Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Rookie Race Report #1: Novice #772

Friday: Penguin School. What a long day.
    Got to see what its like to pass anywhere... thats cool. i like it. can carry a much smoother pace when i dont have to jack on the brakes to wait for a passing zone.

Saturday: Wait in line forever for license, reg and transponder. Get my number and actually made it to one of my practices. Felt ok in practice.

Rookie Race: Went well, realized that i have no idea whatsoever as to how to launch a motorcycle. Which seems dumb to me cause i know what to do... just spaced out about it and went into turn 1 dead last. Passed a bunch of people and made it to 20th place out of about 30. Rebelpacket had the most impressive launch i think i have ever witnessed.

Did the the novice motard race on sunday... i got 6th out of 10, I was in 5th right up to turn 12, coming onto the front straight for the final dash for the finish line, when an expert passed me on the outside and highsided his bike... leaving a motorcycle in the track for me to dodge. I checked up on the brakes and Joel went by me on the inside with a clean line... i just missed 5th. He is sure he had me with a good pull out of 12, me.. not so much... but i guess we'll never know for certain. When he got by me though, i got all fired up and chased him all the way down the front straight with the intention of braking late and getting him in turn 1. turn 1 came, i flew by... then the light came on... D'OH! the race is over... he isn't trying anymore.... no wonder i just flew by him so easily.

I also did the super singles race on sunday and took 4th of 4... i am going to blame it on running DOT's in the rain. (i gambled the rain would hold off... but it started coming down good just as we re-gridded, just enough to make my tires ride like ice.) We'll see if i can guess better next time on the weather. We had to re-grid on that one cause puppet went down... right in front of me on the exit of turn 2.

The next race weekend is May 12th. I plan on doing three races... LightWeight Sportsman, Motard and Super Singles.

We'll see if can get my lap times down and improve my launches for a better start.

Brent

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Quote Originally Posted by oreo_n2 View Post

We'll see if can get my lap times down and improve my launches for a better start.

Brent
    how were they? what bike were you on?

i got a KTM SMR560... best i did was a 1:33... not what i expected of myself at all.

i am a wuss in the braking zones for 3 and 11 and I find myself luggin the wrong gears a lot on that bike and getting real shitty drives out of corners. I need to learn how to ride it still... its nothing like my 450f.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

It never got fast enough rebelpacket's Avatar

I've got a six-speed tranny too, and I'm shifting ALL the time, and I still mess it up. Its weird, I downshift once for T1, and then again for 1A, to get a good drive out of 2. Its a very awkward place to shift. Your cornerspeed is stupid fast though. Every time you tip it in, you gap me. As soon as you get the gearing sorted for drives, we're gonna have some serious battles.

I'm glad I played mind games with you in the supersingles race. If you had known I was on DOT's too, I'd have to fend you off.

You going up for Friday practice next weekend?

They should call Production Twins what it really is, Shitty McBikefest. Rules for Participation: If your bike runs lower laptimes than a lawnmower, you are not eligibile for Shitty McBikefest. -Darrell

Alex Pearsall #121 ESMRA / #512 LRRS

11 isn't a braking zone on a motard!!!

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    11 isn't a braking zone on a motard!!!
    Was on mine

You sure it was a Expert that tossed it in 12? I know the guy I passed on the last lap for first dumped it in 12 doing what I assume was a bangup job of catching me. He was a Amateur thou. Highsiding a motard takes some skill!

Glad you had a 'good' first weekend. If what Pearsall says is true, you'll be honking around in no time.

Boston --> San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post
    Was on mine
    What was your laptime?

No, I understand there's some braking required for 11, but it ain't much at all. Trail the brakes enough for a downshift and throw it in. Lean angle will scrub the speed.

Paul_E_D

ooo jeeezz Paul you pulled out the 'What was your laptime' card.

BAHAHAHAHAHAH

aw I even dropped down a Smiley Face so you knew I was busting your chops.

Boston --> San Diego

Haha! you walked into that one. All meant in jest, or is that joust?

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post
    You sure it was a Expert that tossed it in 12? I know the guy I passed on the last lap for first dumped it in 12 doing what I assume was a bangup job of catching me. He was a Amateur thou. Highsiding a motard takes some skill!
    certainly could have been an amateur... happened quick, thought i saw black numbers... no idea on the background... so it would make sense if he was chasing you, cause you had passed me a little earlier coming into 10.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Haha! you walked into that one. All meant in jest, or is that joust?

well I'm on a big goofy dirtbike now so I think Joust it is!

Yea Brent that makes sense. Now that you mention the T10 thing I recall where I saw you. Think came up the outside of 9 and 'stuffed ya' before the turn for 10. Sorry bout that! Knew that guy was on my tail pissed off about the last lap pass

You had some solid corner speed thru 9 dude.

Boston --> San Diego

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

put a tail light and some DOTs on it and take it to the dragstrip to practice your starts.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports