Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Video from my first day of ice-biking

Video from my first day of ice-biking

Here's a video from my first day (ever) out on the ice. It's set to a good tune, so it's much better with the sound on:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...89430055622315

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Where are we going?...and why am I in this handbasket?"
    LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

Re: Video from my first day of ice-biking

Sweet! I wish my tire was on backwards, that would at least explain why it won't hook up. Lovin' the smooth ice!

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

looks like fun was had!

Paul_E_D

Nice. Can't wait to get out this weekend. So much fun!
    Just got the tires mounted today...what a PITA

Alas...those were the good ol' days.

Being my first time, I had no idea how much I was taking natural glare ice without a single snowflake for granted.

We've still had some good days out on the ice, but even with my roadracing buddies and I chipping in some cash for the plow guys, they're flat-trackers at heart, and always give more TLC to the oval than the TT course.

Who wants to turn left all day? What is this, NASCAR?

*sobs and watches video one more time*

Video from my first day of ice-biking-ambiturner-jpg

"Where are we going?...and why am I in this handbasket?"
    LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

Lifer

Wanna seriously mess with them? Wait for everyone to take a break, then go out on the oval and rip it back wards. Minds will be blown.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I think when in Rome. Ice is not really about roadracing IMO. It's a separate discipline. Learning to ride flat track style is Incredibly fun, and useful even if you only go left. Increasing your entry speed, timing your roll off with tip in, sliding and still making the apex and getting on the gas hard and early. These are awesome skills to work at obsessively until you are nearing the absolute limit.

I guarantee that most of this goes out the window when you ride a road course on the ice because when each corner is different, you simply can't push as hard. I agree that the roadcourses are fun, but I think they are just diversion, where as flat track is really highly effective training.

Paul_E_D

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Learning to ride flat track style is about banging bars with novices out for their first weekend on a new-to-them bike.
    Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    I guarantee that most of this goes out the window when you ride a road course on the ice because when each corner is different, you simply can't push as hard. I agree that the roadcourses are fun, but I think they are just diversion, where as flat track is really highly effective training.
    Ah. But learning a road course is a skill as well. Where to apex. Which corner to go deep and which to exit hard. Which line through which section. All great fun. And extra exciting as the conditions of the course can change from lap to lap. Slush or ice chips at the apex of T1. Clean ice on the exit of T5. Etc.

Very, very exciting stuff. Way mo' fun than what I had planned to be doing this off season.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Fixed.

Ah. But learning a road course is a skill as well. Where to apex. Which corner to go deep and which to exit hard. Which line through which section. All great fun. And extra exciting as the conditions of the course can change from lap to lap. Slush or ice chips at the apex of T1. Clean ice on the exit of T5. Etc.

Very, very exciting stuff. Way mo' fun than what I had planned to be doing this off season.
    Road course is fun, but not as useful a learning tool for me, anyway. Maybe because I already have those skills? But also for the reasons I stated in my last post.

Paul_E_D