Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

School me on contingencies

School me on contingencies

I know there is a lot of fuss about contingencies, and there is probably a reason Ian had a bunch of stickers on the bodywork I bought from him. That is about all I know. What is the deal? When I hear folks referring to their sponsors, are they referring to contingencies or something different?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: School me on contingencies

All of the above, really.
    You must run the advertisement, fill out the appropriate paperwork, and stay on top of it.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

All sponsors require diff things...each is differnt

Try Vortex first....they are open for applications

it all depends what you're looking for.
    you really have to do your homework on these and determine if it's worth it to you.

vortex gives credits for top 3 finishers in the SS classes, but requires their sprockets and big decals on the swingarm, listed as a sponsor on your results sheet, and wants a sponsorship agreement with requires monthly newsletters and patches on your leathers. the vortex credits expire 3 months after they're notified from CCS of your results. they dont mail you certs, or notify you when you get them or when they expire.

pitbull has contingency but now requires you to use their sprockets and steering damper. so if you go with pitbull, then you're not able to use Vortex for contingency.

every tire manufacturer pays contingency except Pirelli, and I'm not getting into that shit show about why.

you really just have to look into what products you want to use, what their terms are, and determine if it's worth it to you.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Every single contingency by CCS is useless to me so far.
    I will actually post most of my certs here soon.

I use other brakes. I use Vortex sprockets but as Jim said they don't notify you and they expire.

I would chase sponsorships instead.

Also depends on what you're looking for? I don't have my race license nor have I had competitive times.

I have marketed myself and my extensive build (probably more set up than most race bikes) and I got hooked up with major companies. I got smoking deals and percentages off products from dynojet, riders discount, moto-d, techspec, and few others.

Just ask and position yourself like someone who can get them publicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    When I hear folks referring to their sponsors, are they referring to contingencies or something different?
    Contingency = specific money or merchandise certs/credits you are promised contingent on your finishing position in a race while using a sponsor's product. The qualifying finishing position(s) and race(s) vary greatly and are determined by the specific company offering the contingency. Sandy at tech is a big help with this, will agreeably nag you into complying with the various contingency requirements. As Jim mentioned, there is usually paperwork involved (see Sandy), very specific sticker and sponsor declaration requirements, and often nagging via phone and email to get what was promised, sometimes successfully. It may or may not be worth your effort depending on the time required to chase down delays and missing certs. Tires are almost always worth the effort.

A Sponsor agrees to support you financially or with product discounts in exchange for running their stickers and whatever else you both agree to. This may or may not involve contingency rewards.

'02 SV650 street|woods|race LRRS #128

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sidavong View Post
    Also depends on what you're looking for? I don't have my race license nor have I had competitive times.

I have marketed myself and my extensive build (probably more set up than most race bikes) and I got hooked up with major companies. I got smoking deals and percentages off products from dynojet, riders discount, moto-d, techspec, and few others.

Just ask and position yourself like someone who can get them publicity.
    From a guy with 45 posts, no sponsors listed to his name, and no clue about what this mysterious build is. Do you actually follow through and gain your sponsors publicity, as is required by your agreement with them, or do you just take their products and ignore your side of the arrangement?

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    Contingency = specific money or merchandise certs/credits you are promised contingent on your finishing position in a race while using a sponsor's product. The qualifying finishing position(s) and race(s) vary greatly and are determined by the specific company offering the contingency. Sandy at tech is a big help with this, will agreeably nag you into complying with the various contingency requirements. As Jim mentioned, there is usually paperwork involved (see Sandy), very specific sticker and sponsor declaration requirements, and often nagging via phone and email to get what was promised, sometimes successfully. It may or may not be worth your effort depending on the time required to chase down delays and missing certs. Tires are almost always worth the effort.

A Sponsor agrees to support you financially or with product discounts in exchange for running their stickers and whatever else you both agree to. This may or may not involve contingency rewards.
    Thank you for saving me the trouble of typing all that out, Brady =)

So I need paperwork, stickers, and podiums for contingencies, and basic people-skills/willingness to self-promote for sponsorships? I think I see the more likely option for a shy introvert.

tires is the only contingency that's worth it.

i know VP gives a $25 credit per weekend towards their cans that cost $60 - $150. That alone would make me use Sunoco. They dont even give enough for a free can when most are using more than that per weekend.

EX 105

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    tires is the only contingency that's worth it.

i know VP gives a $25 credit per weekend towards their cans that cost $60 - $150. That alone would make me use Sunoco. They dont even give enough for a free can when most are using more than that per weekend.
    Hmm. Good to know. Didn't know VP had contingency. I'll be hitting that up for next year.

Is there a list of all contingencies available somewhere?

Last edited by csmutty; 10-22-14 at 03:18 PM.
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Is there a list of all contingencies available somewhere?
    Click here if you like dressing like a hot chick

EX 105

Thanks Jim. Looking to max that shit out for next year.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

[QUOTE=PainfullySlow;1383666]From a guy with 45 posts, no sponsors listed to his name, and no clue about what this mysterious build is. Do you actually follow through and gain your sponsors publicity, as is required by your agreement with them, or do you just take their products and ignore your side of the arrangement?
    QUOTE]

Ouch. First off, this is a fucking new account from my older one across all forums hence the limited 45 posts. My agreement with these companies was to highlight their assistance during my bike build and use my influence on the r6 forum to spread the word. I never overpromised as I wasn't sure what that future would comprise of.

