Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Winter prep for a bike that was never prepped for riding season.

Winter prep for a bike that was never prepped for riding season.

Hey NESR, I'm looking for some elementary maintenance advice. My bike (SV, fuel injected) did not see much action this season. In fact, it didn't see any. I drained the oil late-Spring and got all the materials to prep it for the season, then life, travel, etc. interrupted things. It has effectively been sitting for 12 months up on a rear-stand with a little gas in the tank and the battery disconnected in my basement. The drain plug and filter have been off since June.

What should I do at this time of the year? Should I put the new oil & filter in it, along with a fresh tank of petrol, some stabilizer, and put it away for the winter? An important thing to note is that I didn't put stabilizer in it last fall, so the gas is probably far gone at this point. I have some Sea Foam additive that I was going to run through it earlier this season. With the old gas in mind, should I put the Sea Foam in there, change the oil, and run it a bit to make sure the old gas it out of the system? Would it be better to do that step before putting it away for winter, since I didn't do it last year. Thanks!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2004 SV650S

Re: Winter prep for a bike that was never prepped for riding season.

If this were my bike I'd quick dump about 1/2 at of oil through the engine with the drain still removed. My concern would be dust and dirt that could have found its way into the pan while it sat and I would not want to circulate those contaminates right off the bat.
    After that I'd fill with fresh oil, top the tank off and go for a 10+ mile ride to burn the old fuel, add Seafoam and store for the winter.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Winter prep for a bike that was never prepped for riding season.

I'll give that a go. Thanks for the advice.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2004 SV650S