Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

tl 1000s clutch problem

tl 1000s clutch problem

Have a friend that has a clutch problem on his Tl1000s ,It is a 97 , the clutch was slipping a little under heavy load,and if you just squeeze the lever an 1/8th in it would slip,suspect clutch or springs worn out. Bought new clutch and springs with all new steels, Barnett Kevlar clutch kit,went to install and didn't see any real bad burning or any thing with the clutch that was in the bike. So we installed the new clutch as the way the manual said to odd fiber disc first with small steel spacer and convex pc, then the remaining discs and steels with the 2 thicker steels in positions 5-6 as described in manual, and last disc installed staggered from others as described.install cover fill with oil take for test ride after adjusting free play, slips worse then with original clutch, took back apart ck'd for mistakes none found, measured both clutch stacks they are identical ,ck'd pressure plate it is within spec am now looking at clutch cam assembly, but I have never dealt with a set up like this it doesn't appear to be worn to badly. Has anyone ever ran across a problem like this before and possably enlighten me to the fix?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Re: tl 1000s clutch problem

Like Frankenstein said the heavier springs will likely take care of the issue. Myself I have never wanted heavier springs on my TLS so I never went that route.

What typically happens is that the ramps on the back tourque limiting clutch (Suzuki's original cheap attempt at a slipper clutch) develop a wear spot that, when the clutch is re-engaging after a deceleration event, causes the clutch to not fully engage allowing it to slip. I have roughly 55-60K on my TLS and roughly ever 18-20K the back tourque limiter has been replaced. A couple of times Suzuki did it under warranty and the last time I had to pony up the funds to buy the parts. Every time when the spring lengths were checked and the clutch pack thickness was measured it was the same thing you are describing, well within factory specs. Replaced the back tourque limiter and away I went without any issues.

You can use the fiche on ronayers.com to figure out what the parts are that you will need.

You could also check out tlzone.net or tlplanet.com for more info, I think they both still exist.

Joel

+1 on the springs

Too old to rock and roll, too young to die.

Thanks for the responses, I had already put in stiffer springs , they came with the kit. They were about 1/4" longer than stock also.The peices that make up the poor attempt of a slipper clutch were checked and show some were but found not to be the problem . Last night I took every thing apart and inspected everything, reassembled one last time , same thing so I called Jeff Castine at Allsport cycle in Orange He gave me the same Ideas I was already checking Then he said have you checked if the adjuster was returning all the way on the left side, so I check it and it's not, it had so much chain wax or lube under it it could not return all the way.cleaned it out and took the adjuster off and cleaned the chainwax out of it Clutch works perfectly. Problem solved. Thanks