Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Back from VIR - Pics and stuff

Thumbs up Back from VIR - Pics and stuff

i was pretty intimidated going to a new track, up until this trip NHIS was the only track i'd ever been on. the first day we rode the grand course and it was A LOT to get used to but by the end of the day we were ripping. there were 4 of us that went down there...and we all kept a really fast pace. the second day we rode the north course and i thought that was WAY more fun, its so fast haha....i'm not sure what we were running for lap times but i figured the line out pretty quick and really started working on brake points thought a lot about how to approach certain corners. I can't wait to race there.....

heres some pics....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I was there too, i recognized you from the avatar when you post i meant to say hello to you but forgot, it was my fourth time there and it gets better every time kinda makes loudon look like a parking lot! my only complaint was that i think there was alot of people that should have been in the slower group not that im the fastest guy out there by any means but ther was alot of people in my way whats your opinion?

Part time expert,part time hooligan

no kidding!? wow wish you said hi....yea there were a TON of people that shouldn't have been in the advanced group.

did you hear the announcement on tuesday that was like "just a reminder to some of the advanced group riders, this is a trackday....not a race" haha all 4 of us looked at each other and kinda laughed. we weren't riding dangerously or anything....but there was definitely a good amount of passing going on haha

where you the guy on the motard in the advanced group? what were you riding....

Green zx6 685ex you looked good btw that place is so much fun!

Part time expert,part time hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by roadracer685 View Post
    Green zx6 685ex you looked good btw that place is so much fun!
    thanks man, i think i remember seeing you out there....

and +1...that track is awesome

Nice, Riding new tracks is great. It always feels like you learn it really fast, until the lap timer comes out... Then it's like, Doh! I'm ten seconds of the pace.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Nice, Riding new tracks is great. It always feels like you learn it really fast, until the lap timer comes out... Then it's like, Doh! I'm ten seconds of the pace.
    haha yea. on tuesday i was riding/dicing with some local fast guy and he said he was running like 1:36's on his lap timer....i dunno how true that is, but if thats right i'm pretty proud of myself after looking at the AMA superstock practice times (1:24 to 1:34).

Is the north course the one where you come out of the esses and go up the hill? I rode there last month and never found out which course I was on.... Had a lot of fun there. A real bitch to find the track though. The directions I had didn't mention that you pass into North Carolina briefly before getting there. Will go back.

on the north course you go through the s's and take a right up a hill, right after the bridge....the grand course keeps going straight there and goes up a hill around a couple fast corners and up to the oak tree corner.

Cool. Thanks for that. I thought that was the north course. As it is there are 17 turns in the that course. The grand must be several more. Coming down that hill before the front straight was a bit scary for me. I have always had a bit of vertigo on downhills. The only part of the course where I never gained complete confidence.

Just Registered Crash Dummy Denno's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nixoid View Post
    Cool. Thanks for that. I thought that was the north course. As it is there are 17 turns in the that course. The grand must be several more. Coming down that hill before the front straight was a bit scary for me. I have always had a bit of vertigo on downhills. The only part of the course where I never gained complete confidence.

i had a wet shit in my leathers moment there - not a fun/ forgiving place to run wide - luckily i just looked ahead

an instructor came over in a nice thick redneck voice, "ooooweeee, a lesser man would've ran it into the woods there, wooo!" LOL i love the accents

Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2008

Quote Originally Posted by nixoid View Post

haha yea its definitely a mental challenge to get through there fast...that was one of my favorite parts though, if you set it up right you're already doing like 100 when you come onto the straight, dragging a knee through both those right hand corners....SO fun

Quote Originally Posted by RyanNicholson View Post
    haha yea. on tuesday i was riding/dicing with some local fast guy and he said he was running like 1:36's on his lap timer....i dunno how true that is, but if thats right i'm pretty proud of myself after looking at the AMA superstock practice times (1:24 to 1:34).

36's are a good pace at VIR North. If I recall I did mid-40's on Pete's clapped out 2000 ZX6 streetbike (aka: The Highsider) in the Intermediate group 2 years ago. After that I looked up times and yea, mid 30's were pretty solid.

Fun track thou. Can't wait to ride it again.

Boston --> San Diego