Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Racing and Kids/Newborns......

Racing and Kids/Newborns......

I am wondering on peoples opinions on having kids and racing. While in the paddock I see plenty of parents strap on their helmets while young ones are playing around next to campers etc....

I always get the question of whether I will stop racing when I have kids and I have to admit I am kinda stumped. Is it crazy to say I will? What if I get hurt or worse.....Is it selfish of me to want to race? I see many "parents" hoist there babies up on the podium as a tribute when the race is over.

Honestly, I was kinda hoping to introduce any child I may have to racing. My wife has friends who have been pretty brutal on this subject and I just plead the 5th.

Opinions/stories?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    AM#220

99 cbr 900 street
    02 sv 650 race

Re: Racing and Kids/Newborns......

Get good life and health insurance, and then use the kids (and wife) as reasons to prepare yourself and the bike that much more meticulously. It also probably makes me race a little smarter than I might otherwise. Once the flag waves it's out of my mind, though, I just try to keep myself and the bike in one piece and pass the guy ahead.

I haven't brought them to watch yet, would love the company but I'm easily distracted.

See you this Spring?

Last edited by brady; 01-27-12 at 09:00 PM.
    '02 SV650 street|woods|race LRRS #128

I raced last season pretty damn hard with a newborn. You just have to play the game a little smarter. This season will be much more difficult with a walking baby, as my wife is bored to tears at the track. My racing days may be numbered, but I'm at peace with life right now, so I don't care too much. I'll still race woods and do td's.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

very interesting topic indeed.. brought my gf to two track days not even racing and she was kinda bored til scottie took her out on a ride.. she loved the thrill but every time there was a flag out she would pretty much cry til she saw my bike coming back in the pits..
    shes terrified at the idea that ill be racing this season.. i know she doesnt want me to do it but she d never tell me not to.. and theres no kid in the picture for a while at least..

Quote Originally Posted by bdawkins20 View Post
    I am wondering on peoples opinions on having kids and racing. While in the paddock I see plenty of parents strap on their helmets while young ones are playing around next to campers etc....

I always get the question of whether I will stop racing when I have kids and I have to admit I am kinda stumped. Is it crazy to say I will? What if I get hurt or worse.....Is it selfish of me to want to race? I see many "parents" hoist there babies up on the podium as a tribute when the race is over.

Honestly, I was kinda hoping to introduce any child I may have to racing. My wife has friends who have been pretty brutal on this subject and I just plead the 5th.

Opinions/stories?
    Id tell your wife's friends to stfu. They arent paying to raise your kid. Bring ear protection, sun screen and food and you should be good. Plenty of people do it.

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    very interesting topic indeed.. brought my gf to two track days not even racing and she was kinda bored til scottie took her out on a ride.. she loved the thrill but every time there was a flag out she would pretty much cry til she saw my bike coming back in the pits..
    shes terrified at the idea that ill be racing this season.. i know she doesnt want me to do it but she d never tell me not to.. and theres no kid in the picture for a while at least..
    Has your gf seen that racing first hand? Its slightly different then track days. We go faster, we ride closer together, and we crash more. We also dont go to the garage and call it a day if we drop our bike. Does she know people up there? It will help. If not let me know. Ill try to talk Carrie into being a guide the first weekend if we make it up.

James

Quote Originally Posted by union View Post
    Has your gf seen that racing first hand? Its slightly different then track days. We go faster, we ride closer together, and we crash more. We also dont go to the garage and call it a day if we drop our bike. Does she know people up there? It will help. If not let me know. Ill try to talk Carrie into being a guide the first weekend if we make it up.
    that's my first year racing.. She doesn't know people.. She knew the group we went up with that's about it.. I'm not even sure if I'll want her there though! I guess we ll play that day by day. She's def trying though, she ll be coming to the open house event with me tonight and she did say if I want her there she will be there..

Well if you motorcycle at all you should now have a minimum of 2 million in term life insurance. Make sure policy does NOT have exclusions other than war (they all do) I also had a disability policy to cover being crippled

The money will help your family and Mom is 1/2 hot she can replace you and the new guy who can raise the kids. So tell her friends to make sure she works out and will go the extra mile and problem solved.

Lastly NO riding together so 1 incident can take you both out.