In addition, I'd like to think that paying out of pocket to have my custom stickers made with their logos is me holding up a piece of my part of the "agreement" (which was publicity for their % off). My build was on the r6 forum from many many years back when I started this little project. Perhaps my level of "sponsorship" pales in comparison of your racer profile and publicity but I was transparent in what commitments came from my side of the arrangement. I'm confident that it was peanuts compared to what you get but for someone at my level, just getting responses back from these corporations was a major achievement. The fact they wanted to help in any shape or form shows how much they are willing to help the a

Yes, I could do a better job of representing them by putting them in my current sig but please keep in mind I also haven't asked them for anything in a couple of years. This in no way takes away my appreciation of them. Do I make an active effort to upsell them during conversations? Of course.

My point in posting today wasn't to brag about getting xxx from this company but more so to highlight that you don't need to be a "proven" racer to get help from these companies.

oh and here's my mysterious build! Let me know if I am screwing over these generous companies by not holding up my end of deal from two years ago.

06 R6 Track Build : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum
    My $700 track bike build - Band Of Riders

Current mods to my 06 r6 (10/22/2014)

Custom Flashed ECU

Dynojet PCIII

Dynojet Ignition Module (Dynojet Rider Support)

Dynojet Quick Shifter (Dynojet rider support) had to utilize a new rod from woodcraft specifically for their Rearsets

Custom Map by DYNO SOLUTIONS

Engine refresh and valve adjustment as well as neck bearings replaced (Support by Hornet Powersports)

Graves Cam Chain Tension Adjuster

Block Off Plates (Provided by Agg Racing)

BMC Race Filter

09 Gold forks setup with Penske 20mm valving (Setup by GMD computrack originally but refreshed recently by Advanced Traction)

09 lower triple for more flex

Preload Adjusters (Courtesy of D2Cycles)

Penske Triple Clicker 8987 with remote reservoir setup (Refreshed and managed by Advanced Traction)

Woodcraft Rearsets (GP Shift requiring a pull style QS sensor)

MotionPro Quick Turn Throttle (Riders Discount Rider Support)

Ohlins Steering damper

Custom ’05 header swap to allow for more free flowing exhaust and removal of factory muffler

Custom One of Kind High mount Midpipe with custom mounted carbon fiber heel guard

Leo Vince Evo II Carbon Exhaust Can

Custom made Exhaust slider (Courtesy of Justin Landry)

Custom exup delete mod (r6 forum mod)

Custom radiator guard (r6 forum mod)

520 conversion kit -1/+2 Renthal sprockets with DID ERV3 Chain

Zero Gravity Clear but painted area for number plate on Windscreen(Track)

Hotbodies Smoke Double Bubble Windscreen(Street)

Vortex Mirror Blockoffs

Shorty Clutch Lever (Courtesy of 434 Racer)

Brembo RCS adjustable master with folding lever (Riders Discount rider support)

SBS Dual Carbon Pads (Manchester Honda rider support)

Braking Floating Wave front Rotors

Braking Lightened Wave rear rotor

Galfer Superbike Kevlar brake lines with Gold Banjo

Goodrich Speed Bleeders

Removed OEM Rear Brake reservoir with the SBK Reservoir Kit (Provided by Agg Racing)

Replaced lines of Front reservoir with tygon tubing

Woodcraft 50mm clip-ons

Renthal Kevlar grips (Manchester Honda Rider Support)

90 Degree Italian Valve Stems (Provided by Agg Racing)

ETI Fuel Tank Sliders (Provided by Agg Racing)

TechSpec Snakeskin (TechSpec Rider Support)

Moto-r case covers

Graves clutch slider

Woodcraft Frame Sliders

R&G Racing Fork Sliders

Motovation Swingarm Sliders

Driven Axle Block Sliders

Running Pirelli Supercorsas on the Street/racing as DOT’s and Pirelli Trackday Pro Slicks for track

Currently running Sharkskin bodywork and Armorbodies SB and SS tail (Courtesy of Bauce Racing).

Dzus Fasteners (Factory Bodyworks Support)

Running a custom Armour Bodies Kevlar SuperSport Tail that has been cut for an Integrated Signal Tail light for the Street

Gregs Flushmounts turn signals

Titanium ProBolt axle nuts and rotor bolts

Fully drilled and safety wired (Rider Support from Pegasus Fasteners)

Custom Graphics (Rider Support from NGK Designs)

Dual temp warmers and Warm weather Undersuit (Rider Support from Moto-D)

Kobe XPro Leathers (Rider Support from Kobe)

Last edited by Sidavong; 10-22-14 at 03:51 PM.

Looks like a standard race bike build minus a quick shifter.

EX 105

So 434 racer gave you a clutch lever and then busted your balls publicly? That's a great agreement. I'll market myself for public ridicule regularly now.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.