Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Racing Slick

Racing Slick

Does anyone understand tires that well?
    I bought a new never mounted Pirelli SC2 rear slick on E-bay for $65. They guy did say the tire is a couple years old, but still feels soft. When I got the tire and I compared it to the new DOT SuperCorsa SC2 I have the slick is way harder then the DOT tire. I them put the slick in the sun for a while to see if it would soften up, and it did but it still wasn't as soft as the DOT tire. My question is if I put the slick on the rims and do a few laps will the tire heat up and stick to the track. I figure this might be a good tire for the GTU events because when my bike was running right I was spinning up the rear bad after about 10-12 laps coming out of turn 2 and out of turn 3.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Banned

Racing Slick

Kip, it shouls be fine. 2 years old is not too bad, depends on how it was stored. If it still looks smooth and nice and dark then you are good to go. You can't tell which tire is stickier when they are less than operating temp. What size? 165?

Degs

Racing Slick

It's a 180/55/17 and yes it's still black and shinny, but it just feels like it is hard as hell compared to the DOT SC2 tire I have?
    I put in a call to Pirelli today to ask them, and they told me someone will call me back.

Racing Slick

I got the call from Pirelli and you were right Degsy. The guy said unless I'm Colin Edwards the tire should be fine. He said the pros sometimes test on tires that are 1-2 years old.