You need to have a life but balance with obligations. Lastly if your going to raise the kids right its hard to believe you would have the time and dollars to race

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    Make sure policy does NOT have exclusions other than war (they all do)
    This can be tricky, but when I got life insurance State Farm's requirement was that I had "no plans to start" [racing, skydiving, etc] within the next 6 months, and at that time I did not.
    Lastly NO riding together so 1 incident can take you both out.
    good point

You need to have a life but balance with obligations.
    absolutely
    Lastly if your going to raise the kids right its hard to believe you would have the time and dollars to race.
    I disagree and proved it last season, but for a younger racer/adrenaline-addict/crackhead personality it is likely harder.
    You can't let racing take "all the time and money you have, plus a little more", and you don't have to.
    "Balance with obligations" like you said.

Last edited by brady; 01-28-12 at 09:02 AM.
    '02 SV650 street|woods|race LRRS #128

Link, kids cost a lot of money, mine (Ty) still does! But they are worth it!!http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/.../icon_wink.gif
    You will have to make sacrifices no matter what BUT you won't mind doing it out of your love for them. It may or may not be racing that you give up?
    That is the money part. Now, if your thinking "is it too much of a risk" to take for them to lose their father, husband. Well the good Lord is in control of that and it could happen crossing the street and not your fault at all. Be responsible and smart (which I know you are) and let things work themselves out. I would not try to chose one over the other. You want to have kids, have them. You want to race then race. You will know if and when the time comes to make a decision and it will be easy. You will drive yourself crazy trying to figure it out before it happens.

We had our son 3 years ago, I broke my collarbone in practice and came back to race again but I knew my days were numbered.

I have converted to trackdays, it is not like i was going to get a podium and I actually have more fun at trackdays (and get more riding in too).

Sure it is nothing like racing and I am glad I raced but other than an occasional wild card entry or some for fun endurance stuff my racing days are over. Too much to lose and I just don't have "the eye of the tiger" as often anymore.

Disclaimer: I am also 41 and don't heal as quickly.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

I have a 15 week old and my wife and I have been going back and forth...I AM RACING. No doubt about that. She is only going to bring him up maybe once this season, but that's it. Being in the game for a couple seasons with my wife right next to me, she knows it's risky, but she is actually more comfortable with me on the track than on the street...Yes, sh*t happens, but it can and will happen anywhere. I am not a front runner, I don't take crazy chances...I just love the sport....It is more a money issue than safety issue for us...

Trackdays, and even club racing, are safer than street riding. And are a LOT safer in the long run than being an inert slob watching TV all day (how many of your accusers eat right, exercise, and take good care of their health?). As others said: be careful, don't take unnecessary chances, have good insurance just in case, and don't let the racing take over your life and money and cause you to neglect your family. Then you're as good as anyone else.

Being a professional racer, paid to push the envelope all the time, is somewhat more dangerous, but if that's your job, that's what you do. Like being a cop or a firefighter or a soldier, that's part of the job.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Take this for what it is, but I am a born and breed track brat. My first time on a motorcycle was in the womb when my Dad ran out of gas in Turn 1 at Summit Point. My first trip was to Bike Week Daytona when I was 6 months old. I vaguely remember terrorizing the old Bryar track on my bicycle and scouring under the bleachers for plastic cups to collect (of which we still have many). It helps that my parents first date was to Raceway Park in Englishtown, NJ so my Dad standard was set early

I would not trade my life for anything. I have been raised and grown up around some of the best people. When I try to think of a hobby cooler for my Dad to do than motorcycle racing, the list if VERY short. It has taken me all over the country and to tracks in Europe. I now race myself and see my parents often because of the racing. We are a closer family for it. Good luck!

You can take the girl outta Jersey.....

USCRA #75
    Street- 03 Suzuki SV650
    Track- 71 Honda CB350

I'm finally racing this year, and I have a wife and 4 year old. While I will give a good effort, I realize it is NOT a career for me, nor do I have visions of grandeur involving podiums,etc. as such, I won't push myself to the last percent that might get me in trouble. I ride because I love the freedom and the rush, not to make money and pickle myself into injury. Hopefully this gameplan will give me years if fun and competition with little to no incidents.

Full Tilt - Full Time Trackday Guru's Avatar

My .02:

I have 3 kids (17, 14 & 5) and they have all grown (and currently growing) up with me on a bike.

I think, for ME anyway, a couple things are just understood as far asmy riding/racing goes;

1.) I don't just do this because it's fun - I do this because it makes me who I am.

I grew up with my dad racing in the Grand National Series (now the NASCAR Busch Series), and even as a kid, although I didn't know what form of racing it would be, I knew I'd be racing SOMETHING as an adult. Thanks above it's bikes.....

and 2.) I think it's up to YOU as the parent to be responsible while you're racing on behalf of your family. I know that there are so many things we can't control while we're out there on the track, but is that a reason to not do what you love, not to be who you are, and not to live like you want to live?

I don't think so.

I have a few basic rules that as a parent, I follow when it comes to racing;

-Be as safe as possible
    -HAVE FUN
    -Not winning and being safe is more important than throwing it down the track TRYING to win and coming home seriousely injured - or not at all.
    -Involve the family so they can get an understanding of why I do what I do, and what happens at a typical race (i.e. crashing is part of it, and not altogether a injury-riddled circumstance)

Hope this helps somehow - good luck! The womenfolk can be finicky when it comes to this, so........I hope you've chosen well! LOL

Mike
    Am #124

Quote Originally Posted by Trackday Guru View Post

I have a few basic rules that as a parent, I follow when it comes to racing;

-Be as safe as possible
    -HAVE FUN
    -Not winning and being safe is more important than throwing it down the track TRYING to win and coming home seriousely injured - or not at all.
    -Involve the family so they can get an understanding of why I do what I do, and what happens at a typical race (i.e. crashing is part of it, and not altogether a injury-riddled circumstance)
    This.

I don't race, but I do stand mere feet away from cars and bike hurtling down the track with nothing but a brain bucket to protect me. My daughter does not come to the track only because no one is around to watch her during the day. We have brought her, and she enjoys it immensely, but her ability to join us depends on the job I am scheduled to do. I would also add to the above list of "personal rules" that in order to be a good parent you need to show your children that YOU matter, and that what you love to do is part of who you are. If you lose yourself in having a family, who are you to be a role model of teaching your children to follow their dreams and find happiness for themselves. Seeking happiness and enjoyment does not make you a bad parent, I would argue it makes you a good one.

ETA: My daughter's first trip to the track was when she was a month old, and her most recent was this season. We try to get her up there once a year so she can see what mommy and daddy do.

Also, the track is very family-friendly. Wander around with your family and you will undoubtedly find other kids and wives that would love to hang out during the day. Friendships can be made.

Last edited by mzdagrl; 02-08-12 at 09:11 AM.
    Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by mzdagrl View Post
    I would also add to the above list of "personal rules" that in order to be a good parent you need to show your children that YOU matter, and that what you love to do is part of who you are. If you lose yourself in having a family, who are you to be a role model of teaching your children to follow their dreams and find happiness for themselves. Seeking happiness and enjoyment does not make you a bad parent, I would argue it makes you a good one.
    THIS!!!!!
    I am also not a racer but I am a parent.
    Be true to yourself and teach your children to do the same.
    Get them involved in what you do.
    Teach them about the things you love to do.
    They may not always choose to follow in your footsteps but they will travel with you for a time.

Sam

Lifer

Don't use all the feel good personal dreams to cover up the fact that it's a dangerous thing to do. You can't close your eyes to the fact that people get hurt and die on the track, regardless of how much everyone will tell you that you can mitigate the dangers by 'not pushing'. When you line up on the grid, there's a chance you're not going home. Whether racers want to admit it or not, it's part of our game. Make sure you're comfortable with that yourself, and with your family dealing with it. With a family to consider, you shouldn't pass through that tunnel on the thought that it could never be you. It's a real risk, and anyone that's been there for long enough has seen families lose sons, fathers, and husbands.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

whoa, that went form reading a couple really nice stories, even Gadget's, to that. I better not go to work today, I might die. Thank you for pointing out the obvious.
    edit, if you lost someone I truly am sorry but hat can happen anywhere.

Last edited by timmyho414; 02-08-12 at 09:45 AM.
    Tim
    LRRS #44
    Superbike Services 44

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
    Don't use all the feel good personal dreams to cover up the fact that it's a dangerous thing to do. You can't close your eyes to the fact that people get hurt and die on the track, regardless of how much everyone will tell you that you can mitigate the dangers by 'not pushing'. When you line up on the grid, there's a chance you're not going home. Whether racers want to admit it or not, it's part of our game. Make sure you're comfortable with that yourself, and with your family dealing with it. With a family to consider, you shouldn't pass through that tunnel on the thought that it could never be you. It's a real risk, and anyone that's been there for long enough has seen families lose sons, fathers, and husbands.
    Yes it is. I am not saying it is not. But, we all take those risks every time we throw a leg over a bike, maybe even more on the street. If you are comfortable with that risk, then the touchy feely living the dream stuff IS what matters.

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyho414 View Post
    whoa, that went form reading a couple really nice stories, even Gadget's....

wait a second....what do you mean "even Gadget's..."

LOL just kidding...

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by mzdagrl View Post

Also, the track is very family-friendly. Wander around with your family and you will undoubtedly find other kids and wives that would love to hang out during the day. Friendships can be made.

I've been to a few other tracks and not counting a private event I go to at Grattan Raceway in MI every year, NHMS is by far the friendliest place. Its really just like a giant family up there.

Quote Originally Posted by tropicoz View Post
    I'm finally racing this year, and I have a wife and 4 year old. While I will give a good effort, I realize it is NOT a career for me, nor do I have visions of grandeur involving podiums,etc. as such, I won't push myself to the last percent that might get me in trouble. I ride because I love the freedom and the rush, not to make money and pickle myself into injury. Hopefully this gameplan will give me years if fun and competition with little to no incidents.
    I'm pretty much in the same situation... Except I'm just starting trackdays this year and plan to race next year. My wife and I had our son 17 months ago. Can't wait to teach him to ride.

I was up at the Penguin school last October to check it out and take some pictures and I thought it was awesome to see a bunch of kids riding their bikes and hanging out with their parents.

It is up to every individual to asses all risks in life. Be it riding a scooter down to the corner store or, taking the green flag on a race day. The question is what's good for you. As stated in some of the above posts, when you become a parent, should it change who you are and the aspirations you have in life? I think no. It should modify how you may go about life choices but, not change or cancel them. As said, how can you tell your children to "be all they can be" if you give up your dreams and hobbies in your twenties or thirties.

I always find the argument about track days vs. racing kind of funny. First off, only you, as the rider, controls the right hand. Only you control how far your willing to push your personal limits.

Because of what I do at the track, been present for almost all motorcycle track days and racing. The one thing I can tell you, without a doubt (got records to prove), more crashes and transports happen during track days than racing. Literally, sometimes there are more crashes and transports in a one day Track Day than an entire LRRS race weekend. It's my opinion that racers, as a whole, have more training and experience that result in fewer "stupid" crashes. Further, it's "Club Racing" and they want to be home on Monday for work.

LRRS really is a big extended family. No matter who you are, where you go or who you race against, there are people rooting for you, willing to help you with everything from advise to parts. Then you have all the corner marshal's, like Kiera, Rob, Timmy, Scott, Annette, KB, Gino, Gil, Jackie, Scottie, Lou, Jane, Les, etc.etc...Officials from Nancy all the way to Wanda and Tommy. Big family making sure you and your family are happy and welcome. Making sure your as safe as possible.

Is motorcycle racing dangerous? Bet your ass it is! What's the quote? "It ain't a sport unless there's a risk of death or serious injury"

My father was a stock car racer, raced boats and did a lot of crazy stuff. He died from some bad health problems. Guess what part I remember? The crazy life experiences. Not the mundane careers and health problems. How you look and live your life WILL effect how your kids live theirs. Sometimes safe is not the message you want to portrait! Live life, your kids may thank you!

" In the name of the Spedo, the Tach and the Holy Throttle, Amen. "

I wanted to race a few years ago, bought the bike, gear and most of the stuff to race with. That year there were a couple of bad accidents up at loudon.

For some reason it really made me think about why I wanted to race and having three kids at the time deep down inside I wasn't willing to take the risk of leaving my kids without a dad.

I did get the nay sayers telling me I shouldn't they were the same people telling I should get a street bike.

It all comes down to you and you alone....hopefully you'll have the support of wife/girlfriend/ baby momma...who ever.

http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.ph...&id=1185417660

Live life now!....it has an expiration date!

Friendship is like peeing in your pants,
    Everyone can see it,
    But only you can feel the true warmth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast