Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

When to start LRRS

Re: When to start LRRS

Entry, if you don't pre-reg for at least 3 races, yes (and you can't for your rookie weekend).

Camping, yes. I'm not sure of the exact charges and it has something to do with electricity as well.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

I did not keep track of my first weekends' worth of expenses. I normally hyper analyze my spending on such things and did not on this outing.. intentionally.

It cost a lot. But it was worth it. Ripple effect on the credit card hasn't worn off ~2 months after the fact.

I also mooched garage space. I have no plan for next year yet.

Yikes. Costs really have gone up a bunch since I was in the game.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Lifer

Yeah, we aren't even using EX500's anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by smiskell View Post
    1. Depends what you sign up for, but could be just a few races after the Rookie Race (Race 1).
    2. Race entry, license, transponder after the 3rd round (first 3 times are free), then more money for races you'll sign up for last minute because you can't get enough.
    3. That is going to happen regardless, but its half the fun
    4. I bummed garage space from RSP for the last two rounds, need to figure out what im doing next year, so I cant comment.
    5. Yes, you can race as many times as you want after the Rookie race in eligible races
    Thank you! I will be saving this info indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    Stephanie covered much of this more succinctly than I...

Race school is on Friday. It's a long day, with a "mock start" for the last on track session of the day. After that you go through registration to sign up for races the next day and get your LRRS account (you don't have a license yet).

Saturday, first race of the day is the rookie race. The goal of the rookie race is to finish. If you can finish the rookie race with out crashing or breaking too many rules, you will then "be licensed" (you won't get your license until it comes in the mail later, but you are licensed). On a middle weight (R6) you'll be eligible for 4 (not counting the rookie) races. The schedule is different each weekend, so there is no "defined" time between the rookie race and your first "real" race, but they are pretty good about not making them back to back.

Updated previous information with some closer costs... Still pretty close. This of course assumes no tip overs, and you show up with a prepped bike and good consumables (pads, tires, etc.).

The first weekend everythings going to be going very fast. You'll be dressing and trying to head out to the pre-grid way too early. Every time. This is where having some friends really (really, really) helps. People pay attention to what races others are in and help with stands / warmers all kinds of stuff.

Garage space. There's been a tradition of a rookie garage. There's also been rumors of it not being available to rookies because there are "squatters" using it. My advice is to have a garage plan before showing up for the weekend.

Here's what my first weekend was like...
    I just read through your whole report Jason and I must say with a lot of things in the way you def had the right mindset for it. Glad you went out there! Lots of great advice - highly suggest other newbies like myself to read through.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I did not keep track of my first weekends' worth of expenses. I normally hyper analyze my spending on such things and did not on this outing.. intentionally.

It cost a lot. But it was worth it. Ripple effect on the credit card hasn't worn off ~2 months after the fact.

I also mooched garage space. I have no plan for next year yet.
    I feel like I will overanalyze my spending as well for my first race weekend but I feel like itll be almost like your first time doing a trackday with all initial costs? Or will it just be as bad cause you'll just want more.

I'm hoping I can get a few people together and share the cost of a garage for next season for a couple of weekends at least to alleviate the cost. Wouldn't be too bad having all the new guys together! Food for thought.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

My experience was that things were far, far more spastic than with a track day. There was a much greater expectation that you knew wtf you were doing beforehand. I asked a shit-ton of really dumb questions before hand. I thought I had exhausted all the dumb questions there were to be asked. I pre-planned everything down to the numbers I picked for registration.

I was still running to miles with my CC in hand for last minute stuff I hadn't thought of.
    I was still in the wrong place at the wrong time doing the wrong thing for the wrong reasons.

I honestly think the best bet it to show up and let what happens happen. Bring the CC, make sure the limit is high and the balance is paid down. Worry about the rest on Monday.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jason P. View Post
    I'm hoping I can get a few people together and share the cost of a garage for next season for a couple of weekends at least to alleviate the cost. Wouldn't be too bad having all the new guys together! Food for thought.
    odds are that probably every garage is already spoken for for next year. you may get lucky tho. your best bet would probably be to put a thread on here and a post up on the LRRS FB page that you are looking for a spot for next year and move in with someone who already owns a garage who is looking to fill the space.

https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

Lifer

..if you go in with the expectation that you will have it all figured out, you will stress. Just go with the flow and you will have fun.
    Agree entirely.

Spare wheels with rains.
    Warmers.
    Stands.
    Tools.
    Plenty of practice safety wiring things.

The list goes on.

Oh.. don't buy fancy-pants race rubber and then run your 1.5 year old track-day rubber anyway.

Oh.. don't buy fancy-pants race rubber and then run your 1.5 year old track-day rubber anyway.
    yea seriously!! you are so lucky Colin that I didnt know that you had done that or I certainly wouldve chewed you out on the spot lol

https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

My experience was that things were far, far more spastic than with a track day. There was a much greater expectation that you knew wtf you were doing beforehand. I asked a shit-ton of really dumb questions before hand. I thought I had exhausted all the dumb questions there were to be asked. I pre-planned everything down to the numbers I picked for registration.

I was still running to miles with my CC in hand for last minute stuff I hadn't thought of.
    I was still in the wrong place at the wrong time doing the wrong thing for the wrong reasons.

I honestly think the best bet it to show up and let what happens happen. Bring the CC, make sure the limit is high and the balance is paid down. Worry about the rest on Monday.
    I am probably in total agreeance here. No amount of questions I can ask will replace the actual FIRST DAY THERE. Definitely doing this for the experience!

Quote Originally Posted by GingahNinjah View Post
    odds are that probably every garage is already spoken for for next year. you may get lucky tho. your best bet would probably be to put a thread on here and a post up on the LRRS FB page that you are looking for a spot for next year and move in with someone who already owns a garage who is looking to fill the space.
    I havent even thought about this, but thanks for the advice! Going to lurk and post up on the FB page.

Which is why I answered #3 the way I did I too like to plan things down to the detail. But if you go in with the expectation that you will have it all figured out, you will stress. Just go with the flow and you will have fun. I forgot about the numbers and eject system, but those are things I also got at the last minute. I actually didn't decide to race until the day before. So I had to safety wire everything the night before.

If you don't already have them, spare wheels with rains are really helpful during racing. The last thing you want to be doing is running to get tires swapped. With help, you can have rains on or off in less than 10 minutes.
    Agree entirely.

Spare wheels with rains.
    Warmers.
    Stands.
    Tools.
    Plenty of practice safety wiring things.

The list goes on.

Yea I, so far, think have this part down. I acquired a track only bike for this reason as well as having complete set of wheels which will have rains on them if that happens. Anything that can be replaced in light of a spill I will must over winter and have on hand if that ever happens. The safety wiring of the bolts ill doing over winter - i can see that being a PITA but it must be done!

I feel like tires are those never ending costs. Currently running the R10 for TD rubber now. forking over 350-400 a set is killing me already

Quote Originally Posted by Jason P. View Post
    I feel like tires are those never ending costs. Currently running the R10 for TD rubber now. forking over 350-400 a set is killing me already
    Get used to it now because if you are racing a 600 expect to go thru atleast 1-2 sets of tires a weekend to start and expect that tire useage to only increase as your laptimes get faster.

I can almost guarantee you that half the garages are available right now.

A lot of you that just jumped in available spots for garage should talk and get one garage. Seems like plenty of people to share the cost.

^^^^^ this

Lifer

yea seriously!! you are so lucky Colin that I didnt know that you had done that or I certainly wouldve chewed you out on the spot lol
    You are so full of poo. We talked about my tires. You said they looked fine and that you'd run them!

My point is no matter how much you think you have things planned out and your time management skills down, you're going to miss calculate something. Mine was having an opportunity to have tires mounted. Yours will be something.

Or maybe it's just me.

Get used to it now because if you are racing a 600 expect to go thru atleast 1-2 sets of tires a weekend to start and expect that tire useage to only increase as your laptimes get faster.
    Bs. I could run a weekend on a set of tires doing 16's in the last race on a 1000. As a novice you should be able to get at least a weekend and a half if not 2 weekends out of a set of new rubber. I was getting 4-6 races out of my rears.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Lifer

This thread sucks. It should be locked, deleted, and never spoken of again. All it has done is got me thinking about that weekend again and praying for a quick winter.. it's not even turkey-day yet.

Bring your wallet full, leave with it empty. That's all you'll need.

As for garages, you can't rent them from NHMS by the weekend; you need to rent for a season, one person needs to be financially accountable, and you need to pay up front for the season.

As for tire usage, takeoffs are an option, but Smutty makes a valid point(even though it's wrapped in "look how awesome I am"): One new set of tires should last a decent amount of time for a novice. Of course, the faster you go, the faster your tires wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
    Bring your wallet full, leave with it empty. That's all you'll need.

As for garages, you can't rent them from NHMS by the weekend; you need to rent for a season, one person needs to be financially accountable, and you need to pay up front for the season.

As for tire usage, takeoffs are an option, but Smutty makes a valid point(even though it's wrapped in "look how awesome I am"): One new set of tires should last a decent amount of time for a novice. Of course, the faster you go, the faster your tires wear.
    Listen here champ

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Based on this year, unclaimed garages will be at a premium. Get organized NOW so if after Jan there are some that didn't get renewed you can jump on one.

Best advice is to find someone experienced that you can squat with on your first event. Garage or not having someone to mentor your through will be so valuable.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Squat is ideal. Be "in the area of" is minimal.

People around that you can ask questions of, or who will tell you "not yet", ask you why the hell your warmers aren't on.

It makes things much easier. I can't imagine "wildcating" a rookie weekend (and hats off to those who have).

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rada View Post
    Best advice is to find someone experienced that you can squat with on your first event. Garage or not having someone to mentor your through will be so valuable.
    Can't agree with this enough.

I've encouraged racers in the past to rent garages. That must be tempered with the knowledge that you're in it for the long haul, you aren't renting a garage for a weekend, you're renting it for the entire season(even if divided up among a few). During your first season, squatting, finding garages with absent racers, etc might make more sense.

All great advice and much appreciated! Hoping to put something together for the joined renting of a garage space before the new year, but if any interests in renting spaces together dont hesitate to make that known! But i do ask where can i find the listing of garages still available online? Anyone want to take this young padawan under their wing

In on looking for space.

You don't get to "pick" you space per se... But you can work with LRRS on what's open (there is no online list).

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast