Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

RULES FOR BEGINNING RACERS (experienced racers too)

aka Johnny Valve Stem need4speed's Avatar

Borrowed from 1888 Fastlap.com

These rules will absolutely make your racing experience much better. Read them, believe them, live by them.

1. Never, never lend your race bike to a friend, brother, cousin, etc. They will crash it, you will pay for it.

2. Trust the buddy helping you prepare your racebike with things that will not cause you to end up on your head. Brakes and clip-on pinch bolts do not fall into that category.

3. If there is even a .001% chance the temperature will drop below freezing overnight, and your race bike (with no antifreeze, of course) will be outside at the track or at the hotel, drain your radiator AND water pump. If you don't, the percentage chance of sub freezing temperatures will jump to 100%

4. Never do a 24 hour endurance race at Nelson Ledges in the rain.

5. Check your tire air pressure more often than you do.

6. Do not attempt to save money by using cheap chains. Have you ever been hard in the gas in a long sweeper with 8 guys right on your tail, the chain breaks and suddenly you have no more forward drive but the other 8 guys right behind you still do? Have you ever had a broken chain get under your tire in a 110mph turn?

7. Buy the good tires. How much did you save with the cheap tires if you fall down just one time because you bought the cheap tires? Cheap tires, or using good tires past a certain point, is simply a false economy. It will cost you more.

8. You are riding nearly out of control, thinking you are going so fast that no one could possibly pass you, and then somebody rolls around you on the outside of the turn while waving to you with one hand off the bar! This a subtle indicator that you need to find someone better than yourself to help set up your bike.
    9. You can almost NEVER brake hard enough and quickly enough to avoid a crash that happens directly in front of you. Pick left or right, right now - it is your best chance to avoid another trip to the parts counter at your favorite shop.

10. Always find someone just a little faster than you to chase in your practice sessions. This is the best way I know to drop your lap times faster than your buddies are dropping their lap times
    11. Never forget rule #1

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    John
    LRRS\CCS #714
    2004 Duc 620 monster racebike
    89 EX500 racebike - sold
    98 Superhawk 996

"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge it, requires brains".

Peopel tell me all the time they believe in #7, and then they tell me they are considering Maxxis.

Putting his hands in the air, like he just doesn't care.
    Check out my eBay store!
    Dave - Motorace - Michelin

Exclamation RULES FOR BEGINNING RACERS (experienced racers too)

These people had some really good deals in december when they moved their shop over to another building. I got a leather jacket from them at 65% off list price. No pants that fit me yet ... waiting for spring inventory to come in.

As for #7, Michelin does not have to advertise ... sooner or later they will come around. Every time that I bought something else I was always comparing it to Michelin and always came back to it.
    May not be the cheapest tire out there but I always got value for my money. LTX truck tires are a good example.

Lifer

rule number 10 is an important one. get advice from someone doing a couple seconds better than you, not from the fastest guy that you can convince to talk to you.l

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

My fastest times in a car are always when chasing a leader for sure.

You drop two seconds and it doesn't even feel like your going any faster than before.

Putting his hands in the air, like he just doesn't care.
    Check out my eBay store!
    Dave - Motorace - Michelin

Originally posted by Karaya One
    Peopel tell me all the time they believe in #7, and then they tell me they are considering Maxxis.

HAHAHA BURN on maxxis.

nice post tho, good rules.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

thought id revive this one. #10 will be easier with the new practice schedule

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Lifer

Rule #11 - If you lend your friend parts don't expect to be paid for them or to get them back when you ask for them or even when you need them. No matter how many times you ask.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?