Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Infield Camping advice

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Infield Camping advice

We're looking to go the camping route this season to save some $$$. For those who are camping in tents in the infield, what are you using for tents? Why did you choose that? How do they do on rainy day/nights?

We were thinking of going the truck bed tent route, but that's not looking too good, since there isn't a separation between the bed and cab of the Ridgeline. This is necessary in order to have water run off the truck. With the Ridgeline, the water would run off the tent and directly into the bed, running under the tent. It's also a pain in the ass to have to disassemble if we needed to use the truck while up at the track.

I'm a camping newbie, so any help is appreciated.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

Re: Infield Camping advice

Quote Originally Posted by 07BladeRider View Post
    We're looking to go the camping route this season to save some $$$. For those who are camping in tents in the infield, what are you using for tents? Why did you choose that? How do they do on rainy day/nights?

We were thinking of going the truck bed tent route, but that's not looking too good, since there isn't a separation between the bed and cab of the Ridgeline. This is necessary in order to have water run off the truck. With the Ridgeline, the water would run off the tent and directly into the bed, running under the tent. It's also a pain in the ass to have to disassemble if we needed to use the truck while up at the track.

I'm a camping newbie, so any help is appreciated.
    Bring a few extra hundred first weekend. Instead of spending $100 on a tent that'll leave you wet anyway, spend $200 and get a camper that stays there?

Just a thought. I bought my first LRRS tramper for $300 and ended up scrapping it, spent $300 (including a $200 season storage, so really only $100) on the replacement. There's something to be said for a bed, a sink, a stove, etc.

Post up on NEAR if you go this route. I think BJ is selling Kevins trailer. I can email or text him direct if you're interested.

If you try this and end up fucked the first weekend as a result, you and your wimmen can crash in the extra bed in my camper. I sleep nekkid and wimmenz gravitate to my nuts. Just giving you a heads up. kinda fucking with you, if you and Anillisa (SP?) end up staying in my camper I'll keep my nuts in my pants

Highly reccommend a trailer to sleep in. I can heat mine with a little electric heater and cool it down with a fan.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Not sure on brands of tents, if that's what you are looking for. I suggest camping in the grass as opposed to the dirt for two reasons. One being it will be softer and 2nd you wont track dirt into your tent and sheets, I suggest a small inexpensive tent and focusing your time and money on like a 10 foot trailer that will when unloaded, will fit a air mattress nicely. This is the road I took and I have a 16 foot trailer now and looking to take the next step to either a toy hauler or a goose neck like 20ft -30ft and make it into a garage/camper. Hope this helps

A trailer isn't an option, as I don't have a place to store it. Condo docs do not allow it. Eventually, we're looking to get a horse trailer, but that's probably not for a couple of years.

|

You could store the trailer at the track...

As for a tent, get something big enough to put an air mattress in and run an extension cord with a little heater. Ask Rob and Kiera. They had like a Taj ma Christian.

Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

A trailer isn't an option, as I don't have a place to store it. Condo docs do not allow it. Eventually, we're looking to get a horse trailer, but that's probably not for a couple of years.
    Buy one already grandfathered in and pay the $200/season to leave it there? That's how I handled the same situation...

Quote Originally Posted by "Dangerous" Dan K View Post
    Buy one already grandfathered in and pay the $200/season to leave it there? That's how I handled the same situation...
    How much longer are they going to do that?

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

I used a $25 dome tent from Walmart, cheapest, smallest pile of crud they had. Stupid thing survived a year at LRRS without issue, including one hell of a thunderstorm without leaking.

Personally, I like dome tents. Easy to setup and take down solo, easy to get an effective rain fly on. The primary downside is they don't tend to be tall if you want to walk around in them.

If camping in the infield on the rocks, grab a spare tarp large to cover the footprint of the tarp when folded in half, and a folding mattress is a nice plus.

My rig consists of a small(2 person) dome tent, a mummy bag, a pillow, some roadracingworld mags, a cooler, and a flashlight... just thinking about it makes me want to say fuck it and spend the 75/night for the redroof inn.

LRRS am #121

"So this is what your race program has become... the back of a pickup truck huh?" -PK

Quote Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
    just thinking about it makes me want to say fuck it and spend the 75/night for the redroof inn.
    Annalisa and I had a talk about it over the weekend, weighing the pros and cons of camping vs staying at hotels.

