Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

01 gsxr 750 Steering bearing replacement questions

01 gsxr 750 Steering bearing replacement questions

I need to pull the bearing race from steering stem (01 GSXR 750). I will need to press new race and reassemble everything. I have read plenty of threads and the manual, so I have a theoretical understanding of the procedure. I have never done it before. What tools should I use, and should I buy or rent them? Motion pro has a nice tool set for $130-ish, but I am looking for something cheap. I don't do these for a living, just work on my own bikes. Your suggestions and pointers would be very much appreciated.

Is there any advantage to "all balls" aftermarket steering head bearings?

I will also need to replace front and rear wheel bearings. Looks fairly straightforward. Any gotchas I should watch out for?

P.S. I do have an arbor press, but no arbors. I can buy or make arbors for it if necessary.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: 01 gsxr 750 Steering bearing replacement questions

I've always made a chisel/drift/etc work just fine for changing steering head bearings.

I've used AllBalls for all my bikes. I approve of their stuff. Available cheap on Amazon, just look up the part number on the AllBalls site.

Do you have a large assortment of sockets? Especially bigger ones? Then you are good assuming you have a mallet.

Getting the old races out is the hardest part. For the steering stem, a cold chisel works wonders by working around the base between the lower triple and the race. Or, just Dremel it off with a cutting wheel.

For the races in the frame, it depends on the bike. Some frames have a notch that allow you to get a good hit on the race from above/below to get them out. Others are pretty well protected from any hit pushing them outwards. If you have access to a cheap welder, just run a bead on the inside of the race for about an inch. Half the time the race will FALL out of the bike as it cools. I used a HF $80 flux core 110v welder for this.

For reassembly, you've had the new outer races in the freezer, along with the steering stem right? RIGHT? Cause they get a tiny bit smaller when they are cold... and it makes assembly all kinds of easier. I generally use the old trashed bearing race as a "drift" to get the new one onto the steering stem.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Clayton,
    I really appreciate your sage advice and ideas. Thank you very much!

I do have a pretty extensive collection of sockets, including some large ones, a MIG/flux welder, a plasma cutter and a South Bend metal lathe (I need to finish setting it up). Once the lathe is up and running I'd simply make the tools I need, but sadly I am not there yet.

I am wondering if I should try to find a cheap surplus dewar flask, I am not sure where mine disappeared. Liquid nitrogen is cheap, and it works extremely well for shrinking things prior to installation.

Banned

GSXRs have notches in steering head bearing seats. Simply bang out the races. You'll need an air chisel to remove the race on the triple.

Put new bearings and races in the freezer and gently heat the steering head or wheel with propane before you drop the races or bearings in. Have a socket the side of the OUTER race ready to gently tap in if needed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Degs, if you put the bearings (with integrated inner races) in the freezer, won't they also shrink?

I've had good luck leaving those out in the warm, while freezing the steering stem/triple itself.

A large wood block is handy for putting the stem on while giving the chisel a few good wacks to the bottom race.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Throwing a bead on is pretty clever, I'm not sure how much faith I have in my welding skills though!

The stem nuts are easy enough, but I do like having a proper tool, especially for torquing them back down. Usually I'd pony up the cash but the tool was very pricey for my '05 GSXR and no alternative from Motion Pro. I made one out of a 32m socket and it worked great. Not very pretty but a little time with the Dremel and some cursing was worth it.

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350