Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Racing and Kids/Newborns......

Lifer

Re: Racing and Kids/Newborns......

Quote Originally Posted by capt1014 View Post
    I wanted to race a few years ago, bought the bike, gear and most of the stuff to race with. That year there were a couple of bad accidents up at loudon.

For some reason it really made me think about why I wanted to race and having three kids at the time deep down inside I wasn't willing to take the risk of leaving my kids without a dad.

I did get the nay sayers telling me I shouldn't they were the same people telling I should get a street bike.

It all comes down to you and you alone....hopefully you'll have the support of wife/girlfriend/ baby momma...who ever.
    For the record, I'm not a nay sayer, I'm a realist. No one in here has mentioned the chance of death or major injury, and it does happen, and it happens at Loudon. We can say less ambulance rides racing than trackdays, but there are far more deaths racing than trackdays, and yes people have died at loudon, and more have come very close. At a trackday you cry about a bruise and take a ride, at a race you walk it off and try to fix the bike for the next race. I've made trips to the hospital to see friends that survived by a miracle, and I've donated to many families that lost loved ones. And on those days, the grids get very light, until those people thinking twice make themselves forget about it. Make the choice on your own, with all the facts. Do you want to tell your child you passed up racing for them, or do you want to have someone else tell your child you passed away racing. Though everyone here want's to tell you how wonderful it can be, they don't want to tell you about the other side of the coin.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Did my first set of track days last year, just after my son turned 1. I did quit flying Cessnas when he was born, though.

Racing obviously isn't the same thing as track days, but in every case you're either within your known limits (and taking some hit in lap time) or you're rolling the dice a little.

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

To the original post

I was keeping form voicing my option because I don't have a kid. I do have a girlfriend of almost 7 years who became very sick when I started racing two years ago. Quite literally her life depended on mine so I had a the same discussion in my head.
    I loved racing so much that if I had to stop I think I would have major metal issue from it. For me it was the only vent I had. Those weekends I was able to relax and clear my head. If I stopped because of fear of leaving her or even hurting myself to the point where I could not take care of her, would I have been in the mental state to take care of her? I don't know.
    To some people racing my not be important. For them I'm sure it an easy choice. One of my teammate stop because he had a kid. He claimed money but I bet that was not the whole story. I can't blame him, I would not blame anyone for it.
    For me, right now, its as much who I am as anything. It's what I look forward to. I love prepping the bike, making spares, the pits, the people, the racing, the feeling pulling out of the garage going down the pits, heading into 3 game on, to finishing a race to talking to whoever was around me in the race. Being at the level of concentration, constantly push yourself to do better and learn new things. It's so personally fulfilling to me. The whole thing is such an experience. Take away and I may not be the same person.

Again, I don't have a kid so it may all be null and void.

Tim
    LRRS #44
    Superbike Services 44

Quote Originally Posted by mzdagrl View Post
    This.

I don't race, but I do stand mere feet away from cars and bike hurtling down the track with nothing but a brain bucket to protect me. My daughter does not come to the track only because no one is around to watch her during the day. We have brought her, and she enjoys it immensely, but her ability to join us depends on the job I am scheduled to do. I would also add to the above list of "personal rules" that in order to be a good parent you need to show your children that YOU matter, and that what you love to do is part of who you are. If you lose yourself in having a family, who are you to be a role model of teaching your children to follow their dreams and find happiness for themselves. Seeking happiness and enjoyment does not make you a bad parent, I would argue it makes you a good one.

ETA: My daughter's first trip to the track was when she was a month old, and her most recent was this season. We try to get her up there once a year so she can see what mommy and daddy do.

Also, the track is very family-friendly. Wander around with your family and you will undoubtedly find other kids and wives that would love to hang out during the day. Friendships can be made.
    Lies.

Your daughter's first trip to (and around) the track was when she was a mere zygote!

Original

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm with awesome 100% on this. Lap for lap racing has far more crashes and far more ambulance rides than trackdays. I know I have a horse in this race but that's the simple truth. There are way way way more rider/laps done at a trackday by less experienced people do its not really apples to apples.

I quit racing when my wife and I started trying for a family. I don't judge anyone who has kids and Rae's, it's up to you. It's just not for me. Maybe a team endurance race here and there but not sprints.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    Lies.

Your daughter's first trip to (and around) the track was when she was a mere zygote!
    Funny AND true... There's a joke in there some place. Fastest girl to go from "hot Chick" to "MILF".

There are so many jokes, I just got brain freeze (i.e.- self preservation).

Cary on, those who are beyond physical abuse.

" In the name of the Spedo, the Tach and the Holy Throttle, Amen. "

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    Lies.

Quote Originally Posted by palanon View Post
    Funny AND true... There's a joke in there some place. Fastest girl to go from "hot Chick" to "MILF".

There are so many jokes, I just got brain freeze (i.e.- self preservation).

Cary on, those who are beyond physical abuse.
    Not that I need to go into specifics, but she was only one half of her future self on that day....the next day, however.....

But, if you will also remember, as soon as I knew I was preggers, the on-track stuff was put on hold until I was no longer feeding her from myself. I am looking at my first post-baby track day this year and I am psyched to get back into it. I cant tell you how many people assumed I would stop riding once I had a kid, but no one assumes that of men. I guess for the guys, it is your equivalent of what women have to deal with (but what if something happens?).

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12