Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Viper897 goes racing in 2016

Viper897 goes racing in 2016

So since we waivered a bit off topic in the 100 day countdown lets make this the place were Ill try to keep you all updated on my 2016 race preps. And in turn you guys can post up your advice and wisdom, if you chose to do so.

First a bit about me

I did my first track day in 2013 (only one that year) and got the bug so bad I went out and bought a track bike that winter and was prepped and ready for 2014. 2014 wasn't without its challenges. I did 9 days at the track in 2014 between Thompson and Loudon, crashed once at both tracks, rebuilt the bike from the frame up once mid season, repainted the bike twice, did the two day basic school and didn't get my license after it (I regret this choice but time to make up for it). The winter of 2014/2015 saw some weight gain, more work on the bike getting to where I wanted it to be, a little bit of off season fitness, and it was time to hit the track before I realized it. 2015 saw something like 14 days on track for me (I lost count). I had a lack of confidence in my brakes for the better part of the season, which come to find out was mental, but held me back from my lap time goals as well as other riding improvements since I couldn't carry the corner speed or brake like I wanted to. Once I found out my brakes weren't the problem and it was the organ between the ears (brain) I dropped 3 seconds from my lap time, and was within 0.5 seconds of my end of season goal by October.

So fast forward to 2016

-final sorting of the bike and things that needed to be finished to go racing
    -fitness plan (Was 234 pounds at Christmas and weighed in this morning 2/25/16 at a much lower 215 pounds) thanks trainerroad and the pedal bike trainer I invested in

Nhbubba is right though, I do tend to focus on the minute details, I have farkles on my bikes, and he can back this up as hes seen both bikes that I own. I have him quoted with "Your street SV is nicer than my Race sv". Sadly this is true when comparing my street and track bike together.

In regards to the laptimer and dash setup I am working on. Yes for some this is sensory overload. And a lot of you are saying how in the world is any novice going to ever be able to look down at the laptimer and get meaningful data from it. Well when chasing my lap time goals the only reason I went faster was cause I knew where I was slow. I also used the 2015 trackday season to teach my brain how to see the screen out of my peripherals. This worked wonders cause I never thought the straight at loudon was going to net me enough time to look at it. So I started at Thompson to learn how to do this, long straight plenty of time to look. then I transferred this to some of the shorter sections at Thompson, then to the straight at loudon, then to some of the even shorter sections at loudon. So now I can safely look at the timer quickly and see what the time is and if I need to go faster, or not.

Well feel free to comment, and I will try to post up often, as well as put up some of my other preperations for 2016 being my rookie season.

Thanks for reading
    -Viper

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Re: Viper897 goes racing in 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Viper897 View Post
    "Your street SV is nicer than my Race sv"
    That's a really low bar though.

Your approach to racing is different than mine. My "program" has always had a hard limit with respect to budget. I refused to spend more than X, come hell or high water because of the other sacrifices it would require. That said, I don't think my "program" lacked much really. Not for a NV/green AM. In my opinion the goodies, chassis optimization, suspension and engine tuning, etc are much more effective at the advanced AM and EX levels than the early NV stages.

The one single thing I always wish I'd spent more money on was training. More 1-on-1 and more time on track would have helped me more than any gadget or goodie. I believe this is universal. Every non-alien in my "rookie class" last year that did well spent a lot of time, $ and energy on training.

Lap timers are fucking awesome. The data they provide is somewhat mind blowing. I only barely scratched the surface. I watched a lot of other riders leverage them far better than I did. But not on track. The data is 98% most useful off track between sessions and at the end of Friday practice or whatnot. I liked having the QStarz with the display because I am massively impatient. With the display I was able to look at the timer rolling into hot-pit at the end of my practice session or whatever and get an instant summary. But it was never more than a summary. Details required uploading the data to the PC.

I think you're going to do well and have a shitload of fun. (It's motorcycle racing, how can you not?!?) Hope to be up for April to watch. Maybe bask in some of that 1st time out aura of energy. Doitup.

Racing a LW @ LRRS is awesome. You are quite fortunate that the league and LW class especially is chock full of some very cool cats.
    Write yourself race reports, even if you don't share them publicly. Best way to prolong the high.
    For 7 Mondays this year you will be entirely unproductive.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Have you figured out garage/camping?
    Is your bikes suspension and geometry where it needs to be? Do you feel comfortable riding the bike on the track?
    Do you have a mentor/good friend at the track who will help through at least the first weekend?
    Is the bike drilled and safety wired? Have you had an experienced racer check that truly all that needs to be safety wired is?
    Is your helmet <5 years old? Do you own an eject system? Will you buy/rent transponder? Does your bike have number plates already?
    Do you need more help with a fitness/diet plan?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Good thread, good luck. Stop by the BT1R garages and say hi and introduce yourself.

Lifer

This kid is OCD re: gear and bike. I said it elsewhere; the zip ties will be trimmed and filed as to not irritate the skin. The bearings will have precisely the right amount of grease. Brake reservoirs will filled such that the meniscus curve of the fluid is precisely above the "max" line. Safety wire will be wound to FAA specifications. The extra extension cord running to the tire warmers will be precisely coiled in a 2' radius for round 1. For round 2 the cord will be cut to custom length. He'll probably put tape markers on the garage floor for where his rear stand should be.

I'm not kidding. I had to talk him out of putting MotoGP spec quick connects on his brake lines.

He has a garage and knows a bunch of North garage cats. I think he has support lined up.. and if he doesn't he should message me and I will commit to being there. I can't mentor for shit. Well, I can, but god help him if he listens to me! But I can pull tire warmers and fist pump like a motherfucking pro.

Plus, I'll move all his tools around in his toolbox while he's on track. Leave the ratchets on their sides and put the screwdrivers in the drawers handle first. Turn all the fluid containers around so that a random 1/3rd of them are facing label in. Maybe I'll volunteer to help put numbers on and accidentally wrinkle one of them.

Lifer

And he has a 1945848' long trailer. Enough for 14 bikes plus spares. Probably sleeps 10 and has a Jacuzzi installed by now.

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Have you figured out garage/camping?
    Is your bikes suspension and geometry where it needs to be? Do you feel comfortable riding the bike on the track?
    Do you have a mentor/good friend at the track who will help through at least the first weekend?
    Is the bike drilled and safety wired? Have you had an experienced racer check that truly all that needs to be safety wired is?
    Is your helmet <5 years old? Do you own an eject system? Will you buy/rent transponder? Does your bike have number plates already?
    Do you need more help with a fitness/diet plan?
    So I will do my best to answer everyones questions, but lets start here.

Have I figured out garage/camping?
    Yes I will be sleeping in my trailer which is still a project of its own, as for garage I will be in North 16 so feel free to come say Hi. Just look for the guy with way to much stuff for a novice.

Is my bikes suspension set up?
    Sort of, its something that I play with every so often to see what changes feel like.

Do I feel comfortable riding on the track?
    Yes, 2 years of riding on the track, with 6 of those days in a Penguin Race School situation with no passing restrictions.

Do I have a mentor/friend to help me through my first weekend?
    Yes, I have a lot of friends that I have made in the North garages over the last two seasons of just hanging out on race weekends. A few instructors from track days have offered to come help. But I am also open to any suggestions from people who have experience with this that I haven't talked with yet.

Is the bike drilled and wired? Has a experienced racer checked looked it over?
    Drilled and wired as this bike has been raced before. Also there are things wired/captivated that are above and beyond what is needed. I have also had one of the people I have worked 1 on 1 with that is a racer at Loudon look the bike over a few times. (Also told me I have gone overboard)

Helmet is brand new for this season, Snell 2015 and only 8 months old. (was on the shelf at the dealership)

My fitness plan does need work. Its never perfect. THis is also the place I need the most work. I have been on the pedal trainer 3 times a week for a while now so my legs are in good shape. But conditioning other muscle groups has been put on lower priority. As for my diet, its ok but could be better. Again open to help and suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    This kid is OCD re: gear and bike. I said it elsewhere; the zip ties will be trimmed and filed as to not irritate the skin. The bearings will have precisely the right amount of grease. Brake reservoirs will filled such that the meniscus curve of the fluid is precisely above the "max" line. Safety wire will be wound to FAA specifications. The extra extension cord running to the tire warmers will be precisely coiled in a 2' radius for round 1. For round 2 the cord will be cut to custom length. He'll probably put tape markers on the garage floor for where his rear stand should be.

