Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Wookie's race report - week 1 and 2

Wookie's race report - week 1 and 2

Recap of week one: This was my first real race weekend. I had done my rookie race and a couple of races the last weekend of last year, but the whole weekend was like one big rookie race.

Saturday morning I'm feeling really good and drop two seconds off my fastest lap in practice. However I knew there was more time there because I wasn't going 100%.

First race is MWSS. Starting on the front row and hopping for a halfway decent start. The flag dropps and I get a weak ass start. Dive into turn 1 and 1a with bikes all around me.

Enter turn 2 and run right into a green kawi laying on the ground. Even as I'm hiting the ground all I can think of is "I can't believe I just crashed."

Jeff offers to loan my his bike for the rest of the weekend, but I'm banged up and call it for the rest of the weekend.

Week Two: Just bought a new bike. I get a few laps in Thursday practice and I hate the bike. I feel awful on it. Nothing wrong with the bike, it is just me. I want my F4i back.

By Saturday morning the bike and I are begiing to get along. With a bunch of changes (e.g., stomp grip and dropping the forks) the bike feels halfway ridable.

Unfortunately, there is something wrong with the brakes (kind of freezing up on me). I spend all day Saturday changing the rotors, cleaning the calipers repeatedly, changing the brake fluid, and finally putting on a new master cylinder. Finally, the brakes feel right. Unfortunately I miss all my races on Saturday.

Sunday morning and I'm eager to finally get into a race. My goal at this point is just to complete a race....I hadn't made it through a race since last year and it is starting to get to me (lots of spent $$$ and no racing).

I'm most nervous about starting, I didn't really get to practice them on my new bike and I suck at them anyway.

Race 1 I'm in GTU and I though I was in the second wave. Wrong. The bikes fly past me and the starter wildly waves his arms. Oh fuck, what a retard I am. I catch up to a few riders and pass a few. Not a great race, but I got my times down to 1:27s. I was hoping for more.

Race 5 MWGP. Once again I get a crappy start. I finally get by a few people and find a half lap of open track. Then I get behind a group of 3 bikes battleing it out. I can't get past them and finish toward the back of the pack.

My times looked like this

1:29
    1:26 (only time I had some open track.
    etc.

Clearly I need to work on passing and starting. Seems like I shouldn't have trouble getting by folks that are 3 seconds slower.

The next race weekend can't get here soon enough. My goal is finishing top 20% and getting my times down to 1:24s.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2006 Triumph Speed Triple - Street
    2003 R6 - Track
    2000 SV650 - Street/Track

That's right, back to a 2 cylinder, 3 cylinder, and a 4 cylinder.

Re: Wookie's race report - week 1 and 2

THem damn green bikes are the work of the devil.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Sucks to hear about all the problems. Hopefully everything is sorted by next race weekend.

What year is the R6?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
    Sucks to hear about all the problems. Hopefully everything is sorted by next race weekend.

What year is the R6?
    2003 - I'll post up a picture later.

As of now, everything with the bike is 100% - I'm the only thing holding the bike back.

2006 Triumph Speed Triple - Street
    2003 R6 - Track
    2000 SV650 - Street/Track

That's right, back to a 2 cylinder, 3 cylinder, and a 4 cylinder.

Nice work wookie. Persistence pays, glad to see you out there finally on Sunday Can;t wait to grid up with you next weekend!

And protect your leathers from the perverts! lol

Supa Motarded! If you see me backin it in, keep watching...Im about to crash

Zip Tie Alley #237

Those are good times for going out on a new bike. I think you should be able work down to a :24 pretty quick. I'll catch you up there next weekend.