Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Mat's complaining again.

Banned

Mat's complaining again.

Not sure if you are aware but Mat Mladin was given a sportsman's award recently and used the award to get on his soap box again. This time he is complaining that the Australian national anthem is not played when he wins a race. Anyway, there are many comments on www.roadracingworld.com about this. Here's one that got published and it's from B.J Worsham, a racer up at Loudon that I know.

<<< For the past 2 years during the LRRS/CCS club races in Loudon, NH, (NHIS) the Canadian and American National anthems have often been sung by a pretty young lady with an amazing vocal range. (Kind of a requirement to singing our anthem well, if you ask me.)

It was a tradition apparently started many years back when there was an active CAN-AM series, done to respect the riders who were coming south to race. When I was a rookie 7 years ago, the singing of ANY anthem at the races was kind of hit-or-miss ... maybe once a year. After 9/11, however, our national anthem has been sung for pretty much every event.

I've stood in when the other girl has been unavailable, and occasionally other racers or crewmembers request permission to sing. It brings a interesting bit of variety to the weekend ... and, inevitably, some wonderfully, err, human comments about comparative vocal abilities. (One man's Pavarotti is another's Public Enemy, it seems.)

Disregarding the catty chatter, it's more interesting how people who are fearless enough to get out on a racetrack -- with all its inherent dangers -- are terrified at the prospect of singing publicly. Trying to get others to even sing as a quartet has been like pulling teeth.

Still, whether I'm singing or listening, that brief period at the track is one of my most favorite: The announcer telling everyone to turn towards the hill where the flagpoles are, mechanics putting down their tools, groggy racers stepping out of their vans to stand and pay their respects, ... the hush ... and then the song ...

It is a crystalline, precious moment.

In the end there's always a cheer, and the sound of clapping rising up over the paddock. Then the mechanics pick up their tools, the sleepy racers climb back into their vans to finish their naps, and the announcer calls the first race.

You are missing out if your club doesn't have this tradition.

B.J. Worsham
    LRRS #31
    Old Westbury, New York>>

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

its the squeeky wheelthat gets oiled thoe

+ he got 2 b right hes on a suzuki

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

Mat's complaining again.

They should play it.

Collision Pros Racing

Mat's complaining again.

Regardless of whether they play it or not, he is still acting like an ass. "I'm not gonna stand for your anthem 'cause you're not playing mine" is a poor attitude in my mind.

2003 Yamaha R6
    1999 Yamaha YZ400

Mat's complaining again.

Originally posted by bentbryan
    Regardless of whether they play it or not, he is still acting like an ass. "I'm not gonna stand for your anthem 'cause you're not playing mine" is a poor attitude in my mind.
    He won the championship how many times now. You would think they would have played for him by now. I would be a little pissed too, because in Europe they do it for the winner. What would be the big deal if they did it here!

Collision Pros Racing

Banned

Mat's complaining again.

Originally posted by Collision pro
    He won the championship how many times now. You would think they would have played for him by now. I would be a little pissed too, because in Europe they do it for the winner. What would be the big deal if they did it here!
    They only do it for the winner of the WORLD championship races, not the British Superbike (national series)

degs

Mat's complaining again.

I think they should play some hard rock instead so I can get pumped up to go fast.

Banned

Mat's complaining again.

Originally posted by kip
    I think they should play some hard cock instead so I can get pumped up to go fast.

Mat's complaining again.

Originally posted by kip
    I think they should play some hard rock instead so I can get pumped up to go fast.
    You don't need hard rock, you just need to sign up for contingency!

Collision Pros Racing

Mat's complaining again.

Will never do that again. I ended up with a crashed bike the 1 time I did it.