I'm not kidding. I had to talk him out of putting MotoGP spec quick connects on his brake lines.

He has a garage and knows a bunch of North garage cats. I think he has support lined up.. and if he doesn't he should message me and I will commit to being there. I can't mentor for shit. Well, I can, but god help him if he listens to me! But I can pull tire warmers and fist pump like a motherfucking pro.

Plus, I'll move all his tools around in his toolbox while he's on track. Leave the ratchets on their sides and put the screwdrivers in the drawers handle first. Turn all the fluid containers around so that a random 1/3rd of them are facing label in. Maybe I'll volunteer to help put numbers on and accidentally wrinkle one of them.
    Don't sell yourself short on the mentoring thing. Everyone that has raced can teach me something. Im new to this racing thing, and goind all OCD on it. But I can always learn.

But bubba is right, all zip ties will be trimmed. Lock wire will be very uniform, tools sorted and organized. Cords taped to the floor. And every night things will be setup for the next day. Im a creature of habit and very ritualistic.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I think that quality will help you a lot. My usual routine of waking up at 7:30, then trying to mount bodywork, change tires, get through tech, get gas, etc has cost me a few morning practices.

Don't sell yourself short on the mentoring thing. Everyone that has raced can teach me something. Im new to this racing thing, and goind all OCD on it. But I can always learn.

But bubba is right, all zip ties will be trimmed. Lock wire will be very uniform, tools sorted and organized. Cords taped to the floor. And every night things will be setup for the next day. Im a creature of habit and very ritualistic.

You'll do well then. Going around the same exact pavements eleventy billion times is perfect for somebody who has to perfect every.little.thing.
    Then you'll figure out that racing other riders is just as fun too.

I could give or take a lap timer on the dash. (Assuming you're using a GPS gizmo) I wouldn't mind seeing the data for comparison(s) afterwards, but I don't want to see it when I'm riding. As someone fast once told me, the only thing you should be concentrating on is: the next corner.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

First off, I apologize if my post in the Countdown thread is what elicited this thread. I was not singling you out specifically, you were just a part of the example that I've seen many times over the years, hence my post.

In regards to the laptimer and dash setup I am working on. Yes for some this is sensory overload. And a lot of you are saying how in the world is any novice going to ever be able to look down at the laptimer and get meaningful data from it. Well when chasing my lap time goals the only reason I went faster was cause I knew where I was slow. I also used the 2015 trackday season to teach my brain how to see the screen out of my peripherals. This worked wonders cause I never thought the straight at loudon was going to net me enough time to look at it. So I started at Thompson to learn how to do this, long straight plenty of time to look. then I transferred this to some of the shorter sections at Thompson, then to the straight at loudon, then to some of the even shorter sections at loudon. So now I can safely look at the timer quickly and see what the time is and if I need to go faster, or not.
    I will only comment on the lap timer as that is, what I feel, got this started.

Racing is not trackdays. Penguin is not racing. When you take your first green flag and complete that first race weekend you will have a clear and new understanding of the differences.

Yes, a laptimer has its benefits but it's not that useful when you are talking about shaving seconds from your laptimes. It's nearly a full admission of this on your part when you stated what happened in order to drop 3 seconds. It didn't come by looking at a laptimer.

That process of large reductions in laptimes is going to be repeated several times over until you find your plateau....the point where you start looking for tenths and hundredths. That is the point in time where you want to start looking into lap timers....the time where you really need to see which section(s) you are slow in.

Additionally, you will be in a race setting. From a safety perspective, ask yourself if you really want to be looking at your laptimes in the middle of a race only to look up and see a bike and body skidding through your intended path. It happens in the blink of an eye and when you're surrounded by everyone who all have the same goal.....that being, to get in front of the bike that's in front of them.....you will not be afforded the time to react. Blink of an eye. That's how fast it happens and it could happen anywhere....yes, even in the straights.

IMO, your best bet is to put full concentration on getting that bike to the front of whichever pack of bikes you're chasing. Learn race craft first and forget about lap times for now. They will come once you start passing people.

I realize some of this comes across as harping.

Banned

I wish you the best and it seems that you have all your ducks in a nice row and are doing it better than most, so kudos to you.
    I used a laptimer when I raced (qstars was not even thought of back then) and I found I would glance at it twice a lap. Once between 10 and 11 to get an idea of if I was at my best lap time 'split' and once going over the start/finish line. It didn't make me faster, it just gave me an idea that I was at my target times (I had been racing a few years and most of my laps were within.2 or so of each other).

As far as rookie advice. I always think that rookies could benefit from learning as much about suspension and geometry as possible. Use other's examples as data to kinda go by, but develop your own setup and keep a book with temp, weather conditions, where your suspension is set, tire pressures, your weight, fuel used, etc etc. Refer to it in future weekends to gain setup knowledge based on these criteria. Suspension and tire pressures are not "set it and forget it" setups.

The other thing I see all the time is rookies spending half a season frustrated at their lap times plateauing and never considering gearing changes. It is essential that you have at least 2 countershaft sprockets, one tooth different from each other and 4 or 5 rear sprockets in a range (say 42-47 or so). Experiment. I always had used turn 2 as a ballpark for gearing. coming out of turn 2, am I stuck between gears? Am I waiting a second or so for my revs to reach the juicy mid-range or am I coming out of 2 already high in the meat of the power band? If so, change gearing to get yourself coming out of 2 right at the start of the meat of the mid-range. Remember, 15/45 is NOT the same as 16/48 as far as geometry is concerned (or revs). You'll need to find the right ratio, then look into variations that optimize wheelbase (swingarm length). You might even have to change the chain to get things dead right, but it WILL pay dividends. Don't fall into the trap of saying "pete gaboriault uses 15/46 and he's wicked fast so i'll use that". your exit speed from corners is way slower and you'll likely be off-cam if you use his setup.

That's about all I have. Have fun, be safe. Don't take chances, nobody likes a risk taker rookie.
    Advance as soon as you can.

Degsy

Banned

One more thing. Keep other peoples hands off your bike. If you need a mechanic or assistant, pick wisely. I (and others I know) have been screwed by well-meaning "helpers". Running out of fuel, loose clip-ons, brake levers unreachable, steering dampener at max tightness or looseness etc are all things I have seen and experienced because my friends wanted to help. Put an exclusion zone around your bike. Also, mark your tools with an engraver. I have gone through 3 sets of $100 safety wire pliers because people accidentally walked off with them at the track. There are some very unscrupulous people at the track. We had a large amount of cash stolen from our trailer one race weekend (thousands, our own fault for leaving it in there I know, but it shows that there are thieves there).

Last edited by Degsy; 02-25-16 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    First off, I apologize if my post in the Countdown thread is what elicited this thread. I was not singling you out specifically, you were just a part of the example that I've seen many times over the years, hence my post.

I will only comment on the lap timer as that is, what I feel, got this started.

Racing is not trackdays. Penguin is not racing. When you take your first green flag and complete that first race weekend you will have a clear and new understanding of the differences.

Yes, a laptimer has its benefits but it's not that useful when you are talking about shaving seconds from your laptimes. It's nearly a full admission of this on your part when you stated what happened in order to drop 3 seconds. It didn't come by looking at a laptimer.

That process of large reductions in laptimes is going to be repeated several times over until you find your plateau....the point where you start looking for tenths and hundredths. That is the point in time where you want to start looking into lap timers....the time where you really need to see which section(s) you are slow in.

Additionally, you will be in a race setting. From a safety perspective, ask yourself if you really want to be looking at your laptimes in the middle of a race only to look up and see a bike and body skidding through your intended path. It happens in the blink of an eye and when you're surrounded by everyone who all have the same goal.....that being, to get in front of the bike that's in front of them.....you will not be afforded the time to react. Blink of an eye. That's how fast it happens and it could happen anywhere....yes, even in the straights.

