Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

I need some tires!

I need some tires!

Hi Guys,
    I just bought another set of wheels for my tard and the rear is a 5.4" width. The front is the standard 3.5".
    Dunlop seems to make the tire that would fit the best on the rear. Where can I buy some Dunlops?
    "Fitment specs Rear 165: 165/55×17 KR108 Rear
    Recommended Rim range (5.25-5.50), Best Rim (5.50)
    Width (162mm/6.37"), Diameter (628mm/24.72")
    Available Compounds: 3166 Soft and 3483 Medium
    Pressures: Hot on the warmers 23psi, or cold 21psi"

Any other tire vendors here that have some suggestions?

This will be used for track days on a tard. I am also considering dot's with tread so I could run in the rain. Thoughts? Please educate me.

Thanks,
    Nathan

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: I need some tires!

DOT race tires won't help you much in the rain, they won't get up to operating temp. You'd be better off with street tires (designed to run at lower temps) or rain race tires for wet conditions.

+1 on true rains in the wet. Put a good set of soft compound rains on and go have fun on the tard. They last forever and on a motard you can go rediculously fast for wet conditions. In the dry run the 170 Dunlop motard slick.

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

Nathan, are you sure that rim+tire size will fit on your YZ?
    I have a 5" rim with a 160 tire on mine, and the rim is offset on the hub and I have about 1/16" clearance with the chain. The chain does hit the tire once in a while but not enough to chew it up. And that's with a non O-ring chain as well

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Nathan, are you sure that rim+tire size will fit on your YZ?
    I have a 5" rim with a 160 tire on mine, and the rim is offset on the hub and I have about 1/16" clearance with the chain. The chain does hit the tire once in a while but not enough to chew it up. And that's with a non O-ring chain as well
    FYI the 170 Dunlop motard slick actually has MORE chain clearance than the 165 slick (and a lot more than the 160 DOT tire I had on my KTM for a little while). I was wondering the same thing but the Dunlop guy at the track told me it would clear, so I tried it. Turns out they just call it a 170; it's actually a more triangular profile to give a bigger contact patch at big lean angles.

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

Quote Originally Posted by lrrs313 View Post
    FYI the 170 Dunlop motard slick actually has MORE chain clearance than the 165 slick (and a lot more than the 160 DOT tire I had on my KTM for a little while). I was wondering the same thing but the Dunlop guy at the track told me it would clear, so I tried it. Turns out they just call it a 170; it's actually a more triangular profile to give a bigger contact patch at big lean angles.
    Wouldn't the wider rim push the sidewall out a bit more?

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Wouldn't the wider rim push the sidewall out a bit more?
    Yes, but the rub point for my bike wasn't the sidewall so much as the edge of the "tread" surface; I wore the edge of my DOTs completely off without touching the sidewall. Slicks were the same thing, just not as much. I think with the wider rim it might stretch the tire so that you may not have contact. I would recommend adding a chain guide like the one Graves sells to the top of your swingarm.

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

Thanks everybody. So I learned that i should get a good set of race rubber and a good set of rain rubber if I am going to run in the rain. Got it.

Need dry rubber first. Where do I buy it from? It sounds like dunlop makes the size that i want.

Thanks,
    Nathan

if you want Dunlop call up www.racetireservice.com

The Dunlop vendor at the track. Check lrrsracing.com, I think there's a link in there.

EDIT: Too slow. ^What he said.

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

Quote Originally Posted by lrrs313 View Post
    likewise on both my KTM and Husky Motard.......Pirelli's are another option. I run Pirelli on the KTM (still have Dunlop on the Husky)

Last edited by xsiliconkid; 03-28-11 at 10:03 AM.
    Graham
    "If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee — that will do them in"

Does pirelli ( or anybody else) make a tire that will fit on the 5.4 rear width that I have? Any I over thinking it? Should I just through a 160 on there and run it or should I try to get a 165 or 170?

Thanks guys and sorry for all the questions.

Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by xsiliconkid View Post
    likewise on both my KTM and Husky Motard.......170 is just an aspect ratio -tire height to width.

Pirelli's are another option. I run Pirelli on the KTM (still have Dunlop on the Husky)
    170 is the width in mm but that number isn't accurate for whatever reason but its close. 55 is the aspect ratio.

oh yeah....
    tire aspect ratio
    Section Height / Section Width = Aspect Ratio

Last edited by xsiliconkid; 03-06-11 at 11:10 AM.
    Graham
    "If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee — that will do them in"

So, who is the favorite tire vendor on this site? I would like to support the locals. I am looking for track day rubber for the motard if that makes a difference. Slicks are fine as my tard is not street legal.

I am hoping to do one if not both tony's days if I can swing it.

Thanks,
    Nathan

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

If your intended use is TTD's, talk to MTAG. They should be able to set you up with some Pirelli shoes, and they'll be at the track to help with setup and everything else. They're all forum members and supporters.

If you want Dunlop, I'd talk to Steve Dunlop (not his actual name, but what everyone I know calls him), who is the dunlop vendor at the track. Dude's pretty cool. Has always treated me right!

If you want Bridgestone, talk to S&C. Again, site supporters, and they are our local trackside support/parts/b-stone tires people. Link is in post 9.

If you want Contis, or plan to run mostly bomo days, talk to bomo. For some reason I think they may be switching what brand tires they sell this year?

In your shoes, sounds like your best bet is contacting www.racetireservice.com if you want dunlops, or MTAG if you want them for running TTDs and don't have anything against pirelli.

Lots of dudes going fast on all the options, really. I believe it's a personal preference myself.

I am painting my rims. So I am mounting new skins. Front is a 120/600R17 soft. Rear is a 165/630R17 medium. These tires have 5 races. Bridgestones slicks. You can have them if they fit. I told someone else that they can have them but they never called. I had mounted the same size tires on my tard before. Pm me if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    I am painting my rims. So I am mounting new skins. Front is a 120/600R17 soft. Rear is a 165/630R17 medium. These tires have 5 races. Bridgestones slicks. You can have them if they fit. I told someone else that they can have them but they never called. I had mounted the same size tires on my tard before. Pm me if interested.
    Mike is actually running YDC (Ultra-Soft) Front and YCX (Soft) Rear B-Stone slicks. Unless it is really hot out, these tires will work good. B-Stone also makes YCY (Medium) slicks. Last summer I ran YCX (Soft) Front and YCY (Medium) Rear slick Bridgestones and they worked very well.

Rumor has it that BostoMoto is still selling Continental tires, but you need to pre-order before an event. I've decided to use Continental Race Attack tires this year on my SV650 and TZ250 race bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post

PMed!
    Thanks
    Nathan

Your right. I just tell Miles give me what I need.