Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Finally (Yates)

Finally (Yates)

I like Yates! Yeah he lost his mind for a minute. So what!
    http://amasuperbike.com/2004/Mar/040315a.htm

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

aka Johnny Valve Stem need4speed's Avatar

Finally (Yates)

I think Yates is a helluva rider, and has made various corporate entities rich off of his success on the track. Would it kill him to apologize to Fania for his blunder. As the article states that Fania had just been passed on the inside by the leaders , so why should he expect otherwise of Yates. Last year Yates lays down on the track to have the race red flagged. Surely it should have, but the action he takes portray him as a nut case. I always enjoy watching him race knowing that he is giving 110 percent. Gary you actually remind me of Yates ( not the nut case part ) in the way you rode on the track.

John
    LRRS\CCS #714
    2004 Duc 620 monster racebike
    89 EX500 racebike - sold
    98 Superhawk 996

"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge it, requires brains".

Finally (Yates)

This just shows that Burns is a fan of Yates and wants more drama in Superbike. Fine, get rid of all but the top 5 racers and then there will be no more problems. GREAT racing that will be. May as well turn it into an MTV RoadRace Rules reality show.

What an asshole.

Just because other sports have violence, it doesn't mean it is ok for it to translate into a non-contact sport. Just imagine if people started encouraging occasional violence on the Tour De France, downhill skiing or marathon races. How is this different?

Crime of Passion? If him running into a lapped rider is as bad as seeing your child raped by a pediphile, then I sure better watch out once I start racing. I'm gunna be on a lotta other racer's shitlist. Or better yet, when I loose because I suck, I guess it will be ok for me to knock out the race winner and not face any conciquences for my actions. After all, I just got sick of loosing and "snapped". Burns, you give a bad name to many decent motorcycle journalists.

Youth may start looking up to professional roadracers like they do currently to motocrossers or free style jumpers. You see any of them getting into violent confrontations? I sure haven't seen many in my years of watching competition. While it is quite normal to have moto-x guys go down while getting stuffed into a corner and they just get back up and keep on racing, Burns wants the fans to think this sort of thing isn't casting a bad shadow on this already asshole dominated sport (minus the Bostrom boys and the Haydens IMO).

Burns, pull your Yates worshipping head outta his ass and stand up for the sport. The biggest fans of this sport are amatuer racers, and if you think it's alright for them to get shit on by the head cheeses in the sport, then you are turning your back on the dwindling fanbase in the US. So go back to bitching about the lack of coverage and publicity regarding racing, then realize you are hurting what you hold so dear.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Finally (Yates)

Good write-up Clayton!

Wow, Burns states that because Yate's cares so much he is prone to throwing tantrums and endangering other riders. That's like the battered woman saying "my husband hits me because he loves me."

2003 Yamaha R6
    1999 Yamaha YZ400

NOT laughing with you {~; bemused's Avatar

Finally (Yates)

Originally posted by kmf
    I don't think he is saying that at all.

I think he is saying that when you put a 110% of yourself into something and something happens to ruin it that you feel shouldn't have happened he can understand why a human being might lose their cool and do something they regret.
    granted.

but for a professional to point that lost cool at somebody else-- physically, and on national TV-- and expect to shrug it off as being emotionally involved in the sport... nah, that just don't hang.

kick the bike... pound the barrier... yell and scream and jump up and down; those woulda been another matter altogether.

I like the way he rides, too... but what Yates did was unacceptable, and deserves a genuine apology.

(but not a frikken lawsuit, fer chrissakes... )

WWSD? (what would Sneakers do?)
    "for every credibility gap, there is a gullibility fill"
    jeff f
    '97 RF900R

Finally (Yates)

Originally posted by TheIglu
    This just shows that Burns is a fan of Yates and wants more drama in Superbike. Fine, get rid of all but the top 5 racers and then there will be no more problems. GREAT racing that will be. May as well turn it into an MTV RoadRace Rules reality show.

What an asshole.

Just because other sports have violence, it doesn't mean it is ok for it to translate into a non-contact sport. Just imagine if people started encouraging occasional violence on the Tour De France, downhill skiing or marathon races. How is this different?

Crime of Passion? If him running into a lapped rider is as bad as seeing your child raped by a pediphile, then I sure better watch out once I start racing. I'm gunna be on a lotta other racer's shitlist. Or better yet, when I loose because I suck, I guess it will be ok for me to knock out the race winner and not face any conciquences for my actions. After all, I just got sick of loosing and "snapped". Burns, you give a bad name to many decent motorcycle journalists.