IMO, your best bet is to put full concentration on getting that bike to the front of whichever pack of bikes you're chasing. Learn race craft first and forget about lap times for now. They will come once you start passing people.

I realize some of this comes across as harping.
    This is excellent advice. And one thing that I do need to work on. My passing skills are lacking, setting up for a pass and completing them is horrible. Since a track day/riding school can only teach you and allow you to do so much.

Yes, it is a bit of a safety thing not to look at the timer, which I don't actually need to stare at the screen on it. It has a nice bright RED led so if I go faster in a sector or for the lap it flashes. Which is also why I have the warning lights at the top of my dash so if they come on there is less looking down that I will have to do. But race craft is my huge thing to learn this season.

Keep the advice coming.

Also no worries on getting the other thread off track. Its probably good that I finally start to post more on this board anyways and also document my progress as well. Ive been a member on here for 2 years now, and haven't posted much until now.

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    One more thing. Keep other peoples hands off your bike. If you need a mechanic or assistant, pick wisely. I (and others I know) have been screwed by well-meaning "helpers". Running out of fuel, loose clip-ons, brake levers unreachable, steering dampener at max tightness or looseness etc are all things I have seen and experienced because my friends wanted to help. Put an exclusion zone around your bike. Also, mark your tools with an engraver. I have gone through 3 sets of $100 safety wire pliers because people accidentally walked off with them at the track. There are some very unscrupulous people at the track. We had a large amount of cash stolen from our trailer one race weekend (thousands, our own fault for leaving it in there I know, but it shows that there are thieves there).
    So heres how I will respond to this one.

First, thanks for seeing that I have some of my ducks in a row. Not many but I do what I can to prepare since being an engineer I have to think of all the outcomes to a problem.

As for the gearing, I have some options, but do need to invest in more to help things along a bit. I also have asked advice of others to get a ball park for a starting point for gearing and setup. My outlook on that is not "run what the fast guy runs cause they are fast" start where they are and adjust according to my style.

Also in regards to my bike, I am open to help. But, as anyone of my friends will say I don't take kindly to someone else turning a wrench on my bike unless I know them really well. Its a mental thing for me and also a safety thing as well. Since your on something that has no cage, you could off easily and at the wrong time and get seriously hurt. If I do have friends that I trust turn a wrench I still double check things since its my butt in the seat.

Banned

So heres how I will respond to this one.

First, thanks for seeing that I have some of my ducks in a row. Not many but I do what I can to prepare since being an engineer I have to think of all the outcomes to a problem.

As for the gearing, I have some options, but do need to invest in more to help things along a bit. I also have asked advice of others to get a ball park for a starting point for gearing and setup. My outlook on that is not "run what the fast guy runs cause they are fast" start where they are and adjust according to my style.

Also in regards to my bike, I am open to help. But, as anyone of my friends will say I don't take kindly to someone else turning a wrench on my bike unless I know them really well. Its a mental thing for me and also a safety thing as well. Since your on something that has no cage, you could off easily and at the wrong time and get seriously hurt. If I do have friends that I trust turn a wrench I still double check things since its my butt in the seat.
    When I experienced issues with "help" it was when I was rushing to repair after a crash. Often you don't get time to check before hopping off and going. I remember one time I went to ride out to hot pit after a frantic repair and couldn't turn the bars left even 1 degree because my steering dampener was installed with all the throw one way. Just an example. I think youre on the right track with keeping as much as you can to only you working on the bike.

respectfully, I'd stay away from the gearing the fast guys are using, unless youre already running in the teens. The chances are it will be way off. I'd start by trying to locate someone with some experience who runs close to your lap times and work from there. Generally, if you plan on being in the same gear coming out of a turn as a fast guy, you'll need to be a tooth or two bigger on the rear sprocket than them, because your corner speed will be much lower. If you plan on being in one gear lower than them (say 2nd instead of 3rd coming out of turn 12 for example) then you might need to be running a tooth or two smaller than them on the rear. Does that make sense?

derek

Viper....is your name Jack?

Viper, are you on an SV?

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    Viper....is your name Jack?
    I believe his real name is Mike Metcalf.

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"