Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Safety wiring question

Safety wiring question

All right so I got me a new to me race bike. '13 636 and have a couple of questions about safety wiring on it.

Can I just just flip the rear axle so then the nut is on the right side and I can safety wire the caliper bolt to the axle safety pin?

On the front. Is that correct safety wiring? Also, do I need to safety wire the left side to anything?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Safety wiring question-img_0657-jpg   Safety wiring question-img_0658-jpg   Safety wiring question-img_0659-jpg  

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

CCS #31

Re: Safety wiring question

Just safety wire the two bolts to themselves on the rear caliper. Leave the axle the way it is.

Can't tell in the picture, but is there just pinch bolts on the right fork? If so, your all set on the left. You should run your safety wire from the pinch bolts to a hole in the axle bolt, though. Not the spool slider.

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

Well that bottom bolt on the rear is is not the caliper, it's for the TC sensor, but I guess I can drill it and safety wire to it

No pinch bolts on the left side.

And I'll have to figure something for the front axle

CCS #31

Hmm, just looked at the picture of the rear caliper again. I think your all set. The bolt is set in and has a clip on the otherside if I remember right.

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

I hate seeing calipers 'wired' like that, those clips and length of wire aren't doing a damn thing for you, and you may get called out on it by tech.

On the fork, technically your pinch bolts satisfy the secondary securing method of the axle on that side, so you don't actually need wire there. If you are going to wire to the slider, as noted there is a dedicated hole in the slider for that job, you don't wire to the quick pin like you are now.

On the other side, does the axle thread right into the fork, or is there a nut under the slider? If there is a nut, you'll want to wire it.

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

Just wire the 2 pinch bolts to each other and gtg

https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

This is what I got
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Safety wiring question-img_0669-jpg   Safety wiring question-img_0670-jpg   Safety wiring question-img_0671-jpg  

CCS #31

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    I hate seeing calipers 'wired' like that, those clips and length of wire aren't doing a damn thing for you, and you may get called out on it by tech.

On the fork, technically your pinch bolts satisfy the secondary securing method of the axle on that side, so you don't actually need wire there. If you are going to wire to the slider, as noted there is a dedicated hole in the slider for that job, you don't wire to the quick pin like you are now.

On the other side, does the axle thread right into the fork, or is there a nut under the slider? If there is a nut, you'll want to wire it.
    Are you saying that, technically, I don't need safety wiring on the pinch bolts and axle at all added to what it already has?

CCS #31

Correct, on the pinch bolt side, the pinch bolts count as your secondary means of keeping the axle from rotating. I'm still going to wire mine 'cause it's not exactly difficult, but you don't technically need to do so.

As will I, but good to know it doesn't "need" it. So the front f left alone is all set with the caps.

What about the rear. Do I need any wiring?

CCS #31

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    I hate seeing calipers 'wired' like that, those clips and length of wire aren't doing a damn thing for you
    I assume you are referring to the clip method? If he put the top pin through the other way, then the bolts would be getting pulled in the correct direction. They are not really being pulled, but if they broke loose, they would only be able to move about 1/8th of a turn - which would have no affect on braking ability.

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

For the rear axle, just drill the nut, and then wire it to the adjuster bolt.(wrap it around the bolt, then wire it to the axle. Easy.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    For the rear axle, just drill the nut, and then wire it to the adjuster bolt.(wrap it around the bolt, then wire it to the axle. Easy.
    The axle has a safety pin on its nut. I'm referring to the caliper bolt. It's almost flush and an allen. Does it need to be safety wired? And if it does, I was thinking flipping the axle so the nut is on the right side and I can safety wire the safety pin to that one bolt, it's a locking safety not not a cotter pin

CCS #31