Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

I'm looking to get into ice racing - any advice?

I'm looking to get into ice racing - any advice?

I guess the first question is race venue - I'm in the Boston Metro area (Somerville) so I'm thinking about doing the Sturbridge races. Does anybody here compete / hang out there?

I heard there also might be some places to ride near Nashua, but I haven't heard of any specific race series.

The second question would be around bike / gear.

I have a KTM 520SX, some Fredette's mounted up, and a cold weather / no fog helmet, and some knee / elbow pads courtesy of Walmart, and snowboarding gear, but that's about it.

As far as bikes,

I hit a pond in upstate NY this weekend and had a blast.

I was very comfortable on my friend's CRF 450.

On my bike....ehh....if anybody wants to grab a beer sometime we can talk about that happens when you ride the ice after the shop mounts your rear tire backwards

So I don't know at this point how my bike will ride when the tire is on the right way, but it is set up as a roadracing sumo.

My friend's bike had some other tweaks to it for the ice.

I remember his bike was set to run rich and his suspension was lowered.

Is there anything else I should do?

Any tips would be appreciated!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Where are we going?...and why am I in this handbasket?"
    LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

Re: I'm looking to get into ice racing - any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Ductard View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMRy8hpiNvM
    So I don't know at this point how my bike will ride when the tire is on the right way, but it is set up as a roadracing sumo.
    My neighbor mounted his backwards at first as well...it was night and day when it was flipped around in the proper direction

Yamaha

I'm following this conversation closely...but have nothing to add.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
    I'm following this conversation closely...but have nothing to add.
    Yeah, wasn't really expecting to hear crickets chirping on the subject from this group.

I saw that you were asking some questions on the Sturbridge page. Are you thinking about racing this Sunday?

LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

I saw that you were asking some questions on the Sturbridge page. Are you thinking about racing this Sunday?
    No, but if they have the races(I believe they are very weather dependent) I was thinking about going as a spectator to scope it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
    No, but if they have the races(I believe they are very weather dependent) I was thinking about going as a spectator to scope it out.
    I might jump on the spectator bandwagon and see you there...please post up here if you find out its on or not

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Yeah, wasn't really expecting to hear crickets chirping on the subject from this group.

To my knowledge the majority of the people on this message board that ride on the ice do it as a recreational activity. There are a couple of guys that I have heard that race/raced down in Sturbridge but they have been few and far between.

A few guys that I know off the top of my head that do/have raced in Sturbridge are Bill Rowe and Glenn Coolbeth. Not sure if either one of them is on NESR but you may be able to pick their brains on Facebook if so inclined.

God luck and most of all have fun doing it!

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    I might jump on the spectator bandwagon and see you there...please post up here if you find out its on or not
    Will do Gary.
    Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    To my knowledge the majority of the people on this message board that ride on the ice do it as a recreational activity.
    This is my primary interest, also. I expect most of my ice riding will be screwing around on a pond with people I know, but I'm interested in at least scoping out the Sturbridge thing.

I go to Hamilton at least once per year to spectate. It's fun. I do get a kick out of seeing the little kids fly around the track. And I can get my fill of B.T.'s on the way home.

They update this FB page frequently regarding the races/ice condition

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sturb...52954604756438

Last edited by McBiggity; 01-06-15 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    My neighbor mounted his backwards at first as well...it was night and day when it was flipped around in the proper direction
    heads out to check rear tire...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Im a Little late to the party here but i raced sturbridge on sunday. It was my first ice race ever. Saturday was only my second time on the ice and my first with a big bIke.

-As far as saftey equipment
    Ice fenders. Rule is they must cover below axle line. Most of these are home made with some scrap metal, threaded rod and mx front fender. They usually use the threaded rod through the axles like axle sliders to bolt on and then tie in somewhere else to keep it from rotating. In the front that's usually the axle pinch or fork guard bolts. They extended forward and used a large hose clamp around the swingarm.

-tether switch. They don't want the bike taking off across the lake.

Other tips.

Get your practice in BEFORE raceday. Practice is complete bullshit. They gave us 4 laps. 4 FUCKING laps.

Sign up for as many classes as possible. There are a shit ton so if you only run 1 like i did you forget why your even there.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I definitely wanted a tether after my first ice ride. Any suggestions on reasonable options?

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Quote Originally Posted by repete513 View Post
    Im a Little late to the party here but i raced sturbridge on sunday. It was my first ice race ever. Saturday was only my second time on the ice and my first with a big bIke.
    No kidding, I did head up to watch, probably saw you out there. What classes/bike/number were you running?

I was on a friends yz450f #915 running open am.

Quote Originally Posted by repete513 View Post
    I was on a friends yz450f #915 running open am.
    No kidding! I remember the bike specifically, we actually weren't sure of the number because of the stylized font, at first I thought it might have been 816(my old LRRS number).

Yeah its a hard bike to mis. Its Loud AF. The previous owner also worked all kinds of vodoo magic on it to make it a gnarly flat tracker. BUILT engine, and all kinds of hacks to the frame for lowering and carb fitment.

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    I definitely wanted a tether after my first ice ride. Any suggestions on reasonable options?
    Amazon.com: tether kill switch

Speaking from zero experience, I bet it's hard to go wrong with any of these. Except that there are two types, NC (Normally Closed) and NO (Normally open).

NO kills the engine by closing the kill circuit and drawing current away (but apparently not from the ignition circuit itself, from what I read online that is bad).

I haven't bought one yet because I'm not 100% sure whether my bike would take an NO or NC.

My current bike is an '02 KTM 520SX.
    The dedicated ice bike that is likely to get added to the stable is an '05 CRF 250.

I checked the service manual to try to figure out which one the KTM took, but I'm at like a 101 level at reading schematics and this is a little over my head.

I called a dealer to make sure, and it looks like they're having to dig quite a bit to find out.
    Attached Files Attached Files

LRRS 919

Just unplug your existing switch, and stick a multimeter on the two contacts. Set the multimeter to resistance, and watch what happens when you press the button. If you get infinity resistance when not pressing the button, you've got a normally open setup. If you get continuity when you're pressing the button, you've got a normally closed setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Just unplug your existing switch, and stick a multimeter on the two contacts. Set the multimeter to resistance, and watch what happens when you press the button. If you get infinity resistance when not pressing the button, you've got a normally open setup. If you get continuity when you're pressing the button, you've got a normally closed setup.
    Yeah, turns out that's looking easier than finding it in the service manual.

That helps with the KTM, but not the CRF - 'cause I haven't picked it up yet.

If anybody knows anything on that one just let me know.

LRRS 919

I wear my leatt brace on the ice. I highsided and landed on my head last year, and the brace did it's job.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    I wear my leatt brace on the ice. I highsided and landed on my head last year, and the brace did it's job.
    Any specific model you recommend?

Looks like they have several upwards of $400....

LRRS 919

It's the same one I use for dirt. I bought it a couple years ago when they were first gaining popularity. It looks like the one in the first link, but they used to call it the club model, or something. If I were buying now, I'd probably grab the one in the second link, but I haven't researched the new models, like when I was in the market.

Kart - Neck Braces | LeattŪ | Protective Neck Braces, Body Armour & Sports Gear

GPX 4.5 - Neck Braces | LeattŪ | Protective Neck Braces, Body Armour & Sports Gear

Lifer

We discussed neck braces a little here: http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...eck-brace.html

I bought an atlas. Haven't even had a chance to ride with it yet. But I liked the price.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    If you get infinity resistance when not pressing the button, you've got a normally open setup. If you get continuity when you're pressing the button, you've got a normally closed setup.
    isnt that the same thing? if i have resistance NOT touching the button, then wouldnt i NOT have resistance with it pressed?

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    isnt that the same thing? if i have resistance NOT touching the button, then wouldnt i NOT have resistance with it pressed?
    Bah, yeah, should have said if you've got continuity when not pressing the button... dropped a not in there. D-oh!