Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

No End of Trouble

No End of Trouble

Well, I couldn’t get the job done this weekend. I thought I had a working solution to my bent caliper flange, but as the pace heated up, it became apparent that I hadn’t. The bike was still too unpredictable to trail brake near the limit. This problem has been especially tough to digest, because a new fork is $$$ and also NLA, so I wanted badly to remedy the one I have. It turns out the problem was terminal…

In practice I was able to click off a fast lap if I had clear track, which led me to believe things were OK, and it was all in my head. I was compensating for the problem though, and in the race it became all too apparent.

Eric Yoo got out front and Zack and I had 2 motards to contend with. Zack got lucky and they left the door open to him in T3 and he set off after Eric, I wasn’t able to outbrake them in the bowl, because I couldn’t trail brake much without the front end just twisting up and unloading in a most stressful way. They weaved across the line through 7,8,9,10 and I couldn’t pass til Turn 11. By then my race was as good as over. I put my head down and did some stressful 17s, but the leaders weren’t coming back to me. Turns out they hit 16.5, which was a personal best for both of them. To their credit, they put on a HELL of a show, dicing back and forth at a searing pace for the whole race distance. All I could do was watch them disappear. I finished 3rd. It bummed me out.

Soooo, I needed to fix my problem. I found someone with a spare 95 bike, and borrowed a fork for Sunday practice. Even without the right internals, I was immediately more comfortable doing 17s in traffic. A couple clicks of the adjusters and I did a 17.1 in 2nd practice with no drama. Phew! It wasn’t in my head… I struck a deal to swap fork legs with the guy, and I’m looking forward to the next race. I really have to prove myself now. The points gap I had is gone!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

No End of Trouble

Nice Paul, glad to hear it somewhat 'worked out' in the end. I did in fact notice you were a lil off the pace of the other two guys in that 125 race. Now I see why, definately would cause some issues with the front like that. Good luck at the next one.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Boston --> San Diego