Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Racing flat track with an XR100

Re: Racing flat track with an XR100

cool!

mini riding/racing is a blast...friggen blast

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    That's what I was hoping for. I don't want to get into a class where I need to be dropping wads to have a machine worthy of being competitive. I'd rather spend that money on track days or just start racing at Loudon again. This would be a cheap fun hobby. Unfortunately they don't have the bone stock class.
    +1.

Made my way up to Boxshop this weekend to check things out. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I spent my morning playing in the dirt and didn't get underway until late in the day. By the time I got there I had missed all the racing. But I managed to poke around enough to realize that this may be for me. I'm seriously thinking about adding a XR/CRF100 or TTR125 to my wish list this fall/winter. I kind of want to go racing, but I also want to retire someday and keep the mortgage paid. An acquaintance of mine runs NSR50's, CRF100's and intends to run a Grom with NJ MiniGP down in Jersy. Part of the appeal is that the lower speeds hopefully equals lower chance of injury in an off.

Still skeptical that a 100cc air-cooled pos with drum brakes can handle my overgrown ass. But I'm interested.

Shame these CRF or TTRs can't pull double duty with little more than a wheel swap between weekends. I would not mind trying flat track as well as it sure looks like cheap, solid fun.

Whaddayah say? Lets buy some stock 100's and be the slow back markers duking it out for last place.

Boxshop is ~1.5 hours from me. Wachusett is 1.75.

I'm just getting ready to do up a race report for this weekend at Boxshop. Unfortunately I think I missed your visit. The benefit to being 30 minutes away is I can get a hot shower and sleep in my own bed at night so...

Most of the guys running XR100s at Boxshop have upgraded to older CR front ends to get disc brakes up front. My TTR comes with a disc front out of the crate. That said, I'm still mostly using the transmission for major braking at Boxshop. Sintered pads still don't provide much bite when you're working a tiny caliper with a small OD rotor, but banging down a gear works great. The new CRF 125 looks like it might be viable, slightly larger chassis, disc front out of the crate... I'm curious if there is an easy 16" or 17" front wheel swap for it though like there is on the XR100 / TTR 125?

As far as pulling double duty, why won't a TTR/XR do it? I'm jumping my TTR on stock suspension already, I just happen to have a road tires mounted when I do so.

glad you made it up to boxshop, which one were you?

Btw ive run wvr and boxshop. The thing about wvr is there's only 1 mini class(well 2 if you count TT) and it seems like every god dam bike is BUILT. im sorry but im just not into spending thousands on a mini. Boxshop on the other hand started as a mini only club and has multiple classes and generally a handfull of people with stock 100s

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Unfortunately I think I missed your visit.
    Nope. Unfortunately for you, we chatted. I was checking out your deeeeeeluxe new trailer with the fancy-pants air conditioning. (My house doesn't even have AC!)

I'm the guy with the black V-Strom that rolled in around 5PM. I parked next to Joel's gigantic tonka toy.

Most of the guys running XR100s at Boxshop have upgraded to older CR front ends to get disc brakes up front.
    Okay.. I need to read up I guess. I saw several bikes with drums at both ends.

As far as pulling double duty, why won't a TTR/XR do it? I'm jumping my TTR on stock suspension already, I just happen to have a road tires mounted when I do so.
    Because of this:
    Quote Originally Posted by repete513 View Post
    The thing about wvr is there's only 1 mini class(well 2 if you count TT) and it seems like every god dam bike is BUILT.
    What I mean by 'double duty' is that the same bike could run Boxshop one weekend, then swap wheels/tires and run WVR the next. Seems like the bike to have is different for each of these venues. I say that without ever having been to Wachusett.

im sorry but im just not into spending thousands on a mini.
    Exactly the conclusion I've met. If we are talking "thousands", I'd rather have a big-bike sumo like the Low-down guys all had.

glad you made it up to boxshop, which one were you?
    See above. V-Strom, showed up late. Wandered around being nosy. BS'ed with Kerry, Bill, Joel ... and the other kid. Then headed home.

Which one were YOU?!

Hah, totally didn't click who you were. D-oh!

Off the top of my head the only machines with dual drums were Steve Baker's XR100 and Trafton Taylor's CRF70. I thought Mary Branson had a disk front on her XR100 but maybe I'm out to lunch on that?

