Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

WSBK Series with a spec class

WSBK Series with a spec class

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2009/Oct/091030a.htm

haven't seen anymore info on any other sites. Could be interesting, but I'll wait to see what the bikes will be first.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Re: WSBK Series with a spec class

The guy running the ship has an affiliation with the Triumph team...

CCS/LRRS #83

Call me crazy, but from a racing standpoint whats BAD about a spec series? That way, things come down to the rider. How many times on this board has the phrase "if only Jeff had a better bike" been said. On one hand, I like racing where technology can be developed for the bike. But on the other, spec racing is as equal as can be, and leave it all up to the rider.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Call me crazy, but from a racing standpoint whats BAD about a spec series? That way, things come down to the rider. How many times on this board has the phrase "if only Jeff had a better bike" been said. On one hand, I like racing where technology can be developed for the bike. But on the other, spec racing is as equal as can be, and leave it all up to the rider.
    Nobody said it was bad did they? I don't think anything is really bad about it, it's just a different. A lot of time the racing is good or better than what you might see in non-spec classes. I think the non-spec classes draw the most headlines because it is the best of everything; riders, bikes, teams, etc. Yeah, we do say a lot, if only Jeff had a better bike, but in reality I (would have thought) the guys that are paying these riders have a better idea of how to pick their riders than I do.

edited based on the comment from alex

Last edited by BMFR6; 10-30-09 at 01:15 PM.
    LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

Read the WERA forums if you dont think people think its bad. The worst insult anyone can give motorcycle racing is compare it to Nascar. At least thats what they think.
    And dont tell me you TRULY believe that someone like Jeff can get a ride just as easily as Ben or the Haydens or anything. To make it in before this year AMA, and even this years AMA it was a whole lot of bike. If you didnt have the bike, you're not gonna be able to compete. Nothing against those guys, skill plays a ruge role, but the availability/cost of bike made a huge difference.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by BMFR6 View Post
    I think the guys that are paying these riders have a better idea of how to pick their riders than I do.
    You'd be surprised.

Boston --> San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Read the WERA forums if you dont think people think its bad. The worst insult anyone can give motorcycle racing is compare it to Nascar. At least thats what they think.
    And dont tell me you TRULY believe that someone like Jeff can get a ride just as easily as Ben or the Haydens or anything. To make it in before this year AMA, and even this years AMA it was a whole lot of bike. If you didnt have the bike, you're not gonna be able to compete. Nothing against those guys, skill plays a ruge role, but the availability/cost of bike made a huge difference.
    I don't visit wera, no idea what they are saying. I think I can understand the nascar perspective, but i don't really agree with it. no, i'm not saying that jeff has as much of a chance getting on a top team as hayes or someone right now. obviously the top teams are going to stick with the current rotation of riders. what i'm saying, the factory guys didn't just fill out an application and get a yosh suzuki, at least i hope they didn't. they have had to prove themselves as well. having a spec class helps the younger guys do that.

Last edited by BMFR6; 10-30-09 at 12:54 PM.
    LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post
    You'd be surprised.
    That's pretty sad but I guess it's like any other business, you'll always find people that are in positions they don't deserve or aren't the most qualified for. Maybe it's who they know, who their family is, how much sponsorship dollars they can bring in, etc. I guess that would be why I would like to see more spec racing. If all things are equal and jeff and hayden are racing a spec class and jeff is cleaning up every weekend, I would hope a factory sbk team would pick up jeff due to performance over tommy and the hayden name.

but at the end of the day, i also think spec racing should just be a support class, i still want to see the best guys on the best equipment trying to put together the best team and the best set up.

Last edited by BMFR6; 10-30-09 at 01:11 PM.
    LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

Gotcha, misunderstood what you said. I basically agree with you, id rather see spec series than not in a lot of cases.

Zip Tie Alley #505

So long as the spec series is a series to allow riders to show their talent to move up, I'm all for it. Spec < Superstock < Supersport < Superbike

CCS/LRRS #83

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    So long as the spec series is a series to allow riders to show their talent to move up, I'm all for it. Spec < Superstock < Supersport < Superbike
    x2... and i'm not convinced we need one at the WSBK level.

ama, sure... WSBK - no. I would hope that somebody has proven themselves already before running WSBK

If you want a good example of a "spec" class, check out "Spec Miata". That class is designed to be cost effective, and showcase the drivers. They have formulas to even things out a bit between the various years, but you know how that goes{$$$}. Mazda doesn't get the same benefit from this, since most drivers have a shoestring budget, compared to multi brand non spec racing. Many of these guys are still seriously campaigning first gen. Miatas. Certainly very little "Race on Sunday, Sell on Monday" benefit going on there. When a spec class revolves around a single make, it can't help but focus on the driver/rider. Nascar doesn't count, because even though it is almost completely spec, the cars are still pretending to be different brands. Many of us forget that non-spec classes are there to showcase the machine that the manufacturers want you to buy, NOT the riders. The riders/teams are hired to help best represent the machine. Sure, the better they do, the better for them on many levels. A one brand spec series, might do a better job showcasing a really hungry rider, knowing his machine isn't any better than his rivals. To be,,, umm, democratic, the sanctioning body could have a competitive bid process for what machine would be used. Maybe it could be for a specific number of seasons, then open up the bid again. In pure spec form, I'm for it.

Nobody said anything about replacing WSBK, what's wrong w/ a world-level class to come up through?? In MotoGP you have 125's then 250's. 125's have shown that a rider can make a huge difference.... but even with 600's, there are brands that continually dominate. Good luck riding a Suzuki 600 in World Supersport, they've been nowhere near the front for years now. I think a spec class is exactly what they need.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    x2... and i'm not convinced we need one at the WSBK level.

ama, sure... WSBK - no. I would hope that somebody has proven themselves already before running WSBK

CCS/LRRS #83

Even with a spec class, it still comes down to rider and set up. The redbull rookies cup has shown that.

-John

"It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast,.. than to ride a fast bike slow."

07 Husky SM510R

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby View Post
    If you want a good example of a "spec" class, check out "Spec Miata".

Zip Tie Alley #505

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

there are a lot of spec classes out there. i know there is a super duke series, and a BMW something (R1100?) series, im sure theres more. as long as its something cool...and by cool i mean not a 675 series

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Looks like its going to be the 675 after all...just not the one you'd expect. Name also changed from the "World Series" to the "European Series."

ParkinGo European Series to use Triumph Street Triple 675R

An interesting choice, nonetheless. I really like the Street Triple R, might be a good chance to see what its really made of...although I'm sure they're also going to try and market the hell out of the bike itself.

2010 ParkinGo European Series Calendar:

April 11 – Valencia, Spain
    April 25 – Assen, Netherlands
    May 9 – Monza, Italy
    June 27 – Misano, Italy
    July 11 – Brno, Czech Republic
    Aug. 8 – Donington Park, England
    Sept. 5 – Nurburgring, Germany

You get no commercial advantage by racing against yourself. This is the main reason why spec series are not favored by many companies.

You get bragging rights by beating others on the same product. Rights that can be turned into commercial advantage. Ad campaigns can be built around your respective products Championship.

Renault cannot brag about winning Formula Renault. Bridgestone cannot brag about winning in F1 - in fact they are leaving F1 after 2010 after being the spec tire for the last few years.

Spec racing is close racing - 883 racing was a GREAT SERIES at the Nationals - but did it sell 883's? Did the Seca 2 series sell more Seca 2's?

Pirelli is the spec tire is WRC, and they may leave that series,too. In the end, does a spec product sell more of the same.

Putting his hands in the air, like he just doesn't care.
    Check out my eBay store!
    Dave - Motorace - Michelin