Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Who rides with with Neck braces?

Who rides with with Neck braces?

Looking to see what others wear in addition to the required leathers and back protector when they ride? I notice a few guys ride with neck braces or air vests.

I haven't had any significant wrecks yet but am aware they are part of the game. I am pretty close to pull the trigger on one after having a conversation with a trauma nurse and her recent encounter with someone wearing all the gear but had a major neck injury.

What do you guys reccomend to wear when on the track? Does anyone wear the same when riding on the street? I saw a few that are pricey but you can't put a price on your life.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

xxaarraa

Re: Who rides with with Neck braces?

I rode with a Leatt STX RR for 3 years, till this year, when I got a Bell Star helmet. The profile of this helmet does not work with the Leatt which is a bummer.

I felt safer wearing it. I am going to get another helmet for next season and hope to start wearing the Leatt again. The brace definitely restricts movement a bit, but once you get used to it, you don't feel its there. The alternative to the neck brace is one of the air vests with inflatable neck protection.

Kurlon wears a Leatt too, ask him what he thinks of it. I know Paul_ED wears a different type of brace, I don't remember which one, he can chime in.

As for other protection, I wear a combined chest and back protector jacket and armored shorts inside my leathers.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 09-09-17 at 02:44 PM.

Lifer

I have a Leatt STX Road (not RR) brace. I ride it at track days, racing, and now for supermoto. I'm very happy with it. It's unnoticeable when riding SM. But was a bit of an issue at Loudon. I had problems with the T3-4 transition and would sometimes loose sight of the T4 apex for a moment before the transition when racing. I'm now riding a more upright naked (with bars) rather than a super sport (with clipons) and am of the opinion this will be less of an issue.

I have an Atlas for dirt/woods use. I'm afraid to admit I hardly ever wear it. It interferes with my hydration setup and I've not figured out a work around. I really should be wearing this brace there and I know it.

I don't wear any brace on the street.

I don't have any yet but I plan on getting the Leatt because I have the 5.5 bidy protector. I originally wanted to go Alpinestars but it didn't have the rib protection. This is for dirt.

Jay
    2013 gixxer 750
    2009 Ducati M1100s
    2017 KTM exc-f 350

I have a Leatt STX Road that I bought a year or two ago with the intention of using it for track days. I fiddled with it on two separate occasions, but I was unable to get it to fit properly with the hump on my suit.

It's the largest size, I'd sell it for quite a bit off MSRP if you're interested.

Talk to me matt

Ducati/MV Agusta/Kawasaki/Beta
    Boston Tier 1 Racing/ Fishtail Instructor
    DP Brakes Northeast Road Racing Representative

As noted, I wear a Leatt STX RR, I need to tweak it slightly for my new leathers as I do notice it a bit when I really have to crane my neck around, such as T6. It doesn't restrict me, but I notice I'm using more effort to look than when I run without it. I'm not ready to blame the brace though as I haven't adjusted it since getting a suit with an aero hump. On my other suits once it's on I forget it's there. I have crashed once and took a good side whack to the head while wearing it, blew my collar bone apart, not so much as a stiff neck though. I'm convinced it saved me from much more serious trauma in that crash.

I ride with an Leatt STX Road version. Have not had a sore neck after a crash since using it. (I've had few )

The neck brace is a passive protective device, but it will always be there. Whereas the airbag vests are active, in my opinion they may not aways deploy when and where you need them. Unless of course you have the $2k+ version with GPS, acceleration/deceleration sensors, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    ...I do notice it a bit when I really have to crane my neck around, such as T6. It doesn't restrict me, but I notice I'm using more effort to look than when I run without it...
    This is my feeling as well. I do feel naked, or unprotected, when I do not have it on though.

I think i might start wearing a neck brace for racing...

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2015/2016 NESR Fantasy Road Race CHAMPION

Lifer

I can't think of a lot of reasons not to wear one on track.

I'm exceptionally white, and cannot seem to jump, even on a WR450 SM. I'm trying to learn the double at Boxshop and it isn't coming naturally. Ate some rather large doses of shit this season. Also experienced sweet high-side on that thing when I thought it was a good idea to run race slicks without warmers. ... Brace has undoubtedly saved me from some pain I had coming my way.

Definitely a thumbs up bit of gear.

I'm going to try the Leatt with my dirty gear setup & hydration pack. That may be my go-to for woods riding too. It's very comfortable on an upright / dirty bike.

xxaarraa

I am definitely going to spend the money to get a different helmet next season precisely so I can start wearing my brace again. All these votes of confidence for the brace only strengthens my instinct to get back to it.

Just curious from the air vest guys. Specifically, guys who have crashed in air vests. Do those things protect the neck area just as effectively as the LEATT / comparable braces? I just think the air vests are less intrusive than rigid neck braces? I have no scientific backing to think that, just my guess.

Matt, I actually just picked up a used Leatt STX road (non-rr) before reading your comment. I definitely would have jumped on that deal. I wouldn't doubt someone else reading this thread would be interested in purchasing it.

Unfortunately my track season is over for the year so I will give it a try during some street riding just to see what to expect on Round 1 next spring. My current leathers are older and do not have a back hump so I don't foresee any interferences with it for the time being.

Peapod, How does the rig handle after crashing? I know it will only be a matter of time before I go down with it on and curious how it can stand up to crashes.

Lifer

I've crashed my Leatt several times and it shows no real signs of any damage or wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Crconnor18 View Post
    Peapod, How does the rig handle after crashing? I know it will only be a matter of time before I go down with it on and curious how it can stand up to crashes.
    I made it through quite few (6-8?) with no damage. However, I had one this year that sent me tumbling head over heels through the grass. It broke a winglet connector made of carbon fiber, and the neck brace surround backside, near the winglet. Not sure if this was from impact of my helmet to the brace, or if it was from the grass catching the brace and tearing it. Either way I was lucky enough to find replacement parts on ebay for cheap to repair it. If I had to buy the repair parts from Leatt, I would probably have just bought a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I've crashed my Leatt several times and it shows no real signs of any damage or wear.
    Same here, at least 4x.

Bill Cool --- NEMRR EX #8 --- 2023 NEMRR GTO Champion, 2020-21 LRRS LWSS Champion --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Seacoast Sport Cycle

Neck brace < Air vest < Air bag Suit

Its all a matter of how much you want to spend. And also what your comfortable with wearing.

My personal opinion is go the all in and get a suit with an air bag built in.

The neck braces work but and air bag has a much more significant level of protection to the neck and collar bone area in that you can have something that when not inflated is almost not even there and when inflated creates a larger brace than what a Leatt offers.

Downside is the air suits require a repack after use.

Air vests are user repackable and just need a new CO2 cartridge installed.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Viper897 View Post
    Downside is the air suits require a repack after use.
    Way to understate.

I can't for the life of me figure out what the upside of having a suit with built in bag is vs a bag vest. It stays marginally more put? Meh. No tether? More meh.

The vest vs brace argument I get. I see merits in both. But vest vs suit? No way. No brainer. Save a ton of $ and get the more flexible, easier to reuse option.

I guess I should clarify, if you have a Dair, not sure about astars, you have to send it in to have it repacked/repaired.

But most on here know what option I went with and we will leave that for the thread that I posted that in.

Back to the neck brace talk.