So, looking at WVR's rules and NEMMs...

http://www.wvrclub.com/ne-dirt-track...s-classes.html
    - vs -
    http://nhf-racing.com/nemmcontent.html#C2

Get a TTR125 / XR100 / CRF125 / etc, which ever you like the most. Build it however you'd like for WVR's '100-160 air cooled 4 stroke' class. I can direct you to an evil genius who can make good power for reasonable costs without it being a grenade on any of those base motors. You'll be legal for both GP80 (pavement only class) and Aircooled at Boxshop. Depending on the build you choose you may be able to run XR100 cup and GP50. So you'd absolutely be able to have a machine do dual duty.

Having built and owned a firebreathing mini, I'll be the first to smack you for putting too much into one.

Lifer

That's me, leaving a lasting impression. We've rapped at NHMS a couple times too.

Those WVR rules may as well be written in Chinese to me. I am not at all familiar with "mini" bikes. I thought a CRF125 was a 2-smoke dirt bike!

CR125 is a two stroke, throw that 'F' into the model name with a Honda and you enter a whole new world of slow.

The CRF125 is new for this year. http://powersports.honda.com/2015/cr...big-wheel.aspx It's basically Honda's direct answer to Yamaha's TT-R 125LE like I ride. Only surprise is it's a 4 speed instead of 5 speed, not sure why.

Lifer

Thaaaats why they don't show up on CL. No new bikez fer me. Especially not for this kind of asshattery.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I was riding the yamaha #513 pitted across from the loudon dudes with the black trailer. You could probably get away with ruining a stock 150f or ttr125 at wvr and do alright but a when I rode a stock xr100 at wvr it was miserable.

Lifer

I must have walked past you 5-15 times. Wasn't there a Honda in your mix too?

Miserable as in "grin inducing, but no chance in hell of winning anything".
    Miserable as in "just no damned fun".

Yup xr100 #266. Buddy brought it just because its a long walk to the portta potty at boxshop. I guess miserable was an exaggeration. I didn't get lapped but I got smoked on the straights. Wvr isn't half as bad as masters of mini or the 4hr endurance races in at ovrp as far as "over the top modding the shit out of minis till there not even fun anymore" goes.

Is there any place I can go try out a flat-track after work on a weekday?

I might be interested in giving it a shot but I'm not sure I want to give up a weekend to do it. Spending most of my time on the asphalt track on Sat/Sun

Not looking to race, but just get out there and buzz around the track a bit.

I believe there's a track near NYST that holds flat-track races on Saturday nights, which I could do after a track day....if I had superhuman stamina that is. Maybe I could at least head over there and watch one of these weekends...

"Where are we going?...and why am I in this handbasket?"
    LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

Probibaly thinking of ether ovrp or electric city riders there bolth in ny somewhat close to mass. Ive never been to ether but I want too. I think they're both hard packed clay tracks so they would be much more suited for a motard with rains than the "cush" style dirt at wvr

Minor update, seems I was sharing links with the old domain that has now since gone kaput. http://nemm-racing.com/nemm.html should work better. Last race of the season is this weekend. There will be practice / school on Saturday for those interested with racing on Sunday. Also, anyone looking for dirt/sumo gear, Klutch Industries will be blowing out a bunch of stuff at the track as well.

Attachment 40318

A few guys I ride with are planning to race in the adult 100-160cc class on Saturday evening under the lights during the two day event September 20-21 at the Winchendon track. This is the Dave Bettencourt / Aaron Creamer double header memorial round.

The wachusett valley riders club facebook page has more info. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wachu...=page_internal

CCS/LRRS 130; JDay 77
    SeaCoast Sport Cycle | Dunlop | EBC Brakes | Vortex | Woodcraft | Armor Bodies

If I can get hooked up with a rear rain tire(coughkurloncough) ill be out there with my wr450 on 17s

I want to do this. Find me a bike semi competitive and reliable for under $1000 and I'll buy it immediately

Anything? Anyone?

Lifer

Dude. Searchtempest/CL + Ebay => done.. I think.

I don't think you can package deal this one. I think you will have to turn a wrench. I think.

But I too want in.

Lifer

Look at that.. two of them in LA alone. Suchadeal!

I wouldn't buy one if it wasn't FI. Carb(s) are a nightmare.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Josh wanna grab me one of those for round 7? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    I wouldn't buy one if it wasn't FI. Carb(s) are a nightmare.
    http://www.ecotrons.com/

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast