Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Yates issues apology

Yates issues apology

FIRST PERSON/OPINION:

Via E-mail:

Racing has extreme highs and extreme lows. It almost seems like there's no in-between when you race at the level that I do. For me, after racing 170 grueling miles, I realized that I had a chance to win the race.

With about eight laps to go, I came up on some lapped riders. I set up to pass, using the same racing line that I'd been using on this part of the track all day - in both the 200 and in the 600 SuperSport race.

I came through on the brakes on the outside and in my peripheral vision I saw a rider stand his bike up. So I got on the brakes harder and stood my bike up a bit to give him some room. But I was running out of racetrack.

We went down and were sliding toward the wall and I was honestly thinking that I was going to break both of my legs. Thankfully, the impact was softer than I'd anticipated. I got up thinking that I'd raced 49 laps with eight left to go and a second-place finish in the Daytona 200 was down the drain.

I couldn't believe that this was actually happening. But I never had any intention of hurting anyone. The last thing that I want is for people to get hurt at the track. This is not the way that I wanted to look back on Daytona '04. And this is definitely not what I want the race fans to think of when they think of me.

I'm just so sorry that the whole incident ever happened. And I'm sorry if my actions offended or disappointed anyone.

Aaron Yates

What a self-centered prick. Is that an apology to Fania? I think not. He had no intention of hurting Fania when he drop-kicked him in the back while he was pulling himself up using the barrier?! And he didn't mean to hurt him when he head-butted him either? As a newcomer fan to roadracing, I find it both surprising and dissappointing that the AMA has not acted. And if they are going to, they are taking far too long to address this event.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

2003 Yamaha R6
    1999 Yamaha YZ400

Yates issues apology

He can't acknowledge any wrong doing; going to court on this one!

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

Yates issues apology

Good point. But like you said, maybe if he was truly sorry and had made it apparent, he wouldn't be headed there.

2003 Yamaha R6
    1999 Yamaha YZ400

aka Johnny Valve Stem need4speed's Avatar

Yates issues apology

Apologies are usually made to the parties involved. All I read is a statement from a person trying hard not to admit he was wrong. Atleast Suzuki had the balls to fine him 25k which IMO was to little.

John
    LRRS\CCS #714
    2004 Duc 620 monster racebike
    89 EX500 racebike - sold
    98 Superhawk 996

"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge it, requires brains".