Youth may start looking up to professional roadracers like they do currently to motocrossers or free style jumpers. You see any of them getting into violent confrontations? I sure haven't seen many in my years of watching competition. While it is quite normal to have moto-x guys go down while getting stuffed into a corner and they just get back up and keep on racing, Burns wants the fans to think this sort of thing isn't casting a bad shadow on this already asshole dominated sport (minus the Bostrom boys and the Haydens IMO).

Burns, pull your Yates worshipping head outta his ass and stand up for the sport. The biggest fans of this sport are amatuer racers, and if you think it's alright for them to get shit on by the head cheeses in the sport, then you are turning your back on the dwindling fanbase in the US. So go back to bitching about the lack of coverage and publicity regarding racing, then realize you are hurting what you hold so dear.
    Did you author that?

Outstanding.

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

Finally (Yates)

Originally posted by kmf
    I don't think he is saying that at all.

I think he is saying that when you put a 110% of yourself into something and something happens to ruin it that you feel shouldn't have happened he can understand why a human being might lose their cool and do something they regret.

Banned

Finally (Yates)

Fine, yes Gary and Kevin, you're right in some respects. Yates simply got into a tantrum (that jumping up and down can only be called a tantrum) because he cares so much.

Yates is a great rider and I will always admire his style. He is great for the sport as he really puts some "showtime" into it.

However, Clayton is right when he says that this sport is mostly supported by the amateurs. The big teams are GIVEN most of the consumables for racing. They endorse them and us amateurs BUY them. Dunlop probably make money selling race tires, but the profit is in the AMATEURS, not the professionals.

There would not be an AMA superbike series if it weren't for the backmarker privateers. There would be no televised races and therefore no money. The attendance at AMA events is pathetic and television is where the cash comes from. A grid of the 8 top riders wouldn't interest the TV companies at all.

Yates had his tantrum wearing brand name leathers, helmet, boots etc etc. He is an ambassador to each and every one of those companies. Even the NESR Racing contracts for our tiny bit of sponsorship have clauses that say we must behave in a businesslike, professional manner while endorsing their products. Yates and his team sign those documents too, and having a tantrum in front of millions of viewers is purely and simply a breach of his contract. Yosh, Sidi and all of his other sponsors have every right to fine him.

He does owe Fania an apology.

If Yates had gone to Fania personally, apologised for his childish behaviour and offered to help him repair his bike then Yates would have come out of this with dignity, respect of fans and probably avoided the fines and ban he was given and maybe even the lawsuit (which is bogus). He could have turned this into a POSITIVE with a little spin doctoring. He didn't, he whined about Fania and that made him look worse than ever.

Bottom line, the passing rider is responsible for passing safely.

Fania qualified for the event fair and square.

Finally (Yates)

Youth may start looking up to professional roadracers like they do currently to motocrossers or free style jumpers. You see any of them getting into violent confrontations? I sure haven't seen many in my years of watching competition. While it is quite normal to have moto-x guys go down while getting stuffed into a corner and they just get back up and keep on racing

your kidding right? you've never seen any violent confrontations in Motocross, in your many years of of watching competition?

Maybe you should've watched last weeks highlights!

I have witnessed plenty of fights on Supercross and Motocross highlights.... what are you talking about?

Yates laying on the track last year was stupid! Nobody even came close to getting hurt.. Get over it people!

His Laguna crash, was a "racing incident". He was goin for it and didn't make it. Unfortunately he took out B-Boz. But crashing and racing go together. I do remember a guy named Mick Doohan taking out a few guys in the first turn. He was "goin for it", made a mistake and took a few guy's out. Shit happens.... Get over it people!

Yes Yates did cause the wreck at Daytona, and yes he should apologize but it won't bother me if he doesn't. I know plenty of us owe apologies, to people who never got one.

Yes there professionals and in some peoples eyes are supposed to act a certain way, but to me there just fast guys on motorcyles. Yes they get paid alot of money, but there still human.

Stop putting these people on a fuckin pedestal. Professional racers and athletes shouldn't be role models. You as a parent should.

It's fine to like all the clean cut good guys, like the Bostroms and Haydens.

I like the Hagas, Yates, Mladins, and ofcourse The Go-Show!

It's a sport. We're supposed to pick different sides.

And no, I didn't think Janet's boob was a big deal either..

Finally (Yates)

Originally posted by Degsy

Yates had his tantrum wearing brand name leathers, helmet, boots etc etc. He is an ambassador to each and every one of those companies. Even the NESR Racing contracts for our tiny bit of sponsorship have clauses that say we must behave in a businesslike, professional manner while endorsing their products. Yates and his team sign those documents too, and having a tantrum in front of millions of viewers is purely and simply a breach of his contract. Yosh, Sidi and all of his other sponsors have every right to fine him.

I take it you never watch Nascar? Well, they have huge sponsors, huge contracts, and they have been known to have a few confrontations.. They name call all the time. Sometimes the drivers fight. Sometimes the pit crews have sort of a Royal Rumble. There are times when the driver will stand in the middle of the track waiting for another driver to come around so he can throw his helmet at him.........

Banned

Finally (Yates)

Originally posted by GMS1000
    I take it you never watch Nascar? Well, they have huge sponsors, huge contracts, and they have been known to have a few confrontations.. They name call all the time. Sometimes the drivers fight. Sometimes the pit crews have sort of a Royal Rumble. There are times when the driver will stand in the middle of the track waiting for another driver to come around so he can throw his helmet at him.........

Doesn't make it right. I don't watch much nascar but I have never seen a fight between crews and name calling is fine, that happens all the time.

I have NEVER seen a driver throw a helmet at a car and I would expect if someone did that thet they should be banned for life. You could easily kill several people with an action like that. I'd like to see documented evidence of someone doing that and check to see what fines/bans they got.

I'm sure that everyone in nascar who does that kind of thing gets punished in some way also which is exatly what I am saying about Yates, he needs to be punished and he has been.

These people (Nascar moreso) are prima-donnas who think they are above the sport and NOBODY is above the sport.

There was an incident in our pits two years ago that was noted by LRRS and Jay and I heard ALL about it down at the press center afterwards. A donation to the injured rider's fund was all that stopped us from being fined/banned for that and it wasn't even violence, just an accident.

derek

Finally (Yates)

Well, since you put it that way, everyone rumble!!!

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

Finally (Yates)

Yes, I wrote that myself.

I think by being someone who is (until later on this season) a spectator who has never raced, I can state in an unbiased fashion what is most likely going through the minds of the non-racing fans. They don't wanna see this kinda shit happening in one of the few non-violent gentlemen's sports left. People root for the underdog and get especially angry when a big-time guy who has already made his money ruins the little guys day, nevermind assaulting him physically. It ruins the spirit of straight competition. This isn't Road Rash, it's a race.

Regarding Nascar: Anyone see the race two weeks ago? Two of the top 10 hit each other with only a few laps left. They spent a solid 15 minutes each telling reporters that it wasn't the other guys fault and they shoulda been looking. What about Earnhardt Jr.? I never saw him go knock out the guy who accidently killed his father. If he can loose his own father in a race and not get violent with the person who started the chain of events, then I really do think Yates could at least keep it to screaming and vulgarities instead of violence, don't you? Crashing is part of racing, but so is being man enough to walk away.

You wanna see this sorta thing become commonplace and not necessarily endorsed but not punished severly, then go play hocky. I sure as hell don't wanna be on the track with you come springtime, cause I'll be that slow guy.

Ever seen Jeremy McGrath get into a brawl? Not me. Ricky Carmicheal? Jeff Emig? Hell, even old school Mike Kadrowski?

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Finally (Yates)

I have NEVER seen a driver throw a helmet at a car and I would expect if someone did that thet they should be banned for life. You could easily kill several people with an action like that. I'd like to see documented evidence of someone doing that and check to see what fines/bans they got.
    derek
    Is this good enuff?
    http://www.frontstretch.com/nance/2003nance/030819.htm

Finally (Yates)

You wanna see this sorta thing become commonplace and not necessarily endorsed but not punished severly, then go play hocky. I sure as hell don't wanna be on the track with you come springtime, cause I'll be that slow guy.

What the Fuck? Do you think I would take you out and want to fight? Let me see.....how can I put this? FUCK YOU!!!

Do you honestly think, because Yate's acted like an Asshole, people are now gonna start fighting after every incident? C'mon! I think guys are gonna be less likely to fight because of it......This is rediculous..forget it...... Your right, Yates is a bad boy. Ban him for life. Send him to reform school or somethin.

Banned

Finally (Yates)

Whatever, you all missed my point entirely. I don't have time to reply in detail now, maybe I will later if I can be bothered.

Upshot is, the next time I am hit from behind (and it has happened 3 or 4 times) I will immediately get up and hopefully kick the other rider in the chest if he is still down, then jump up and down on the spot like a two year old, then head butt him and lie on the track for a red flag. After all, I'm in an angry state of mind, but I'll calm down later and all will be well.

LRRS will have no right to ban me and I have no sponsors to fine me so I'll be in the clear.

Let the fighting commence at Loudon, should be an interesting year.

Finally (Yates)

that's pre-meditated! you should be banned....

Finally (Yates)

What the Fuck? Do you think I would take you out and want to fight? Let me see.....how can I put this? FUCK YOU!!!

