Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Leatt & air vests - do they play nice?

xxaarraa

Leatt & air vests - do they play nice?

I am a track day rider and currently wear a chest protector, back protector under my suit and a Leatt STX RR over my suit for neck protection. After 3-4 days of hard grind, I think I am finally getting used to the restricted range of motion with the Leatt.

I now see that air vests are becoming more mainstream on the track scene. I wouldn't mind adding more protection if I can. But anyone know if the Spidi or Hit Air vests play nice with the Leatt neck brace? They all seem to have a neck air bag that seems like it would intefere with a neck brace.

I emailed both Leatt and Hit Air, but wanted to ask for feedback here too.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by xxaarraa; 09-15-14 at 12:20 PM.

Re: Leatt & air vests - do they play nice?

Are you sure you have your Leatt adjusted properly? With mine it didn't restrict my range of motion, but it would 'squeak' when I cranked my head back fully, say looking up into 7 as I'm dropping into 6.

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Are you sure you have your Leatt adjusted properly? With mine it didn't restrict my range of motion, but it would 'squeak' when I cranked my head back fully, say looking up into 7 as I'm dropping into 6.
    I am still fiddling with the adjustment - removed the height adjustor pads and loosened the straps and the fit is getting better. I hear some users removing the straps altogether, and vendor confirmed that is OK to do. Leatt themselves say it could restrict movement up to 30% - curious if you just got used to the new range of motion or if it really does not get in the way at all.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 09-15-14 at 12:20 PM.

I'm say a little from column A, a lil from column B. I don't have the best flexibility in the world, and I've gotten used to leathers plus external Icon field armor vest so I'm a lil chocked up even before the brace. I rode for a couple weekends with the underside shoulder pads in place, then noted one went AWOL during a race. I pulled the other to even it up, verified I was within the acceptable height ranges and ran with it. I also run my straps full loose. I pretty much forget it's there once on, other than the occasional squeak as noted.

Lifer

Kurlon, which brace do you have? The Road/R or RR?

STX RR

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

xxaarraa
    Heard from hit air -

Dear so and so,

Thank you for your interest in our airbag product.

Unfortunately, all our products have the neck airbag and we haven't
    confirmed usability of the airbag with the neck brace.
    We're sorry that we cannot meet your request.

Best regards,

Shingo Takeuchi

I would think the two combined would be redundant, and possibly interfere (note: totally uneducated / lacking firsthand experienced opinion with either product). One's a neck brace, one's a neck airbag. Like wearing two sets of gloves?

Bill Cool --- NEMRR EX #8 --- 2023 NEMRR GTO Champion, 2020-21 LRRS LWSS Champion --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Seacoast Sport Cycle

xxaarraa

Received a response from Leatt as well - case closed, there don't seem to be models of the vest without neck air bags that work with the Leatt.

We have not done any testing with the Hit Air or Spidi vets. You may want to contact them. The STX RR is made to work with suits with an aero hump. The straps are optional and do not have to be used with the neck brace. It is a personal preference.

xxaarraa
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    I'm say a little from column A, a lil from column B. I don't have the best flexibility in the world, and I've gotten used to leathers plus external Icon field armor vest so I'm a lil chocked up even before the brace. I rode for a couple weekends with the underside shoulder pads in place, then noted one went AWOL during a race. I pulled the other to even it up, verified I was within the acceptable height ranges and ran with it. I also run my straps full loose. I pretty much forget it's there once on, other than the occasional squeak as noted.
    I removed the straps and very happy to report the brace is completely non-intrusive now. Can hardly tell it's in, even in hair pin turns.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 09-21-14 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
    I removed the straps and very happy to report the brace is completely non-intrusive now. Can hardly tell it's in, even in hair pin turns.
    Forget hair pin turns....I heard somewhere that the braces interfere with otherwise EXTREMELY EASY left-hand turns at half-pace during pit-in.

....can you speak to that???

"Where are we going?...and why am I in this handbasket?"
    LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by Ductard View Post
    Forget hair pin turns....I heard somewhere that the braces interfere with otherwise EXTREMELY EASY left-hand turns at half-pace during pit-in.

....can you speak to that???
    I can neither confirm nor deny these allegations. All I can say is that spectators on the hill in front of 18 need to be outlawed.

I tried my new Spidi DPS air bag vest yesterday at Thompson. I bought an XL (I'm 6 feet 180lbs) and it fits good over my suit. Lots of adjustability in the vest so it snugs up nice and tight; I also bought the Spidi Warrior back insert (it already comes with the chest plate). I'm happy with it, it's overpriced IMO ($450) but most motorcycle gear is always like that.....Hopefully I never get to experience having the unit inflate. Lol......unless of course I walk away from the bike in the pits without disconnecting the lanyard first! Like Phil was telling me about his accidental inflation experience at VIR....

[SIGPIhttp://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic8737_4.gifC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by South of Heaven View Post
    I tried my new Spidi DPS air bag vest yesterday at Thompson. I bought an XL (I'm 6 feet 180lbs) and it fits good over my suit. Lots of adjustability in the vest so it snugs up nice and tight; I also bought the Spidi Warrior back insert (it already comes with the chest plate). I'm happy with it, it's overpriced IMO ($450) but most motorcycle gear is always like that.....Hopefully I never get to experience having the unit inflate. Lol......unless of course I walk away from the bike in the pits without disconnecting the lanyard first! Like Phil was telling me about his accidental inflation experience at VIR....
    Doesn't it take like 80 lbs of force to trigger the lanyard switch?

LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

Doesn't it take like 80 lbs of force to trigger the lanyard switch?
    Well the owners manuals says 25kg (so roughly 55lbs?). I think its pretty sensitive; it's just a simple buckle on the lanyard. Getting off the bike and walking away without disconnecting will more than likely trip it. Lol. I was thinking of putting a little reminder on my steering stabilizer yesterday but after a session or two I got into the routine of disconnecting.

Leatt & air vests - do they play nice?-photo-1-1-jpg

Leatt & air vests - do they play nice?-photo-2-1-jpg

[SIGPIhttp://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic8737_4.gifC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by South of Heaven View Post
    Well the owners manuals says 25kg (so roughly 55lbs?). I think its pretty sensitive; it's just a simple buckle on the lanyard. Getting off the bike and walking away without disconnecting will more than likely trip it. Lol. I was thinking of putting a little reminder on my steering stabilizer yesterday but after a session or two I got into the routine of disconnecting.
    I guess that's not too bad as long as you can re-load it yourself and all it would cost you is a little shame in the pits (I have yet to crash my gixxer, but I've dropped it off the stand half a dozen times in the paddock, so I have none left anyways) ....instead of having to send it in, which would undoubtedly be big $$

I knew guys that have water actuated inflatable PFD's.....I think it's a big $ deal if one of those gets tripped...and car airbags? Fuggeddaboutit....

LRRS 919

I guess that's not too bad as long as you can re-load it yourself and all it would cost you is a little shame in the pits (I have yet to crash my gixxer, but I've dropped it off the stand half a dozen times in the paddock, so I have none left anyways) ....instead of having to send it in, which would undoubtedly be big $$

I knew guys that have water actuated inflatable PFD's.....I think it's a big $ deal if one of those gets tripped...and car airbags? Fuggeddaboutit....
    Yes, it's able to be re-packed and CO2 cartridges are dirt cheap (I have a spare in my toolbox).....I really hope I never have to use that spare cartridge though. For many reasons!