Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

rookie season wrap up

rookie season wrap up

I'll be posting up a long post rookie season report at somepoint, but for ow, the oct. weekend.

I got up to the track thursday morning at 2:20am, slept in the trailer for 5 hours and got up for practice. Had a great morning of practice, felt comfortable. I went right to work on my problem areas. Started feeling good with those, but started having some shifting issues in turns 1 and 3 (come to find out later, loose rearset). After a 1:28 laptime from a misshift in 3, I turned a 1:22.69 ... didn't even know it until I saw what my best lap was two laps later! I was so excited. I tried like hell to see it again, but never saw anything below a low 24 that day. I was disappointed, because 1 .22 means very little to me, except that I have the potential, but its not where i am at. I had 8 sessions that day though, so I got a TON of laps in. Some sessions were 15 or so laps.

I did practice on Friday, 3 sessions, felt good. Continued to work on the areas from Thursday and just working on more throttle in certain sections. Still stuck in the low 24s though.

Saturday morning arrives, its cold as anything, but I get all set and go out for first AM/EX Red Practice. I was 1 of 8-10 people on the track, and felt REALLY good for first think in the morning, plus the cold track. I was in the 30s, but I had just mounted new tires and just wanted to get them scrubbed in ... mentally and physically I felt GREAT. My 2nd session was even better, and was up to my race pace of 24s.

GTO
    Got a good start and was ahead of Geno going into turn 1. My goal for this race was to beat Geno (343), my year long rival, who is also my good friend and pit buddy. I beat him the first half of the year, then when we got to AM, he put the whooping on me. I was glad to be in front and held that for a couple laps, then sure enough, lap 3 or 4, he passes me going into 6 (again). I put my head down and stay with him. I was getting a great drive out of 2, and would catch him in 3, then it became a braking match in the turn 3 chute. It was awesome! I would push my brake marker further and further eachtime. I never saw a 1/2 way sign for the race, so I had no idea how much longer we had. I knew my legs were killing me, I had the worst dry mouth, and I didn't know how much longer I could keep up the pace.

We came into turn 3 side by side once again and I broke VERY late (2nd cone or so), but I couldn't make it stick, I ran wide and he ducked on the inside. I got the bike pointed up the hill and was able to keep pace. When came into 6, I took the inside line that peter kates showed me, broke late and made the pass on the inside (moral victory). We come around to the front straight to see the last lap flag (thank god), and I knew I just had to hold him off. Which I was able to do. I knew we were just going really well out there and it felt GREAT!

I came back in to some great news, I had offically met my goals that I set for myself for the weekend. I ran a 21 (two actually) and ran consistently in the 22s, and ran a 23.9 for my 2nd lap (fastest race lap ever was a 23.8)! I was so excited! I even netted a 3rd place and got my first trophy!

Here is a great picture that Tim took from that race of Geno and myself:

MWSS
    Got a bad start, then got swamped in turn 1 and 1a. Like Mark had mentioned, in AM you give an inch, or hesitate at all, someone will be there to take that spot from you. Geno was now 5 bikes ahead of me, and I knew I had a lot of work to do. I put my head down and started picking off the riders in front of me, which I was able to do. It took longer than I would have liked, but finally by lap 4 he was my next target and I just hit my marks. I knew where I could gain ground so I used that to my advantage. Lap 6, I ended up being 1 second behind him on the front straight and was on his tail in turn 3. We headed up 4, through 6 (my plan was to take him in 11) and as we go through 8 the red flag flew ... that was it. End of race )=

Tim got this picture from one of the opening laps ... this is one for the wall:

HWSB
    With Geno not being in this one, I'm not as excited about it, but I still am looking forward to it. Its my last race of 2006 and I just want to ride well and end on a good note. I get another so so start. I stayed with the front pack for an entire lap, which I have not done before, and it felt great. Soon enough they were gone and three of us where left in the middle. I spent a lap getting by the first guy, then then went chased down the other guy. I caught him pretty quickly, but he was all over the place and not easy to pass. At one point we came over the turn 5 hill, he was far right and landed in the grass going down the hill, he was bouncing all over the place, dirting being kicked up, but he managed to stay on the bike and not lose a beat (don't ask me how). I followed him around the course, and we came into 3 side by side, I hit the brakes late and JUST got the inside line and turned in, hit the thottle and headed for 4 when I heard the sound of a crashing bike, I turn my head alittle, see a bike, but just powered up 4 waiting to see the red flag. The red flag finally flew when I got to turn 11, end of race.

Coming into the pits I was greeting by my girlfriend, and the rest of my family who just looked like they saw a ghost. They said that the guy highsided himself trying to repass me on the inside and that from their angle, looked like the bike was going to hit me.

I felt good that race, but really felt like I was being held up, and wished I could have gotten by guys sooner. I still ran well, got an 8th place, and ran 23s with a single 22.

I was bummed that my last two races ended in red flags, but such is racing ... and we all know I have caused a few myself, so I can't complain.
    --------------------------------------------

SPECIAL THANKS

This was by far the most amazing summer I have ever had. I am so fortunate to have Erin be so supportive, there every weekend, rain or shine working with me, and cheering for me ... even having to be there for me after that dreeded July weekend. You are the best Erin! Love you!

It was great having my parents and grandparents up for the last weekend and got to see me doing what I love to do.

A big thanks to Tony, Ken C, Paul, and Graham. All the time you have spent helping me to become a better rider is greatly appriciated! You guys are the best!

Thanks to Peter Kates for taking my money at the start of the season (=, but also for being a constant resource at the races for any questions I had, or rearsets that needed to be straightened. I'll be seeing you this winter.

Thanks to Jes for the plaque she made me! It was a great surprise!

Geno, Mark, Mike ... thank you for helping this Rookie out at the start of the year! You guys are great! You helped me through some of the hardest moments of the season for me. I appriciate it. Justin, Neal and Aaron, congrats getting into racing this season, and I can't wait to see what you guys are going to do when a full season is ahead of you.

Is it April yet?!?!??!?!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

rookie season wrap up

That picture with the 3 bikes going into the turn is SICK.

rookie season wrap up

That three-wide pic is the shit!

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

rookie season wrap up

Good Job
    That pic is really sweet!

Chris
    LRRS Expert #160

Just Registered

rookie season wrap up

yeah, that pic came out pretty good...

awesome racing Jamie!

rookie season wrap up

Originally posted by Daytona440
    yeah, that pic came out pretty good...

awesome racing Jamie!
    Thanks for taking it!!

racing is what this last half of the season has been all about for me. Its where the fun has been. First half of the season I spent alot of time alone on the track not racing anyone but myself ... but this 2nd half I was running with 5-6 guys and we just battled in every race since August. Its been spectacular to be apart of, and I hear its been fun to see as well.

Mentally I feel like I am just wamring up ... physically ... i'm pretty beat. I can't wait until April though!

rookie season wrap up

That pic is awesome!

2003 Yamaha R6
    1999 Yamaha YZ400

I kick hippies...and Kham Nikon's Avatar

rookie season wrap up

Good job sax. That second pic of the 3 lined up is AWESOME.

Bras cause cancer.