy bike to work on that I'm really enjoying discovering how it works.
    Sounds like my KX125, which is why I don’t mind working on it. My EX (or anything with multiple carbs) gives me a headache.

I hate working on the EX now that I have the 125. On the 125, everything is simple, has a purpose and is designed to be easily maintained by the owner.
    Sounds like my kind of bike, at least for wrenching on.

When I was doing trackdays on the EX250, I never had a desire for riding a bigger bike. Learning to go faster with what I have is much more appealing than obtaining speed by buying horsepower. Don't get me wrong, when I first rode the 125 and experienced the infamous power band, I was grinning ear to ear!
    I get that after any race. Bikes, motorcycles, turtles, doesn’t matter. Racing = smiling!

Many have said that you will learn a lot about riding on a 125.
    They say the same about the EX. I love my EX, I just find those 125s sooooooo cool. Wish the schedule was different so I could race both for a season to see which I liked more.

Like Paul said, this will depend a lot on how fast you are. So far, I have about half a dozen track days, penguin school and a couple of races on mine. The new slicks I put on when I got the bike still have plenty of rubber and I'm still on the same pads which had been used for a couple of races by the previous owner (expert).

I not going to worry much about tire and brake wear until I'm in the 25's and lower range.
    Tires, I agree. Brakes, watch yourself! Everyone told me I’d get a full season as a novice on my EX. First practice weekend before the one we just did I ran out of brakes… metal backing plate of pad to rotor!

The manual recommends every 500km (300miles) just like Paul strongly suggests. The top end is simple to do, it won't eat up much of your time. Cost might be a factor, but here's some advice I got from my bike's previous owner (47 years of expert level racing in Canada). Do check the top end regularly but only replace the parts that need replacing. Inspect the piston, ring and cylinder. Measure to make sure they are still within specs and if everything still looks ok, just replace the cheap parts (circ clip and o-rings).
    Again, sounds just like a dirt bike. Rings need replacing a lot more than actual pistons.

That is a down side, but help improve this by joining us! Looking at this season's results, I saw 3 competitors that registered for Novice 125GP. Now that I have experienced my first race weekend as a competitor, I can garantee I'll be there regularly!
    It’s not happening real soon, but it is looking like my next bike. Worst case my friend wants to get started soon, and her height will make a 125GP her only option. Hm… if I’m AM by then, which I should be, maybe I can run hers for a few practice sessions or races to see how I like these things?!

The 125 starts easily, once you get the hang of it, a few steps and she goes! If you do notice me taking a few tries to get mine going, it's that I'm still new to it. Remeber, the fact that you need to bump start means the machine is simpler. No starter, battery, etc that needs maintaining or adds unnecessary weight.

I don't consider this a drawback.
    I hear ya, but I’d still like a kick-start! It’s not too many extra parts.

Here's my take on it. Not replacing the clutch parts as often as Paul suggest is not going to leave me stranded on the grid. It might not allow me to get the optimum start, but as a novice, my lack of skill is slowing me down significantly more than the bike not being in pristine condition.

Right now, I feel that spending money on track time will help me much more than keeping the bike in top shape. It's important I keep the bike in good shape so she doesn't blow up on me, but I need to strike a good balance that makes sense for my situation. I suspect as I get faster, keeping the bike in top shape will become more important.
    I can understand this completely. I can be a bit picky though, if I feel like $20 of clutch plates is interfering with my start, they’re getting replaced. It’s different person to person but that’s how I feel. I was told when my EX needed a clutch I could probably have done a couple plates, or shimmed springs, etc. I put in a new clutch. Not worth it to me to dick around, I want my stuff to work.

When Paul took mine out for a spin a few weeks ago, he started pushing it out of the garage with a couple of running steps, hopped on and away he went! The thing is light, you don't need a second person pushing you. The only trick to starting it involves knowing when to crack the throttle and how much to do so. I'm still learning this so it sometimes takes me 2 or 3 tries to get going.

At track days when I need to wait for a while at the end of hot pit, I often turn off the engine like everyone else. When it's my turn to pit out, I take a few steps, let out the clutch and she starts immediately as I keep going. It's almost like a hybrid that shuts down at stop lights!

I haven't crashed at a race yet, but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to start right up and keep going.
    Good to know!

Oh yeah, being used to the EX250, which gave me over 50mpg ON THE TRACK, my fuel costs did go up with the 125. Two pails of C12 (total of 10 gallons) with corresponding amount of oil cost me $156 so $15.60/gallon (mixed). I haven't yet calculated the fuel economy on RS125 but I do have data to do so.
    I’d be very curious to hear those #’s, if you ever get around to it.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Neal and Tyler both instruct with TTD, have raced 125s and have helped me a lot at track days. Other 125 riders I have met at track days (including an expert champion!) have always been very helpful.

I was supposed to go find where where all the GP bikes hang out at Loudon, but I was so busy on my first weekend that I never got around to it! (I'll go find you guys next time!) I do hear they are a great group as well.

I've also hear great things about the USGPRU community. I sure hope I get to go race at a few of their events on the east coast once I build a bit more experience here.

So getting a 125, you don't just get a great little race bike, you become member of a great racing community!
    Sounds like the EX500's. That's something else I love about that bike, there's nothing that can go wrong that I can't get help, tools, and parts to fix that night @ the track.

dangerous dan, what class do you run for turtle racing?

LRRS #399
    MX #505

Quote Originally Posted by seth399 View Post
    dangerous dan, what class do you run for turtle racing?
    We just bet on them. Either which one crosses the stream first in the woods, or which bike will clip them when they cross the track @ Loudon. I always bet on you hitting them, because you like to ride into shit.

I like turtles, I do not wish to hit them

LRRS #399
    MX #505

"to see which one I like better" don't try a 125 ever if you want to ride that EX again. Comparing a world championship level chasis to your EX is just uh... not possible. People don't seem to realize how a fully developed racebike is in a different world from a crappy streetbike.

Paul_E_D

The 125's can run USCRA and AMA and AHRMA vintage races. 250's can run AMA and AHRMA. Of course they both can run USGPRU so that is a consideration if you have a urge to hit different tracks. Mid-Ohio is coming up. Just went down to NJMP with Bob (22). USGPRU honors CCS licenses so no need to buy one there..... That bike in the raffle. I saw it. It is beautiful. The nicest wheels on it.... I met the girl who won it a couple of years ago down in NJ. Her husband now races one too. The people in USGPRU are great. Then there is this guy Bruce Lind. The traveling circus. He has a hauler and brings the bikes to all the big races. Google it. It is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    "to see which one I like better" don't try a 125 ever if you want to ride that EX again. Comparing a world championship level chasis to your EX is just uh... not possible. People don't seem to realize how a fully developed racebike is in a different world from a crappy streetbike.
    Hahaha... I keep forgetting these things come off the factory as done up race bikes, and cost twice what a new EX costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    The 125's can run USCRA and AMA and AHRMA vintage races. 250's can run AMA and AHRMA. Of course they both can run USGPRU so that is a consideration if you have a urge to hit different tracks. Mid-Ohio is coming up. Just went down to NJMP with Bob (22). USGPRU honors CCS licenses so no need to buy one there..... That bike in the raffle. I saw it. It is beautiful. The nicest wheels on it.... I met the girl who won it a couple of years ago down in NJ. Her husband now races one too. The people in USGPRU are great. Then there is this guy Bruce Lind. The traveling circus. He has a hauler and brings the bikes to all the big races. Google it. It is awesome.
    Badass stuff. I don't see racing outside LRRS in my near future though, so I'm just wondering what classes I'd have a shot in there on a 125GP.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post

When I was doing trackdays on my EX250, I realized I would need something else if I wanted to race. I considered the EX500, as it seemed like the logical progression from the 250, but when I got to experience the RS125, the choice became clear...

I can't even describe how different both bikes feel to me. After riding the RS, the EX feels like a cruiser. Feels like I'm riding a boat around the track! (I guess it's appropriate that I still take the EX to TDs to ride in the rain!)

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

Ive always wanted to try one myself i know what a new one costs but what are good used ones going for? And where is a good place to look?

Part time expert,part time hooligan

Here's another one for sale for 3.5k

http://www.usgpru.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7792

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"