Do you honestly think, because Yate's acted like an Asshole, people are now gonna start fighting after every incident? C'mon! I think guys are gonna be less likely to fight because of it......This is rediculous..forget it...... Your right, Yates is a bad boy. Ban him for life. Send him to reform school or somethin.
    I never meant to include anyone in particular in my above post. It was a general wording to address anyone I will be racing with. That is all. If you wanna take it as a personal insult, so be it. If so, it is obvious you want fighting to coincide with racing anyways. If you want to take it just as a general statement to examplifly my point like it was intended, then good for you, you just passed 3rd grade.

If I wanted to get into a sport where it can end up in fighting, I'll go back to playin soccer.

I don't think Yates should have to pay for someones bike. That's part of racing. He should be fined and restricted from racing like the AMA is doing. Then, if he does it again, he's out.

Lets keep this sport somewhat respected in the racing community. I still don't see how anyone who endorses the sport can be for letting this type of action go on.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Finally (Yates)

Whatever, you all missed my point entirely. I don't have time to reply in detail now, maybe I will later if I can be bothered.

Upshot is, the next time I am hit from behind (and it has happened 3 or 4 times) I will immediately get up and hopefully kick the other rider in the chest if he is still down, then jump up and down on the spot like a two year old, then head butt him and lie on the track for a red flag. After all, I'm in an angry state of mind, but I'll calm down later and all will be well.

LRRS will have no right to ban me and I have no sponsors to fine me so I'll be in the clear.

Let the fighting commence at Loudon, should be an interesting year.
    I'm bringin a big lead pipe with me! THAT will make for some good racing...

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Finally (Yates)

and then Lead Pipe Racing was born....

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

Finally (Yates)

And to think i was having a hard time coming up with my ghetto racing team name....

Thanks!!!

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Banned

Finally (Yates)

Originally posted by kmf
    This Yates thing is absolutely ridiculous.

When the people wanted to stone Mary Magdalene to death Jesus stepped in and said, "Let those who are without sin cast the first stones".

All these people bashing Yates on boards all across the internet. I myself did not know there were so many perfect people out there that have never done anything they regret.

That still doesn't mean he shouldn't be punished. Just because no-one is without sin doesn't mean you leave sin unpunished.

I guess no one here knows what it is like to lose their temper in a fit of rage. And I am sure Fania's flipping him Yates off and trading insults with him helped sooth the situation.
    No, but there is a difference between physical violence and verbal abuse. The difference being verbal abuse person to person will not get you fined, physical abuse will, and did get yates fined.

I guess every moment of your lives is a Kodak moment.
    Not quite, but it's a long time since I kicked or head-butted someone.

Second of all, why should Yates pay for Fania's bike? The crash was a racing incident, shit happens.
    Re-read my post. I'm not saying he should have to, but a small gesture of goodwill on the part of Yates and Yosh Suzuki could have gone a long way to putting a different spin on the matter and saving Yates $25,000 and the championship.

It is the passing riders responsibility to make the pass. I interpret that to serve as a deterrent to the passing riders making kamikaze style passes to get around someone. So if Fania all the sudden sat up and decided to do a wheelie and wave to the crowd, it still would have been Yates’ fault because he was the passing rider and it would have been his responsibility? Yates was passing responsibility. The mistake Yates made was thinking that the other rider was competent enough to make it through the turn.
    By being there Fania was competent according to the rules (qualified). If he isn't up to standard then the rules need to be changed. That would lead to less qualifiers and the AMA Superbike series would die.

Racing is supported by the amateurs out there. But that doesn’t mean that every club racer with an expert license should be able to go right out there and race in the top of the sport. Do you go from little league to Fenway Park playing against the Red Sox?
    No, you have to qualify, remember? (see above)

It is a good thing that there is nothing important in the world happening, like 200+ people murdered in Spain by Al Qaida, that we can focus on important things like Yates and what he should do.
    Kevin, this is a motorcycle forum and we're in the pit area. I talk politics and religion with people on a personal level, not on the internet. If you want to discuss Al Qaida we can do that in off topic.

derek

Banned

Finally (Yates)

that's pre-meditated! you should be banned....
    No, it will be a pure reflex caused by the pent-up frustration of the moment, honest.

C'mon now. All I am saying is that Yates action deserved a fine and a one-race ban. I have said that all along and that is what he got.

I checked out the Nascar thing and that guy got a fine and a ban also, so basically the rules are the same.

People seem to intimate that this happens all the time in nascar and no-one ever gets punished for it but that isn't the case.

derek

Finally (Yates)

Controversial Topics This whole thing is !! He kicked and headbutted a ride so he should be punished! If a racer did it at Loudon he would be banned so he got off lite! Just let it go!!

And.......which one of you is going to be racing AMA Superbike any time soon? So

Collision Pros Racing

Finally (Yates)

Aaron, Aaron!!!

May I have your autograph? Please don't hit me!

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast