Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Rearset adapters? - Any machinists about?

Rearset adapters? - Any machinists about?

I'm working on sorting rearsets for a friend's Triumph TT600. The OEM units are EXPENSIVE and brittle. Unfortunately they also use a bolt spacing that doesn't match anything. I've found some units across the pond that look decent but given this bike is bound to be a track mule I'd prefer something that Street and Comp will have viable spares for.

After doing some measuring, and getting a lil help from Woodcraft in comparing numbers I have two options to explore:

Opt 1 - Woodcraft 09+ R1 rearsets, ditch the included shifter and use a peg/shift lever combo from their SV650 set. The plus for this setup is the rearsets will bolt up using the inner most set of mount points. The con, I have to order a peg and lever on top of the kit.

Opt 2 - Suggested by Woodcraft, make an adapter plate so I can bolt on Suzuki units as parts for those can be had anywhere. The con... 4 bolts to hold the assembly together, and if my adapter breaks...

Either way I need to also source a shift shaft knuckle and rod, but thats easy in comparison.

So, option 2 will require a plate with 4 holes, two of them threaded. Ideally the plate should have a recess in the middle so the target Suzuki rearset doesn't stick out further from the frame than needed.

If I can supply dimensions/drawings can someone mill me out a couple adapter brackets?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Rearset adapters? - Any machinists about?

OK, just an opinion but here goes. First, it is alot more work than you can imagine to set up and mill what you are looking to do for a short run of parts. You also will probably be using a substancial piece of aluminum which won't be cheap right now. The really bad thing is you really should make a complete spare set as IF you break one you are going to be out of business. If you make it so it will break in a fall, you are out a bracket. If you make it really strong, it becomes a lever to bend your frame at the mounts (you already know that deal). Then if you break you and use your spare, you need to get the machine shop to build you more by next race. If you are going to go this route consider trying to make the symetrical so that the same apapter works on both sides. I have built adapters, but only used on the street where breaking is not almost an eventuality as it is on the track. Bottom line to me is that it is really great to know after you drop a bike at the track that you can run over to S&C or others and get everything you need to be back on the track same day. Just my 3 cents.

Miss on you pister, go back off in your own jackyard! No ,I'm dot nyxlesic!!!

Looks like my stumbling block with the R1 units is the shifter. Because the bracket uses Woodcrafts new eccentric mount pegs, they don't have a peg designed to accept a shifter like they used on older units. While I could bolt up the older style peg, loosing the adjustment options, the pegs designed to accept shift levers are notched where they go into the bracket so it wouldn't be a no-mods part.

Edit: Wait, Kawasaki 650R rearsets appear to have a shifter/peg combo that'll 'just bolt up'.

Last edited by Kurlon; 02-09-11 at 10:42 AM.

I have a set of LDL rear sets off my speed triple that I am looking to sell. I wonder if they would fit?

Mike Green
    LRRS #450 novice
    http://www.mikegreensculpture.com
    '06 svx550
    '04 cr500 af le
    '04 525 smr
    '02 660 sms
    '01 drz 450 sm streetbike
    '99 r7
    '99 sv650
    '86 rg500

There is a company that sells OEM rearsets relocator plates. I believe they sold them for about 40 bucks. I cant' remember what they are called but I can google it when I get home if you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by rg500 View Post
    I have a set of LDL rear sets off my speed triple that I am looking to sell. I wonder if they would fit?
    Unfortunately the Speed Triple uses different bolt spacing compared to the TT600/Speed Four/Daytona 600 and 650. Thanks for the thought though!

My bud had a Daytona and they are PIA to get parts for.....I have GSXR plates if you want to see if they work...

Unfortunately, bolt spacing is wrong on the GSXR units, unless I make or get someone else to make adapters for me.

Ok, been scouring the Woodcraft site for awhile now, and have a parts list that should result in a usable, bolt up and go rearset kit. Only two potential gotchas I see left are possibly having to source an R1 brake master if the Triumph unit won't fit the rearset, and finding a shift knuckle that'll fit the TT's shift shaft. Hopefully the Kawi unit Woodcraft makes for the 650R fits. Worst case I'll make out of the old shift lever.