Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Tracking Items for Track Days, track bike, trailer etc etc

Lifer

Re: Tracking Items for Track Days, track bike, trailer etc etc

Feet are directly under you, instead of set to the rear.
    There is virtually no way to use your thigh or knee to grip the tank while cornering like there is on a sport-bike.
    The bars are far higher relative to your ass, you need to be (even more) conscious about dropping the shoulder.
    Keeping weight off the bars while braking is a bigger challenge as there is less to brace against.
    The saddle is so much narrower that you need to get way more than one cheek off. I think it is easier for a noob to be crossed up without realizing it.

It is much easier (and more important?) to transfer weight back and forth between the wheels.

For those of us less flexible types, the pegs scrape before the knee does. .. No matter how hard I try.

I just think a sportbike is an all around better choice for a dedicated track toy for a newer TD rider.

In my case, I'd rather pour money into track time for the SV than improving the KLX.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I don't disagree a your logic. Ive never actualy riden a sport bike on a track. Im just saying by the end of the season, I will have raced, or at least riden every type of 2 wheel competition I can think of(short of trials) with the same bike and I think that is pretty dam cool.

Also going back to the original question
    My trailer consist of
    Bike
    Gear bag
    Extra clothes bag
    Generator
    Grill
    Ez up
    Sm air compressor
    air Circulator
    Tool box
    Sm Pitt side tool tray with essentials soo
    Tired gage
    8,10,12 socket
    8,10,12 wrench
    sockets for F&R axels
    Flat head
    Saftey wire pliers
    Plastic tote with
    Tire warmers
    Ext cords
    Power strip
    Extra fluids
    Extra tubes
    Tire bead braker and spoons
    Bag of stuff for cooking
    Cooler full of food, water and a few beers for the end of the day

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Feet are directly under you, instead of set to the rear.
    There is virtually no way to use your thigh or knee to grip the tank while cornering like there is on a sport-bike.
    The bars are far higher relative to your ass, you need to be (even more) conscious about dropping the shoulder.
    Keeping weight off the bars while braking is a bigger challenge as there is less to brace against.
    The saddle is so much narrower that you need to get way more than one cheek off. I think it is easier for a noob to be crossed up without realizing it.

It is much easier (and more important?) to transfer weight back and forth between the wheels.

For those of us less flexible types, the pegs scrape before the knee does. .. No matter how hard I try.

I just think a sportbike is an all around better choice for a dedicated track toy for a newer TD rider.

In my case, I'd rather pour money into track time for the SV than improving the KLX.
    I disagree with a bunch of this. I had no trouble holding my well above average weight through the tank with my knee. the higher bars seem to make it easier to keep weight off of them than my sv or any other sport bike. A rider doesn't need to keep weight off the bars while braking upright, but during braking, which is significantly stronger than on a real bike I found it much easier to stay loose. More specifically because of the more forward foot pegs I could slide my ass back and use them to hold me back. I have yet to see pics but crossed up riding is going to be a riders style that I can't imagine will be affected.

As far as peg scraping I did notice that. But, I think the issue for both of us is a light spring for our weight, getting the peg closer to the ground than it needs to be. A cheapo sportbike should be cheaper than upkeep on a real motard.

Anyway on this motard subject. I bought one and rode it 3 sessions during a trackday at Thompson, a track I dislike. That is my entire motard experience. I must say that it could be one of the most entertaining times I've had on the track. I get giddy thinking about riding it at a better track like nhms or a real motard track. The bike was instantly easy to ride and get up to pace, as well as being much less tiring to ride during the session. I chattered the front tire all around the the long left hander in the nascar oval and totally lost the rear in 1 with no drama. It was just cool. When riding a motard the bike encourages you to get weird. It was even more annoying to try and pass big bikes with trackday restrictions than on my SV, but at a track I know and am comfortable with like NHMS I wouldn't see that being a problem.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Lifer

JC, you're also a helluva good rider and far more experienced than any new track day rider is going to be. Chipper too. And both of you guys ride a lot of dirt. I'm not surprised you guys are more comfortable on these things.

I lost the rear in T8. Ate shit.

I agree they are more comfortable.

Lifer

Also, don't get me wrong. They are huge fun. Even my ho-hum DRZ/KLX. I agree that everyone has to own one at least once before they punch out. Great does-it all choice. Commute M-F. Then swap the wheels for a weekend track day. Or grab an OHV sticker and try trails out. Have a helluva time doing all that and more.

But as soon as you throw the word "dedicated" in the track day bit I think there become better choices.

Maybe it is from riding dirt, I was INSTANTLY comfortable on one.

And that was way before I started racing.

Last edited by Chippertheripper; 09-24-14 at 06:21 PM.
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123