Since I travel for work, I have stored up some points. Some of which we're using for stays for racing and track days.

The only 2 pros for staying at the track are to hang out late, without having to drive back anywhere and the cost.

I would hate to buy all the gear only to hate the camping thing. Our ultimate goal is to pick up a horse trailer and have it pull double duty, hauling both her horse and bikes. But that's a ways off in our future.

|

If you want cheap start looking on CL or eBay for a family car-camping tent with standing headroom or close to it.

Ironically some cheap car camping tents hold up far better for this use than expensive but much lighter backcamping tents. The low-end car camping market is Coleman's power alley, but Cabellas, REI, LLBean, Eureka and others all make good ones.

eureka makes a great tent, ive used mine for years and never got wet. you can get a cheap sleeping at walmart, and grab a blow up matress. then get a lamp to hang in the tent. as good as home!

CCS/LRRS EX #226
    LOW DOWN RACING

Current stable:
    2008 hyper 1100
    2007 crf450r
    2009 yz450f
    2008 sikk mx 125 minimoto

Camping at the track is far better for that reason, hanging out with friends at the end of the day. (and not having to drive back to the Red Roof wasted lol)

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (HTC EVO "DROID" : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

If you don't want to get a trailer, then get a decent size tent. One you can stand in. Some even have "porches". Chances are youll never say, "this tent is too big", but you will say its too small. If you can get a tent that you can get a "footprint" for then get it.
    Make a trip to the kittery trading post or LL bean.
    Also get a tarp or ezup that will fit over it, because some of the rain up there can be hurricane like.
    I highly suggest the the camper route. Get one that's grandfathered in, and if you can't then you can usually park it at a storage unit for a monthly fee, or you can do what I did and knock on doors and ask a local and offer them some $.
    One rainy weekend and having to pack up a soaking wet tent in the rain and you'll be fed up with that route. Not to mention having to unpack it, set it up, dry it out, and pack it up when you get home.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Shasta Mcnasty is for sale!!!

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Wirelessly posted (HTC EVO "DROID" : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

There you go, that thing is perfect. You'll be happier you have a roof, heat, comfortable sleeping quarters, and a comfy place to hang out and change....not to mention ability to cook and have electricity.

TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

SHASTA!

camped out for track days and its not bad. I'm pretty broke and need to save every $ i can so investing in a little camping gear was no problem.

I tented on the grass along the T2-T3 straight. Ran a tarp off the fence over the tent to keep us dry. Its work awesome for me. Got a nice queen sized air mattress, nice coleman tent and sleeping bag, couple blankets.

www.bostonmoto.com
    2009 Zx-6r--17,680 miles and counting!!
    2008 ZZR600 - - - 10,268 miles totaled
    Ride to live, live to ride

My advice:

get off the ground as soon as possible.

I have a tent you can have free, good size, can fit 3 queen size mattresses on floor, if i remember correctly... stand up in the middle. cost me about $120 new..... downside of it comes with "custom" doggey door. Meet my dog and you would understand. Let me know if you want it.

LRRS Expert #99
    08 R6

"why tip-toe through life to arrive safely at death?" Tony Campol

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    To quote PK, I "went in too hot and ran out of talent".

Justin im surprised there was a tent left if that's what happened lol

Quote Originally Posted by lrrs699 View Post
    My advice:

get off the ground as soon as possible.

I have a tent you can have free, good size, can fit 3 queen size mattresses on floor, if i remember correctly... stand up in the middle. cost me about $120 new..... downside of it comes with "custom" doggey door. Meet my dog and you would understand. Let me know if you want it.

please note: Tent is never to be used for a dog or any animal!!! poor Titan almost died in that thing!

I was fortunate enough to have a friend with a camper the first time around.

If I go it it again by myself I'll get an enclosed trailer and thrown an inflatabed in there.

Why not camp in a tent when the weather is nice and if it looks like it's going to turn to shit go get a hotel? Oh wait it's loudon. . .

Via priceline bidding I was bangin out rooms in the Hampton Inn in Concord for $40 a night.....

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

$40 x 8 nights (minimum for the season) = $320
    $40 x 17 nights = $680
    How much is the shasta mcnasty?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast