Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Motorcycle racing sport-specific training program

Motorcycle racing sport-specific training program

Came across this recently and thought I'd share in case anyone was interested. It's a work-out program that is designed to hep people in auto sports and motorcycling specifically. I got it from "the Strength Training Anatomy Workout" book by Frederic Delavier.

Motorcycle racing sport-specific training program-workout001-pdf

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

Re: Motorcycle racing sport-specific training program

I liked ScottG's comment at the riders banquet this year.

'Ametuers are training, I didn't know we were suppose to do that'

Or something to that affect.

not that I don't exercise with racing in mine.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Tim
    LRRS #44
    Superbike Services 44

There isn't a cheaper way to improve lap times than to be in better shape. Having a specific workout for racing seems a bit unnecessary, but imagine what dropping that extra weight, increasing flexibility, or increasing cardiovascular health could do to your entire racing experience.

I'm a big advocator of being healthy and in-shape. You don't need to take it to extremes, but if racing is the necessary motivation you need to better your physical self, by all means use it.

If you're doing no physical exercise, this suggested routine can't do anything but help

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

I eat pie.....

My buddy does canoe racing and has been training to get ready for his season. He just mentioned to me that they had a specific program for motorcycles based on the muscles we use the most. IIn the back of the book, there are a bunch of different programs listed depending on the sport. I just thought it was cool.

I haven't tried it yet, but just thought I'd share.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66

Quote Originally Posted by sdog30 View Post
    My buddy does canoe racing and has been training to get ready for his season. He just mentioned to me that they had a specific program for motorcycles based on the muscles we use the most. IIn the back of the book, there are a bunch of different programs listed depending on the sport. I just thought it was cool.

No argument from me at all, any workout is better than no workout. And if you are an avid runner, cyclist, soccer player etc... who does not lift weights, I feel this could be quite beneficial.

The Canoe racing, on the other hand, involves strength and endurance. Whereas on a motorcycle strength really isn't part of it at all. Being smooth is more important than being in shape. Adam is one of the most relaxed guys on a bike and his response was "I eat pie." Or look at Greenwood's comment posted earlier. It really isn't for everyone, I just posted my take on it.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    There isn't a cheaper way to improve lap times than to be in better shape. Having a specific workout for racing seems a bit unnecessary, but imagine what dropping that extra weight, increasing flexibility, or increasing cardiovascular health could do to your entire racing experience.

I'm a big advocator of being healthy and in-shape. You don't need to take it to extremes, but if racing is the necessary motivation you need to better your physical self, by all means use it.

If you're doing no physical exercise, this suggested routine can't do anything but help
    Seat time, growing balls, learning how to listen to your bike, and becoming smooth is how you get faster. This stuff is excellent for endurance and injury prevention though...

... I just want to know where I can get a pair of these shorts!

Those are some nice tattoos

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Okay Sam!! I give you one point for good intention.

Not race specific, but I happen so suffer from a lot of back pain - which evidently doesn't give well with sportbike riding or racing. I have been doing fisiotherapy which focuses in strenghtening and streching the muscles. I have also been taking/doing global postural re-educaction (aka RPG). For years I have been recommended fisiotherapy and was skeptical about. I gotta tell ya: it works.

My fisiotherapists have recommended that I do Pilates after completing our program. In fact many people have said the same. I might just do that.

If anybody here is like me: loves being in the track for a full day of motorcycle riding and has a history of back problems I sugest 1 (if not all) of of the 3 programs I stated above. If you do not have back problems, you can still exercise to strenghten your core muscles (abs, back, etc) which you should do regardless of your riding habits.

None of the above will necessarily make you faster at the track but anyone can rip from the benefits of exercising and strechting correctly.

I didn't think working out or getting in shape would make me faster, but I did think it would help with endurance. I also started to do yoga to work on flexibility, being centered, breathing exercises and balance.

You guys do whatever you want, I'm trying to improve myself any way that works.

LRRS/CCS #66

Only issue us skinny guys got is that our forearms get tired from lots of extreme braking. Good thing my brakes don't work so well.

Friends don't let friends wave to Can Ams

I also started to do yoga to work on flexibility, being centered, breathing exercises and balance.
    Same here. My flexibility sucks now days. Endurance and cardio need improvement too. I'm working on those too. I joke about it but I will be a leaner meaner racing machine by Round 1..

Seems like all good stuff. I was just picking on you(and the rest of us really), nothing serious.

My first year racing I exercised a lot. I have a bowflex that I try to use 3 time a week plus I was mountain biking/cross country/ single track...whatever you call it, a lot. I did ok. I was not able to exercise as much the next year, I got faster. The next year even less and i got faster. Then Scotty's comment made me laugh.

I'm taking the Colin Edwards approach. Do what you like to do and don't let a missed workout get in your head.

I like to be in shape just because.

Last edited by timmyho414; 02-08-13 at 08:28 AM.
    Tim
    LRRS #44
    Superbike Services 44

Quote Originally Posted by Rada View Post
    I eat pie.....
    Your wifes pie is the best I have ever had!

I had to!

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

rum and tequila loosen me up for the wins.

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers