Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Wow! Spec fuel announcement

I was suprised to hear that LRRS is going to a spec fuel arrangement. I'm sure the conspiracy theories are already being formed. I have never really heard of this issue. I will say it'll be nice not getting gassed out of the garages by the guys running the ultra-stinky fuels. It doesn't affect me at all, but I'm sure some guys will need to retune their bikes for the sunoco unleaded.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Need more details.

You talking pump gas only or the expensive track fuel?

Adam
    http://www.webcrush.com

AMA FX#60 SBK#160
    WERA #60

The main reason is health issues. Most of the "good stuff" is very very toxic.(actually, all of it.)

It is going to be Sunoco from the pumps at the track or pump gas from a yet to be determined gas station close to NHIS. It has to be this way for testing reasons.

I think its a great idea. It sort of evens the playing field and lots of money will be saved every weekend.

And for all you conspiracy theorists, don't waste your time trying to figure out who's getting the kickback. It's got nothing to do with that.

More details will follow as so as they are finalized.

Last edited by mmracer37; 02-04-07 at 01:16 PM.
    Mike 37

Even if there is a "kick-back incentive" for this...which i doubt, it still evens the playing feild.

********* **** Racing
    LRRS #293

I would want to make sure pump gas would still be legit. The Sunoco stuff doesn't really have any benefit other than being too pricey. Their super high octane just hurts typical engines.

Adam
    http://www.webcrush.com

AMA FX#60 SBK#160
    WERA #60

I hope you guys carry 87.

In all seriousness, won't the change force people who have highly tuned engines to run a lower compression or alter timing?

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post

In all seriousness, won't the change force people who have highly tuned engines to run a lower compression or alter timing?
    Cha-Ching.........

********* **** Racing
    LRRS #293

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post

Doubt it. The 100 octane Sunoco at the track is for higher compression engines. Example: My new RMZ doesn't run so hot on 93 but runs fine on 100 due to the slightly increased compression. The U4 gas (which is extremely potent stuff) just has higher oxygen content, not higher octane, and that's what the HP boost came from in that particular fuel.

That rule announcement was great news. Having always been in the 'Have Not' category of racing gas.. (meaning I run pump gas) it's only a good thing IMO to my teammates and I.

Boston --> San Diego

although the octane rating isn't much higher....it will still require some de-tuning.

********* **** Racing
    LRRS #293

Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post
    That rule announcement was great news. Having always been in the 'Have Not' category of racing gas.. (meaning I run pump gas) it's only a good thing IMO to my teammates and I.
    I'm with Alex here. Good for the have nots.

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

How many people on a club level actually have such a high compression ratio that a really high octane is required? Most of the stuff we ride can be tuned to run excellent on a 93 octane fuel. For the cases that do require a higher rating, the Sunoco will work just fine. I know I'll probably be corrected on this but, any motor will make the most power using the lowest octane rating it can handle without compression detonation(knocking). Like I said before, it's takes a lot of compression to detonate 100 octane before the plug fires. I know there are more variables too, but I don't want to type all day. My point is just that not to many bikes are that hopped up.

Mike 37

And for the really high compression engines, just sneak in some Methanol

Mike 37

I know I'll probably be corrected on this but, any motor will make the most power using the lowest octane rating it can handle without compression detonation(knocking).

You are correct.

********* **** Racing
    LRRS #293

So I am confused. Does this mean that we can only get our gas from a specified source yet to be determined? Meaning I can't stop at Cumberland farms on my way to the track? I will need to use "X" brand gas from "X" gas station?

Does this also mean that they are going to test your gas to see where it came from? I am confused.

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Quote Originally Posted by rmbbikes View Post
    So I am confused. Does this mean that we can only get our gas from a specified source yet to be determined? Meaning I can't stop at Cumberland farms on my way to the track? I will need to use "X" brand gas from "X" gas station?

Does this also mean that they are going to test your gas to see where it came from? I am confused.

KB
    You got it. No cumberland farms allowed. It will be one specific gas station only. The reason for this is the testing procedure. Each fuel manufacturer has different "ingredients"(for lack of a better word), so it has to be one only. Testing WILL be done randomly. If you aren't using the "one" or the Sunoco from the track, penalties will be handed out. I don't have info regarding the penalties though.

Mike 37

There are benefits, NH gas is usually cheaper than other states in the area and you won't have to transport explosives

Mike 37

So I just have to find a cheap Sunoco somewhere and fill up....does it matter if I use 87?

What is the gas station right down the street from the track?

I dunno, not liking the sounds of this. Makes for something else to think about come race weekends. Wouldn't it be easier just to test for harmful race gas?

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Lifer

But there will be a gigantic line at X gas station on the way to the track. This seems a little too far to me.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Fuck it. I'm runnin diesel.

Do any other CCS clubs do this?

What brand coffee do we have to drink in the morning?

I can see it now. Two signs. First at the gas station: "OUT OF GAS". Second at the track: "NO REFUNDS GIVEN FOR RACE ENTRY FEES".

I'm no scientist but wouldn't the testing have to be pretty expensive and difficult? Wouldn't it be easier to test for harmful race gas instead?

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

When I'm done mowing the lawn any left over gas goes into the EX 500lawnmower. I highly doubt they will be handing down any fines cuz I filled up with 'Discount Dan's' fuel down the street.

For my class, Production Twins, I couldn't believe people were actually using VP fuels. Christ, we are the cheapest mo fo's out there! I proposed a rule just for us to not use VP because the whole point of our class is to be on the same machines and let the rider decide it. What difference does it matter if we're all equal using $28.00 a gallon fuel, or $2.xx a dollar crap!?

I used the VP at the last race in October because I was 2 points behind the leader, and he used that fuel. Did it help my crappy EX? Who knows? But after getting the stuff home, draining the tank, and finding out the whiole damn house smells of it even with the can outside, I said this is too much for me.

Now the guys who are at the top of the game on the real race bikes may have a problem, but again, everybody was using the same thing anyway, and spending too much for it. I say good on LRRS!

Mark Dages 454

CCS LRRS #454

I can't believe you guys bitch about where you'll have to buy gas from. What a buncha sissies. You'd think we were a sewing circle not a motorcycle racing club. I think 9 outta every 10 racer I know buys gas from the Shell .5 miles from the track anyhow or the Zebra station just off the highway. Yea, HUGE LINES out the door I'm sure. OH THE HUMANITY.

If anything the fellow Gas Station Joe's (like myself) should be thrilled.

PS: Canadian Superbike and World Superbike have spec-tires. Moto-ST has spec tires and gas. This isn't exactly revolutionary tactics. LRRS is the first club org, but I reckon won't be the last, to adopt these measures.

FWIW: Jerry Wood cited John Ulrich, Sean Clarke and Kevin Cameron as influences in this decision. I mean, those four guys are just a bunch of podunk hillbillies however looking to make life hard for us club racers.

Last edited by a13x; 02-04-07 at 05:02 PM.
    Boston --> San Diego

Scott
    1990 Honda Hawk NT700 (rebuilt?)
    2012 Ducati Streetfighter 848 (retarded fun)

Pulled off here: LRRS bans race fuel for 2007 season - 13x Forums

This discussion has been going on for a while, and when it was looked at again during the 2007 LRRS rules meeting the positives seemed to far outweigh any negatives. John Ulrich talked about this in a post a while back when discussing how to fix roadracing in the United States, and I whole-heartedly agreed with his idea on race fuel. Although John didn't have any involvement in the LRRS decision, when asked what my opinion was on this subject I expressed to both the officials and LRRS racers that I was behind this initiative and cited John's article as a means of support.

The details of how this is rule is carried out will be fine tuned as this season progresses, but I personally feel that having an inexpensive spec fuel should be a standard the all race organizations adopt. As more toxic & expensive fuels are developed, everyone is forced to spend more and more money in order to be competitive. The racing does not improve, the racers become poorer and the fuel companies get richer. These expensive fuels not only have significant (negative) monetary impact each weekend, but also have vapors that are clearly toxic to breate - and also regularly damage motors when not completely flushed out (at minimum) every race weekend.

I again commend the officials at LRRS for their decision, and hope that all racing organizations in the US (the AMA certainly included) are encouraged to follow this trend and mandate that their racers use a safer, less expensive, less toxic fuel when participating in their series.

I do not read or post on the message boards but once of twice a year, but I thought this subject to be worthy of all of our time. Thanks for the opportunity to chime in on this topic.

Eric Wood

Boston --> San Diego

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

i use pump gas. my bike seems to run the same whether its 87 or 93. i guess the only thing i fear is that lets say they choose the X station to be the Shell down the road (since thats where most get thier fuel from anyways) Shell finds/catches on that we have to use their gas and BAM! gas prices go up $.50 on race weekends. i dont see how they can determine different gas brands when the fuel truck around here delivers to all the gas stations on the same road (Shell, Sunoco, and a no name) but whatever. is it gonna be a Sunoco or "X" only so i can get it from around my house if there is ever the "gas hike of NHIS"?

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

I can't believe you guys bitch about where you'll have to buy gas from. What a buncha sissies. You'd think we were a sewing circle not a motorcycle racing club. I think 9 outta every 10 racer I know buys gas from the Shell .5 miles from the track anyhow or the Zebra station just off the highway. Yea, HUGE LINES out the door I'm sure. OH THE HUMANITY.

I can't beleive you actually made that comment?? Then again, knowing you're friends with who's in charge, you agree with everything even if it is a stupid idea.

Forcing people to buy PUMP GAS at a certain gas station? Give me a fucking break, whoever thought that up is truely a moron!!! Is it even legal?

"IF" I were still racing, you can bet your ass I'd be buying gas at whatever station is convenient for ME...and you could take your fine and shove it up your ass if I got cought.... of course that won't happen with me because I'm never racing with LRRS again and I'm never volunteering my time as a corner worker again.
    This business (LRRS) continues to keep taking more and more from it's customers and giving nothing in return...oh well, I guess when you're the only show in town, it gives you the right to treat people like shit!!!

Yamaha

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast