Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Well done Tom (Major)

Banned

Well done Tom (Major)

One of our NESR regulars is doing great in the Junior GTL class. Running 5th on his SV650. Well done Tom!!

derek

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Well done Tom (Major)

Thanks Degs! This 1st year of racing has gone much better than I could have ever imagined, one more weekend of JR's and then I'm going Expert for the last round to see what next year will be like. Hope the learning curve continues.

CCS/LRRS #664

Well done Tom (Major)

HIJACK: Degsy, what happened on the EX500? Inquiring minds want to know???

Paul_E_D

Well done Tom (Major)

Originally posted by Paul_E_D
    HIJACK: Degsy, what happened on the EX500? Inquiring minds want to know???
    BWAAAHAHAAA..yeah Degs, You looked so smooth out there, what happened? HEEHEEHEHEHEEEE

Were you "Shocked"?

Gret job by the way Tom! That's quite an accomplishment! Congrats!

Heath Smith
    LRRS/CCS #337
    Low Down Racing
    www.racetireservice.com
    www.motorbikesplus.com
    Power by Dr. Hillsgrove
    Traction by Franimal Racing Syndicate

05' KTM 525SMR,
    01' YZ426F
    05' Reiju RS1

Says Vale to Colin at the end of the 2002 8 Hours of Suzuka: "Ok Colin, you better go out there and win. Because it is the ONLY way we will NEVER have to come here again!"

Banned

Well done Tom (Major)

I took John's EX500 out in the PT expert race and all I can say is that the thing was downright dangerous. The oscillations from the rear end of the bike were unbelievable down the start/finish straight and in the turns, particularly turn 9.

The upshot of it is that the Ohlins rear shock was probably last rebuilt in about 1996 or something. It has ZERO damping. Basically it is a $500 spring on a stick. It need some oil as it is bone dry. John is removing it from the bike this week for Peter Kates to rebuild it. I'll give the EX500 pt race another shot next race weekend.

I pitted on the 2nd lap as I considered myself a danger to me and others on that bike with the shock the way it is. Otherwise, the bike seems ok on the front end and has plenty of power for an EX.

I ran a 1:33 on the starting lap so I'm guessing I would have dipped into the high 1:20's on a hot lap.

Derek

Well done Tom (Major)

Ahhhh, that brings back memories. Oscillations on an EX500 can never be fully tuned out. Once you get the shock/forks under control and go a little faster, it starts oscillating again in the turns due to frame/fork flex. You have to get used to it.

A 600 feels like riding a Caddilac Sedan DeVille compared to a fast lap on and EX.

There's no explanation for how it's possible to dip into the 19s on one of those bikes, but it's been done...

Paul_E_D

Well done Tom (Major)

Originally posted by Degsy
    I took John's EX500 out in the PT expert race and all I can say is that the thing was downright dangerous. The oscillations from the rear end of the bike were unbelievable down the start/finish straight and in the turns, particularly turn 9.

The upshot of it is that the Ohlins rear shock was probably last rebuilt in about 1996 or something. It has ZERO damping. Basically it is a $500 spring on a stick. It need some oil as it is bone dry. John is removing it from the bike this week for Peter Kates to rebuild it. I'll give the EX500 pt race another shot next race weekend.

I pitted on the 2nd lap as I considered myself a danger to me and others on that bike with the shock the way it is. Otherwise, the bike seems ok on the front end and has plenty of power for an EX.

I ran a 1:33 on the starting lap so I'm guessing I would have dipped into the high 1:20's on a hot lap.

Derek
    Well that wasn't a very fun dissortation Degs!

Heath Smith
    LRRS/CCS #337
    Low Down Racing
    www.racetireservice.com
    www.motorbikesplus.com
    Power by Dr. Hillsgrove

05' KTM 525SMR,
    01' YZ426F
    05' Reiju RS1

Says Vale to Colin at the end of the 2002 8 Hours of Suzuka: "Ok Colin, you better go out there and win. Because it is the ONLY way we will NEVER have to come here again!"

FUN

Originally posted by Degsy

Derek
    Well that wasn't a very fun dissortation Degs!

Heath Smith
    LRRS/CCS #337
    Low Down Racing
    www.racetireservice.com
    www.motorbikesplus.com
    Power by Dr. Hillsgrove

05' KTM 525SMR,
    01' YZ426F
    05' Reiju RS1