Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Who are your sponsors and why?

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Who are your sponsors and why?

Just curious. I'm trying to offset some of the cost of racing for 2011. I've sent out a dozen or so letters with my resume, with the intention of sending more. Just wanted to get an idea of types of sponsors I may have missed.

I've written to parts manufacturers, a local motorcycle dealership, online parts distributors, lubricant manufacturers, etc . . .

So far, I have received one yes and one no.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Re: Who are your sponsors and why?

Bridgestone is the most generous for me. Earned quite a few new tires with them. So they are my contingency sponsor.

having the right contacts is what it's all about... and a good resume, with something to offer the sponsors.

dont be afraid to look outside the mc industry.

motorcycle stands makers, tire warmer companies, car dealerships, lawn care, u name it companies that you or your friends might know personally may pitch it, even a lil' bit goes a long way. Good luck.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (HTC EVO "DROID" : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

You need to have something to offer them. Like the possibility of business through their door especially if you're going outside the industry.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    Wirelessly posted (HTC EVO "DROID" : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

You need to have something to offer them. Like the possibility of business through their door especially if you're going outside the industry.
    Above: Alot of times that is VERY hard to produce. Real Return on Investment for an outside the industry sponsor ... thats why its so hard to find them.

Some "in-industry" companies will offer you a discount. But be careful on taking deals that offer "dealer cost" or discounts off of retail as it devalues yourself to sponsors that maybe willing to give you product.

For example, If brand XYZ gives you dealer cost on oil but Joes Brake Pad Company offers you free product, Joe's should get a bigger amount of reconigition for there support than the company that offers you a lesser value of sponsorship. Especially if you have a local shop that supports you with a discount on products (XYZ Oil?).

Its a fine line, as EVERYONE requires sponsor decals & list as sponsor on results. But sometiems you have to look at the what the deal is to figure out if it is really worth it.

I ran into this a few years ago and finally realized I was devauleing the product sponsors I had with a few minor deals that I currently involved with.

Just my 2cents.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Thanks scottie.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

"Some "in-industry" companies will offer you a discount. But be careful on taking deals that offer "dealer cost" or discounts off of retail as it devalues yourself to sponsors that maybe willing to give you product."

Very true. A good way to offset this is to offer your biggest sponsor the biggest decals/stickers spot on the bike and more return, as in recognition, for their larger support. Maybe the biggest decals on the bike and trailer, some nice glossy photos, a couple of weekend passes etc. depending on the level of support you receive.
    The smaller sponsors would basically get smaller everything. And hey, if they want the bigger area on the bike/trailer then they'd have to step up and beat out the other sponsors. This way no one devalues your support.
    Like Scottie says, bigger sponsors should get more recognition for sure. And you don't have to be an expert by any means, a lot of it is just about marketing yourself well.

Last edited by Slowpoke387; 11-12-10 at 09:34 AM.
    LRRS #387

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Great stuff from everyone. Thanks. It's just what I'm looking for.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

We get quite a few sponsorship requests from people and deal with them as budget allows if we feel there is merit in the request.

We can tell you what matters to us as a local company involved in motorcycling.

We are not sponsoring an AMA team here, so keep it real. No, we aren't going to give you free tires for the year or pay for your garage or buy you a trailer or a bike.

We will provide goods or services at discounted prices and dip into our own cash funds if we feel it is going to buy us something in return.

What are we looking for in return? We are looking for racers who will promote us in a good light. Racers who genuinely want our product or service, not just because it's cheap through sponsorship. Racers who take pride in their racing operation and act in a professional manner on and off the track. Racers who will promote us or our products when the situation arises.

In a resume, we are looking for 1 page, 2 at the most, with a run-down of your past racing history and your expected racing goals for the following year. If you are expecting to race 3 or 4 weekends, don't bother sending a resume. You don't have to be chasing a championship, but racing almost all if not all of the weekends is important. A photograph or two of you at the track, in the pits with your bike and in a race is also good. we don't want our decals and shirts/hats on people who's bikes look a mess with different color panels and duct tape everywhere.

It doesn't matter whether you are winning championships or planning to start racing next year, you should still apply for sponsorship if you think you have what sponsors want, and that isn't always a cabinet full of trophies (although that doesn't exclude you from sponsorship of course).

If you spent a total of $1500 on your entire racing setup, you probably aren't someone who is going to get much luck with sponsors except the typical 20% off retail or something. Show commitment to racing the right way and with professionalism and your sponsors will want their decals on your bike.

With that said, we already have our sponsored riders pretty much set for 2011, but it doesn't hurt to send us a resume.

Oh, and make it easy for sponsors to contact you. An emailed resume is fine and don't forget to add a telephone number and a best time to reach you.

Don't cross-brand promote. If you have Woodcraft sponsorship, stay away from vortex as well. They sell similar products (rearsets and clip-ons). it's disrespectful to Woodcraft to do that with their primary product. For a secondary product (let's say tire warmers in this example) feel free to go to Chicken Hawk and display their stickers. That would not be considered cross-brand promoting to Woodcraft as tire warmers are not considered their primary business (just an example, don't take that as necessarily a true case).

Lastly, a few words of advice on KEEPING your sponsors (if you want to continue with them in future years). Don't badmouth them if you switch to another brand of any product or service. Thank them for their help and you might have their support in the future if you need them. Also, send a regular update to them on your racing progress or even if you cannot race for the remainder of the year through injury etc. This lets sponsors know that you are still in their mind and it's not a "thanks and seeya" kind of relationship. If you crash and need help getting set back up to chase a championship, let them know. They might be inclined to help out for a mention of thanks online. Sponsorship value may change through the race year if you show potential or are promoting a sponsor in an extra special way.

If your sponsors name is mentioned in a press release, magazine article or online through your racing, don't be afraid to email them and let them know. it shows you are promoting them.

That's about it. Good luck in your sponsorship quest!

Very Well Said...

I can't speak for out of the Industry sponsors or even product sponsors but I can speak for motorcycle shops and dealerships when it comes to sponsoring racers.

What is most important to shop/dealerships is making sales. When we agree to sponsor someone we are looking for an extension of the shop/dealership. We are looking for knowledgeable racers who are well prepared and seemingly professional when at the track. The best thing a sponsored rider can do is refer business to the shop in the form of bike sales, parts sales, or service. Stickers and result sheets and all that stuff is not nearly as important as you referring someone to the shop. We need to see a return on our investment in you. If we give you $2500 and you gift wrap a new customer on 1 bike sale you just payed for our investment in you and we would likely continue to sponsor you.

Other things you can do is show up at Dealership events with your race bikes, hand out stickers or calenders etc. Thank you ads in magazines are always a nice touch.

What you don't want to do is abuse the sponsorship. If we give you parts at cost don't come in here buying parts for your buddies bikes. Don't let your program go to shit. Keep your bikes clean. Don't disappear after the race season.

Write a thank you letter, maybe frame a picture and sign it, bring a trophy in, a mention of you in a magazine etc.

Every motorcycle shop thinks racing is cool and love to see their bikes out there. They really do. But business is first. If I can spend $10k on advertising on the radio or $10k sponsoring a local racer, which one is going to be the better return on investment?

Just my advice. Oh and always look professional. You should take getting a sponsorship like a job interview. And shoot for the stars when asking for sponsorship! You never know how much you can get unless you ask!

Last edited by Speed Demon 828; 11-12-10 at 11:53 AM.
    Rob Ruggiero
    lrrs ex#828 (retired)
    www.speeddemoncycles.net

Laws are for cagers!!! Turbocharged's Avatar
    North Central 'Assachusetts/Sometimes Metro-West

Something I've notice about sponsorships from the paintball world (I used to run a speedball team), is that a lot of companies think that a sponsorship means you get discounts, and that's it. Getting free stuff is nearly impossible, no mater how good your team/racer is. You need to have an "in", or have something that sets you apart from everyone else in your class.
    The big companies usually don't consider giving free stuff to people that apply for the sponsorship. It's not what you want to hear, but it's the truth. If they're going to give you free stuff, they'll come to you.
    Avoid so-called "sponsorships" that require you to buy their equipment. Even if it's at a significant discount, that puts you in the "customer" category, when where you want to be is in the "advertisement" category. Once they sell you something under a discount sponsorship, your chances of ever getting free stuff from that company are pretty much kaput.

If life gives you lemons... Sue the motherfu**er!